Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I was told by Palm that Cingular retail stores will be fully stocked for black Friday. You shouldn't have any problems finding them.
    Jimmie Geddes
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    I was told by Palm that Cingular retail stores will be fully stocked for black Friday. You shouldn't have any problems finding them.
    Hey, appreciate the update, but EVERY store except 1 around here is saying it will be WEEKS (at least) until they get ONE in.

So, this "fully stocked" seems to be a bit of hooey, or the local stores don't have a clue what's going on..

- PB
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I went into the Cingular store today and they have seven.
    The store by my work has plenty in stock but won't sell me one today - they say "Friday".
    The store by my house doesn't have any.
    How inconvenient is that when I DON'T WORK THIS FRIDAY??!!
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by JRoD_E View Post
    Here is a funny story for you all.

I called one of my local stores and asked if they had a 680. The gentleman that I spoke with stated yes, but they would not sell them until they sold all of the remaining 650's.

I couldn't even find the effort to argue with him.

Wow, my first post. I knew I was a lurker, but I didn't think I was this bad.
    Another funny story. I contract at AT&T in Schaumburg that houses AT&T and Cingular corporate. Cingular had demo booths set up to sign up their own people with Cingular, offering the corporate discount for plans and phones (the employees need persuasion). So I go up to the booth and ask if they have the Treo 680. The guy says no, but that the have them in the nearby retail store, but they aren't for sale yet, won't be until black Friday. I asked if they had demos that I could test out, and he says sure they had a couple, and he hands me a card for the store. I go over to the retail store and ask to see the Treo 680. The guys said that hadn't received any yet. I said one of their corporate reps at the compound told me that the store had them and had just sent me over. So the guys at the store call the rep, they go look in the back room, come back out empty handed - no sorry, they didn't have any yet. So I ask where that rep is so I can go slap him for sending me over to the store on a wild goose chase, and the guys just roll their eyes and say, back at corporate.

So who knows what really is going on....?
    Friday is the day I was told. They said Cingular retail stores will be fully stocked for black Friday, they said they know that it's the biggest shopping day of the year, and will be ready. This came from Palm.
    Jimmie Geddes
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmieGeddes View Post
    Friday is the day I was told. They said Cingular retail stores will be fully stocked for black Friday, they said they know that it's the biggest shopping day of the year, and will be ready. This came from Palm.
    OK..sure hope so. Maybe it's just our area (SE Michigan), but only ONE guy in the 10 or so stores I talked to knew diddly about it - and most of them told me outright not to expect inventory "for weeks".

I'll visit a couple of stores on Friday but really don't expect to see any in stock.

Maybe it varies by area (of the country)?
    I just ordered the unlocked version at Palm .. .but yesterday I dropped by the Cingular store on 3rd and Market in San Francisco and asked if I could see a demo (dummy) version of the Treo 680. First he pointed me to the poster and said that was all they had but I insisted that they probably have at least a mockup I could hold just to get a feel for the size etc and compare it to my aging but reliable Treo 600. After trying to convince the non-helpful sales guy another worker behind the register spoke up and said "yeah we have a mockup in the back of the storeroom". So after some nudging he begrudgingly went back and came out with the phone .. when I looked at it I wondered why it had all the clear plastic protection stuff on it and then he said - I couldn't find the mockup so here is a real one.

So at least that store has a real one and I held it. It had no battery installed and I couldn't push him further to put one in. I suspect that was stock for sale this Friday but he would not confirm (nor deny) anything.
    I just purchased my 680 from Cingular in Memphis TN.
    The store closest to the house didn't recieve any on the truck today. So I guess it will be next week for me.

Unless the sales clerk is fibbing and they are saving them til Friday. One can only hope.

I do have a manager at another store watching for me but not going to hold my breath.

I just have to keep reminding myself that I have a perfectly good, yet weathered, Treo 650 that will do just fine until I get the 680.
    I have to ask one thing. Is the only reason several people are waiting for the stores the price of the phone on contract?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I have to ask one thing. Is the only reason several people are waiting for the stores the price of the phone on contract?
    Yep. Likely will replace both mine and my wife's 650 so the contract discount will help.

Curious... for those who bought online, what is the estimated ship date?
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Curious... for those who bought online, what is the estimated ship date?
    From my purchase email:
    This automated email is to confirm that we have received your order, which we are currently processing.

PalmŪ Treo(TM) 680 smartphone orders may take an additional 1-2 weeks to ship.Visit http://web.palm.com/support/special_shipping_msg.jhtml to get the latest shipping estimates.
    me too.
    This sucks wwaiting. My treo will be picked up in 2 hours. What will I do then
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    No. More like the instant gratification of not having to wait on shipping.

IF they have them on Friday (which I still think is unlikely), we can get one NOW, vs. later.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    It's a thing of beauty.

Can't complain about the price, but I do have an issue with the phone. It sounds like something is rattling inside. I thought it might be the stylus, but after removing it, it still rattles.

I will hold off on taking it back to see if some of you are having this issue as well.
    Last edited by JRoD_E; 11/22/2006 at 05:48 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12