Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    OK, I know what the press release SAYS, but how likely do you guys think it's going to be to actually see these things at Cingular retail stores this Friday?

Everyone I've talked to locally about the 680 says..680? What 680? Nope. We know NOTTA about arrival of a 680.

So, either we live in podunkville, or it's going to be..spotty availability.

I know I can order on palm.com and wait for shipping (reported "1-2 weeks" - probably quicker), but I'm an instant gratification sorta guy and want to go get one NOW (OK..Friday).

What do you guys think? And, can anyone think of a really compelling reason to go unlocked v. branded, when it's $200 difference up front and the only other network an unlocked one will work on in the US (at least right now) is T-Mobile?

- PB
    Why ? add some color in your life. And some of us have ATT and we don't wish to upgrade our plan.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    OK, I know what the press release SAYS, but how likely do you guys think it's going to be to actually see these things at Cingular retail stores this Friday?

Everyone I've talked to locally about the 680 says..680? What 680? Nope. We know NOTTA about arrival of a 680.

I know I can order on palm.com and wait for shipping (reported "1-2 weeks" - probably quicker), but I'm an instant gratification sorta guy and want to go get one NOW (OK..Friday).

What do you guys think? And, can anyone think of a really compelling reason to go unlocked v. branded, when it's $200 difference up front and the only other network an unlocked one will work on in the US (at least right now) is T-Mobile?

- PB
  3.    #3  
    Ah, gotcha. But I'm on Sprint today and would have to drop that obviously, so..

Plus, I'm probably going w/the Graphite anyway.

So, for a "new" Cingular customer going Graphite..probably no reason to fork over the extra $200, right?

- PB
    Well ya Palmbear if you need a contract than go with Cingular...That would make sense
    Why buy a locked phone when Palm is selling the cheapest unlocked Treo ever? I paid more than that for the 650 locked! The phone will be yours entirely should you decide to go to T-Mobile or even just travel overseas. You don't have to beg Cingular for the unlock code.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Why buy a locked phone when Palm is selling the cheapest unlocked Treo ever? I paid more than that for the 650 locked! The phone will be yours entirely should you decide to go to T-Mobile or even just travel overseas. You don't have to beg Cingular for the unlock code.
    Yeah, but the difference is $200. And I just read in Wikipedia (under the GSM entry) that Cingular will do unlocks after 3 months of service. Is this true?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ONLY other US carrier that I can use this phone on is T-Mobile, right? No Sprint or Verizon since they aren't GSM capable?
    The $200 savings happiness will wear off when you look at your bill, LOL! Don't you have to have a data plan to get the $199 deal? If you were on Sprint, be prepared for a rude awakening. Cingular will be collecting LOTS of money for giving you $200 off.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Yeah, but the difference is $200. And I just read in Wikipedia (under the GSM entry) that Cingular will do unlocks after 3 months of service. Is this true?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ONLY other US carrier that I can use this phone on is T-Mobile, right? No Sprint or Verizon since they aren't GSM capable?
    Cellular One is GSM in the US.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts

- PB
    To get that $200 discount you need the $40 data plan, at least at signing, so in 10 months you would end up paying Cingular that $200 back. And then you still have 14 months left to go on your contract.

I've heard that you can sign up for the $40 data plan and then downgrade it to the $20 plan after a few months. That would help, but you still lose a couple of months of $20 extra.

Since you don't have a GSM contract at the moment, you're going to get sucked into a 2-year commitment, anyway. No loss there.

So by going with Cingular branded and locked, you'll end up saving somewhere around $160, instead of $200. Still, that's not bad. The only downside is if you were planning on taking it overseas. And even then you could convince Cingular to unlock it for you, most likely.

If I were you, I'd definitely be considering the locked Cingular.

Then again, in a year, Palm could come out with a CDMA-only Treo that kicks the 680's ****, and you'd have to pay more than $160 to get out of your two-year commitment with Cingular in order to get one from Sprint. That's something to consider, too.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    In Illinois Cellular One was Cingular. Where is Cellular One still Cellular One? Just curious.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Here is a funny story for you all.

I called one of my local stores and asked if they had a 680. The gentleman that I spoke with stated yes, but they would not sell them until they sold all of the remaining 650's.

I couldn't even find the effort to argue with him.

Wow, my first post. I knew I was a lurker, but I didn't think I was this bad.
  12.    #12  
    Answering my own question after calling a bunch of local Cingular stores..

Not bloody likely AT ALL (that it will be in [many if any] stores on Friday).

Guess it's another example of "marketing v. reality"!

(Most didn't even KNOW there was a 680 coming. I mean..do these people even read their emails?)

I only found ONE store at the local big mega mall that knew squat about it..and at least he thought he MAY have it in Friday, but "there's a lot of people waiting for it" so it doesn't sound likely I'm going to be able to get one anytime soon..

The saga continues..
    In Illinois Cellular One was Cingular. Where is Cellular One still Cellular One? Just curious.
    Here in New York, PA and most states. They partner w/T Mobile.

http://cellularone.com/Home2.asp
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoD_E View Post
    Same here....
    Quote Originally Posted by newtonjack View Post
    Here in New York, PA and most states. They partner w/T Mobile.

http://cellularone.com/Home2.asp

https://www.celloneusa.com/ECellPort...ansAndCoverage
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dsun View Post
    Same here....
    Haha. We got some catching up to do.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoD_E View Post
    Here is a funny story for you all.

I called one of my local stores and asked if they had a 680. The gentleman that I spoke with stated yes, but they would not sell them until they sold all of the remaining 650's.

I couldn't even find the effort to argue with him.

Well it looks like you'll have to find another local store who won't pull that crap on you. How rediculous. I'd go in and have someone else tell me. It's like saying "we have the new 2007 Silverados, but we aren't going to sell them until all the 2006 Silverados are sold. Sorry!"
    The $200 savings happiness will wear off when you look at your bill, LOL! Don't you have to have a data plan to get the $199 deal? If you were on Sprint, be prepared for a rude awakening. Cingular will be collecting LOTS of money for giving you $200 off.
    Oh.. you can get the phone and the plan... and one month later.. call in to the customer service and cancel your data plan.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stl08 View Post
    Well it looks like you'll have to find another local store who won't pull that crap on you. How rediculous. I'd go in and have someone else tell me. It's like saying "we have the new 2007 Silverados, but we aren't going to sell them until all the 2006 Silverados are sold. Sorry!"
    That's exactly what I said to my buddy just a minute ago.....Sorry sir, we can't sell you this car until the 2006 models are gone.

I have a guy at another store that is hooking me up. I just can't believe how some folks are. Such is life I guess.
    That is a totally dumb strategy by that store! Turn away people who want the new phone so they can go buy the unlocked somewhere else, also not buying a 2 year contract with a data plan. Good business sense!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast