1.    #1  
    I saw that the 680 is available for purchase on the US palm site but I didn't see it available as an upgrade option on the Cingular site. Is palm really selling the phones now or are they still in some sort of preorder phase? Why aren't they offering a discount option for upgraders? I want to upgrade my phone but I don't want to pay $400 for an unlocked GSM version if I can get it for less by upgrading.
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    If you want to do it through the website, you have to wait until 22 of your 24 month contract has passed. It lists the date when you can upgrade your phone. You may try and call them and see if you can renew your contract.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I see the option to upgrade on the site but I don't see the 680 listed anywhere on the site...
    Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 600 (T-Mo) --> Treo 180 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 (T-Mo) --> Treo 650 NC (Cing) --> Treo 680 (Cing) --> Pre (Sprint)

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    Yeah, I see the option to upgrade on the site but I don't see the 680 listed anywhere on the site...
    It will be available on the website on Friday. That's the "official" release date of the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk5 View Post
    I saw that the 680 is available for purchase on the US palm site but I didn't see it available as an upgrade option on the Cingular site. Is palm really selling the phones now or are they still in some sort of preorder phase? Why aren't they offering a discount option for upgraders? I want to upgrade my phone but I don't want to pay $400 for an unlocked GSM version if I can get it for less by upgrading.
    I did an upgrade at the Cingular Store yesterday. It was $299 with a $100 Rebate. I had to change my plan to get the rebate, but had them guarantee me (in writing), that I could go back to my medianet plan after I submitted the rebate if I was not 100% satisfied with the performance of the new data plan.

So with the upgrade and rebate, it's net $199 for the 680, but $20 per month more for data plan...so over 2 years, it's no bargain...but such is life. I will most likely switch back after the first of the year, and take a $20 hit for 1 or 2 months to get the rebate, and actually see if there is a difference.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
  6.    #6  
    Is there a discount option without the unlimited data plan?

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    I did an upgrade at the Cingular Store yesterday. It was $299 with a $100 Rebate. I had to change my plan to get the rebate, but had them guarantee me (in writing), that I could go back to my medianet plan after I submitted the rebate if I was not 100% satisfied with the performance of the new data plan.

So with the upgrade and rebate, it's net $199 for the 680, but $20 per month more for data plan...so over 2 years, it's no bargain...but such is life. I will most likely switch back after the first of the year, and take a $20 hit for 1 or 2 months to get the rebate, and actually see if there is a difference.
    Did you have to upgrade your plan because there was a minimum monthly talk plan? Did you already have a data plan and they made you get a different plan or did you not have a data plan at all? I am on the $20 unlimited plan already and so obviously I would not want to change that to a $40 plan. and I have the 2000 mins. plan at $99. If they are going to try and make me switch plans I would just buy a Treo 680 from Palm rather then Cingular.

jOHN
    I just got my 680 from Cingular yesterday (I'm in North Carolina) but Cingular doesn't cover Treos with their insurance. I discovered this the hard way when they told me I had been paying $3.99 a month for insurance on my 650 for over two years, and if I had lost it, I would not have been covered. Also, Cingular required me to sign up for their $39.99 "unlimited Internet/Email/Data plan, which I did. I never did Email, etc. with the 650 so I figured I'd bite the bullet and give it a try.
    Quote Originally Posted by billwill View Post
    I just got my 680 from Cingular yesterday (I'm in North Carolina) but Cingular doesn't cover Treos with their insurance. I discovered this the hard way when they told me I had been paying $3.99 a month for insurance on my 650 for over two years, and if I had lost it, I would not have been covered. Also, Cingular required me to sign up for their $39.99 "unlimited Internet/Email/Data plan, which I did. I never did Email, etc. with the 650 so I figured I'd bite the bullet and give it a try.
    Get them to credit you for the insurance you have been paying for!!! I did!!! It will help pay for the time that you will be on the higher data plan. Get your rebate filled out and sent in. When you get the rebate cards, switch back to the $19.99 plan. I made them give me a written approval to do that, and it is exactly waht I am going to do. So I will pay $20 more for data for a couple of months to see if there is any difference (wee all know that there is NOT), and then switch back!!!
    Rewards Network

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by light3944 View Post
    Did you have to upgrade your plan because there was a minimum monthly talk plan? Did you already have a data plan and they made you get a different plan or did you not have a data plan at all? I am on the $20 unlimited plan already and so obviously I would not want to change that to a $40 plan. and I have the 2000 mins. plan at $99. If they are going to try and make me switch plans I would just buy a Treo 680 from Palm rather then Cingular.

jOHN
    I did not HAVE to upgrade anything. I was eligable to upgrade my phone, and I kept that same voice plan. I had to get the higher date plan to get the rebate. I am going to switch back after I get the rebate.
    Rewards Network

Do any of you go through Cingular Premier website? I upgraded my phone that way. It was $274 for the phone plus $18 for the upgrade fee. It came out to $304 shipped overnight
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    I did not HAVE to upgrade anything. I was eligable to upgrade my phone, and I kept that same voice plan. I had to get the higher date plan to get the rebate. I am going to switch back after I get the rebate.
    Hum...rather then take a chance on loosing my $20 (unlimited) data plan that took me 6 months for them to correctly give me I think I will just go through Palm and get an Artic Treo 680 and trade in my 650 for the $125. Also why would they charge you $18 upgrade fee when all you do is move the SIM card from one phone to the next? I thought about putting the $40 data plan on another phone (I have 3 in my plan) to get the rebate but if it only takes 2 months to get the rebate that is still $80 to get the $100 so not really a big savings. i guess I will call the SF Palm store and see if they have them in stock and maybe I will have it tonight!
    Hey light we only have copper left until tomorrow. We almost completely sold out yesterday because of all of our TreoCentral friends. I'm a cingular customer too and I went through palm because they don't offer insurance. One of the nice things about dealing direct with the store in that situation is. Well with the exception of you losing it. Anything that goes wrong with the phone like a defective screen or just not acting right. You can call me, Johnnie, or mike. You will get a brand new treo instead of getting a refurbished one. We don't carry refurbished treos at the store so we have to give you a new one. Now I also put my phone under my renters insurance for lost.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Treo View Post
    Hey light we only have copper left until tomorrow. We almost completely sold out yesterday because of all of our TreoCentral friends. I'm a cingular customer too and I went through palm because they don't offer insurance. One of the nice things about dealing direct with the store in that situation is. Well with the exception of you losing it. Anything that goes wrong with the phone like a defective screen or just not acting right. You can call me, Johnnie, or mike. You will get a brand new treo instead of getting a refurbished one. We don't carry refurbished treos at the store so we have to give you a new one. Now I also put my phone under my renters insurance for lost.
    Hey Johnnie, I just called the SF Palm store and asked for you and they said they did not have any one by that name. I want to get the Artic 680 and the person on the line said that they could not hold one but would call (there is a list) when a shipment comes in.

jOHN
  15.    #15  
    I was able to upgrade my plan through the Cingular website Thanksgiving Day and got my phone the Monday after. I am fairly disappointed with the battery life but everything else is good. I didn't sign up for the data plan for the extra $100 off (because it isn't a deal at all) so I had to pay $300 for it. All in all, I am happy with the purchase but as soon as I find a larger battery that will fit in the phone (650's won't) I am buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady_Treo View Post
    How does the insurance work? How long is it good for? Does it apply to units purchased through the Palm website or just through oen fo the stores?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geeper View Post
    How does the insurance work? How long is it good for? Does it apply to units purchased through the Palm website or just through oen fo the stores?
    The insurance is a rider for communications devise that is applied to your renters or home owners insurance policy for lost or stollen device. I pay and additional $15 on my annual policy. I believe what Johnnie was talking about is if there is a defectuve problem with the Treo under warrenty. At Cingular you have to send your phone in and you are sent a replacement which is usually a refirb.