1.    #1  
    Hey, gang.

If I want to buy an unlocked 680 and add Cingular separately, can I get the $19.99 MediaNet plan? Or are they going to try to force me into the $39.99 "PDA" plan?

Anyone know how to do this and for sure one way or the other if it's even possible? I did go to the Cingular website (from palm.com) and the $19.99 plan is not even listed as an option, so I have no idea how to "trick" the system into getting it..

Also - how about T-Mobile? Can I buy a plan from them without a phone once I already have the unlocked 680? (Sorry..dumb question..I know about SIM cards etc but have no idea how to go about buying service without the phone to go with it..)

TIA..

- PB
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Doing it over the phone is the best way to ensure getting the cheaper plan. Also, I changed my $40 plan to the $20 MEdiaNet plan with an online rep. She told me that I had to keep the PDA net plan because of my phone, but I told her that I had a Razr now, and she took it right off.
    No you cannot. As the Cingular folks and I talked about this the other day, they will charge you the $40 PDA plan as because of the keyboard it is looked at as a data device moreso than 12-keyed smarpthones (!!!).

You can grandfather in the $19.99 plan if you already have it, but sometime next year Cingular will be cracking down on folks with PDA phones who have that lower priced plan.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  5.    #5  
    So how does one go about getting a SIM card for an unlocked 680, without buying another phone (or having one already)?

I'd like to buy an unlocked 680, then sign up for service separately. But, I assume they won't sell me a plan with a SIM encoded for the $19.99 MediaNet option, right? Or, do I buy the service with the PDANet at $39.99/mo, get a SIM from Cingular, call a CSR and try to "downgrade" it to the MediaNet at $19.99/mo? (Or, buy a plan without data service, then call up and have someone add the $19.99 version?)

Still confused..

- PB
    I would order the unlocked 680 from Palm. Then I would go to Cingular and get their cheapest (or even free) phone and add the 19.99 plan. Get home and swap your SIM card into the 680 and problem solved. Thats exactly what I did 2 years ago with the old school 19.99 mediaWorks plan. Its a bunch of jibberish about speeds and such on the PDA plan.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Its a bunch of jibberish about speeds and such on the PDA plan.
    This is true in terms of speed and accessilbity. However that won't be the case forever, Cingular is really looking hard at folks who have higher than "acceptable" use and those will be the ones who are pushed.

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    So how does one go about getting a SIM card for an unlocked 680, without buying another phone (or having one already)?

I'd like to buy an unlocked 680, then sign up for service separately. But, I assume they won't sell me a plan with a SIM encoded for the $19.99 MediaNet option, right? Or, do I buy the service with the PDANet at $39.99/mo, get a SIM from Cingular, call a CSR and try to "downgrade" it to the MediaNet at $19.99/mo? (Or, buy a plan without data service, then call up and have someone add the $19.99 version?)

Still confused..

- PB
    --what firefinder24 said.

You can buy one of the free phones from Cingular online and pick the $19.99 MEdiaMax 200 option. 200 messages and unlimited data. Then take the SIM from that phone and use it in your Treo. Keep the phone as a back-up.

They do have a few pretty nice free phones, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    This is true in terms of speed and accessilbity. However that won't be the case forever, Cingular is really looking hard at folks who have higher than "acceptable" use and those will be the ones who are pushed.
    True, especially with the keyword being "pushed"! I use an average of 50 MB a month (constant over the past 2 years) on mine and have never been "persuaded" to switch plans. If they do contact you, hold steadfast, they can't "force" you to switch.
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Interesting though......go to this link:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo680/index.html?creativeID=HmPg_BB|treo680_buy_now

then on the right column, run your mouse over "service plans" - granted it's palms site, but look what it says for featured plans and pricing under Cingular; voice plan - 400 min @ 39.99; data plan - unlimited @ $20.00. Just found it interesting!
  11.    #11  
    Thanks, gang.

Complicating things even further - my company has a "corporate agreement" with Cingular that has certain features, including "basic" data (whatever THAT is!).

If I did as suggested above (got a free phone, $19.99 MediaNet plan), a couple of questions:

- Do ALL phones use a SIM card? And are they compatible with the 680? (How do I know which "free" phone to get? Do they all have SIMs that are the same size, compatible with the 680, etc?)

- I've managed to stay off of the corporate plan since I have Sprint today. If I get Cingular, they'll likely force me to be on the "corporate" plan, and I don't know what that will do to my data capabilities. They claim to have "basic data" (whatever that is..anyone know?) Any creative ways around this that anyone can think of?

- Because of the Cingular corporate thing, I've thought about keeping Sprint and - gulp - going the 700P instead. But the darn thing looks like a Beta release, with all the lockups, etc I've read about on the forums. So, given the choice, what would you guys do - get the 700P & stay with Sprint and be independent (and not forced onto the corporate plan with Cingular), or risk corporate smacking me down and possibly limiting the usefulness of the 680 on their "basic" data plan?

- Third option is to get unlocked and go T-Mobile, but the coverage map doesn't look great for my house, where I work 75% of the time..

Ah, nothing is ever simple..

Thanks for any/all help! You guys rock.

- PB
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Interesting though......go to this link:

http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo680/index.html?creativeID=HmPg_BB|treo680_buy_now

then on the right column, run your mouse over "service plans" - granted it's palms site, but look what it says for featured plans and pricing under Cingular; voice plan - 400 min @ 39.99; data plan - unlimited @ $20.00. Just found it interesting!
    Interesting..but when you try to actually buy a plan, the only options that come up are the $39.99 and IM bundles!

Anyone know how to actually place an order on Palm's site for this "unlimited" data option with Cingular?
    PalmBear, the SIM from your free phone will work fine in the 680. HOwever, Sprint and Verizon don't use SIM cards and so don't try to play this shell game with those carriers.

The 700p does seem to need a ROM fix, and that could come at any point in the next month as Palm usually handles ROM updates well and clear of model introductions. It would be a slightly better device (faster data, bigger battery, more pixels with the camera). But the 680 ain't a slouch.

PalmBear. Yes on the Sim Card issue, they are 100% similar on all Cingular phones. I was in the same boat as you two years ago, and have been happy since coming over to Cingular. The bright side is Cingular has a 30 day trial. You can get your "free" phone with the 20.00 data plan, try it in your unlocked Treo, and if you don't like it, you can deactivate your plan.
    Also, I signed up under our work plan. I was able to pick any plan I wanted and get a 15% discount on such plan for my monthly bill. Go to the business website, enter your email address and it will tell you if you qualify for the discount. This way you get to take advantage of your corporation being with Cingular, but you get to pick whatever plan you want.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by firefinder24 View Post
    Also, I signed up under our work plan. I was able to pick any plan I wanted and got a 15% discount on such plan. Go to the business website, enter your email address and it will tell you if you qualify for the discount. This way you get to take advantage of your corporation being with Cingular, but you get to pick whatever plan you wnat.
    Thanks, we have the Cingular corporate discount site as well..but they do force us to their "pooled minutes" plan with unknown data capabilities (what they call 'basic data')..ugh.

Bad thing is - if I email corporate guys to ask them directly, the bag is out of the cat so to speak, and then they'll REALLY smack me down. So, best option is probably risk getting an unlocked, doing the $19.99 data plan SIM trick, running, moving over to the corporate plan, and seeing if things still work. Problem is, if not, and they lock me out of the data side of things, I'm royally screwed and would have been better sticking with Sprint and my existing i500. Ugh. What to do, what to do...if I knew the 700P was going to "definitely" get a ROM update anytime soon, I'd do that. But it just looks too..unstable. And the 680 looks much "cooler" with the new antenna-less form factor, updated software, etc.

- SB
    Is anyone considering t-mobile and the unlocked 680? Has anyone been able to verify that the old data plans work? How would I go about getting a decent unlimited data plan?

I'm on sprint now, with my very broken 650, and I've been dying to leave Sprint for the last few years, but the data plan always held me back (so much cheaper on Sprint). All I need is something close, and I'm jumping ship to GSM...
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    Is anyone considering t-mobile and the unlocked 680? Has anyone been able to verify that the old data plans work? How would I go about getting a decent unlimited data plan?..
    I currently have an unlocked 650 on TMO with the $19.99 unlimited plan. According to tech support at TMO, there will not be any problems - just simple SIM swap and some modifications for setting up the SMS.
    When I got my 650 a couple of months ago in store, I had no problem getting the MEdia Max 200 with unlimited data for $19.99/mo. I never had any signup issues with this plan for my Treo - I didn't have to do any end-a-rounds with other devices first. It's funny that if you purchase the Treo online at Cingular, they only offer you the Data Connect for PDAs package choices, like the Data Connect Unlimited w/Xpress Mail for $39.99/mo. In the store or over the phone, the reps never balked at giving me the MEdia Max 200 plan. The key difference here is Xpress Mail and VPN access to a corporate intranet- with MEdia Max 200 plan you won't be able to use Xpress/GetGood to access corporate email/PIM/Intranet accounts.
    Last edited by Convert; 11/22/2006 at 02:37 PM.
    Hey PalmBear, I think what you are worried about is not getting support from your company if you go with an unlocked 680 on the Cingular Plan. What you need to think about is whether you stick with Sprint or go to Cingular or T-mobile, you would still be getting the service under your own name and ss#, right? The plus side is that you may qualify for a discount with your corporate account. I would just try it. Your company's IT department can't stop you from getting service under your own name. Go get a free GSM phone and a plan from Cingular with the unlimited data. Take the sim card they give you and put it in the Treo 680. You may need to set up the SMS, MMS, email, and browser to work with the 680, but all that can be found on Cingular's website or this forum. Good Luck!
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.