Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by dessa View Post
    What cradle do you have? Does the 680 sit at the same angle as the 650 or does it slant farther back due to being thinner?

Thanks for the info!
    It's the standard Palm one. I can't tell a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthrow View Post
    Dieter tells me that Chatteremail fakes push support by hacking with the IMAP idle command.
    Well, I don't know if I'd call IDLE "fake" push, since that's exactly how IMAP servers do push. But I would also add that you now have the fully production option of adding direct Exchange support to ChatterEmail so that it talks *directly* to the Exchange server over it's HTTP-RPC interface... and does "real" push by registering with the Exchange server and listens for the server to contact it when something needs updating -- this MSFT implementation does mean that not all data plans on all carriers will work with this function.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    "But this equally puts pressure on Palm, as their leading email app just got purchased by a competitor," Gold continued, later adding, "I think this gives Palm more incentive to promote the Windows platform over the Palm OS [because] Windows Mobile at least the latest versions does not require a third-party client. Also, [Microsoft] had a decent relationship with Good for older Windows Mobile devices that needed the Good Technology to work in wireless push mode."
    Maybe this means there is finally hope that Versmail will go the way of the do-do and we'll get an email client like ChatterEmail onboard.
    Does anyone think it's strange that a phone that Palm touts of being Multimedia capable comes with mono headphones? If it's going to play music provide stereo head sets out of hte box!

Timmay
    Im a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    Maybe this means there is finally hope that Versmail will go the way of the do-do and we'll get an email client like ChatterEmail onboard.
    I would vote for that!
    I'm new to the Treo and Palm line, but very interested in purchasing one. My question is: is there an app to play video (any format), for example, from the SD card? Or from any source for that matter? Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by SmithBryanJ View Post
    I'm new to the Treo and Palm line, but very interested in purchasing one. My question is: is there an app to play video (any format), for example, from the SD card? Or from any source for that matter? Thanks!
    There are a number of options. I use "The Core Pocket Media Player". It's free and works very well.

Here are some more: http://mytreo.net/downloads/cat71.html
    I have the treo 680 which i got from palm the unlocked version and I am using it with t-mobile, i came across this issue with the treo in sending mms ( picture and video messages), the phone when sending a picture mssg is locked down to a file size of 100KB both on pictures and videos. i called t-mobile 3rd level support which they were very helpful and advise that the treo 680 was internally locked down to 100KB and could not be change.

I then called Palm twice which the first tech had no idea what i was talking about claiming that t-mobile had the network settings locked down to 100KB, totally false since most mms settings on carrier side should allow at least 300KB, but the second tech from Palm advise that the issue is with the SIM Card and i needed a 3G sim card that would allow the phone to send content bigger than 100KB, since T-Mobile is not 3G yet here in the states and Cingular is can anyone validate this as being correct as this is a major issue for keeping the phone until t-Mo upgrades..
    Well, I CAN tell you that whenever I receive a MMS message, the picture is a fraction of the size it was on my Treo 600! A Palm tech told me to hot-synch it to my computer, "re-size" the picture in the desktop, and send it back to the Treo! That is no answer! Someone needs to fix this!
    This summer and fall, there were rumors (and 'leaked' photos) of a Treo 750 from Cingular, something that would combine the new form factor of the 680 with the increased capabilities of Verizon's 700p. Is this still happening?
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
    This summer and fall, there were rumors (and 'leaked' photos) of a Treo 750 from Cingular, something that would combine the new form factor of the 680 with the increased capabilities of Verizon's 700p. Is this still happening?
    The Treo 750 is coming next month, but it is a Windows Mobile device. And yes, it is the same size as the Treo 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    The Treo 750 is coming next month, but it is a Windows Mobile device. And yes, it is the same size as the Treo 680.
    Thanks!
    Any idea if there's a 750 for PalmOS, or will it be Windows Mobile only?
    Thanks!
    Any idea if there's a 750 for PalmOS, or will it be Windows Mobile only?
    Windows Mobile only for now. I think the 680 is the end of the line for Palm OS. Unless Access somehow upgrades the OS to be able to multitask. Multitasking is a requirement for UMTS/HSDPA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5273 View Post
    Windows Mobile only for now. I think the 680 is the end of the line for Palm OS. Unless Access somehow upgrades the OS to be able to multitask. Multitasking is a requirement for UMTS/HSDPA.
    But Cingular's not using UMTS/HSDPA yet ... and Verizon's got its 700 models. Why wouldn't Cingular take advantage of the "higher end" PalmOS customer market? They did so well with the 650s...
    But Cingular's not using UMTS/HSDPA yet ... and Verizon's got its 700 models. Why wouldn't Cingular take advantage of the "higher end" PalmOS customer market? They did so well with the 650s...
    So then what upgrades would you like to see in a Cingular Palm OS Treo?
    That depends on where you are. Cingular has UMTS/HSPDA in my area.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I upgraded from a Treo 600, and here are my thoughts after a month with the unlocked 680 on T-Mobile, following the format of the review, plus some:

Form Factor: Better than Treo 600. 2 or 3 years after the 600 is that saying much? Not really. Yea! Internal antennae. Yea! (Very) Slightly lighter and smaller. Overall an upgrade over the 600, but doesnt compare to some other phones. OTOH, it feels better in my hand than the Nokia N80 did.

Awesome Value: Cingular model- maybe; GSM unlocked model - definitely not.

Keyboard: Basically the same. Slight differences. Feels familiar. Not anything earth shattering here. Very ho-hum thing to "review". Maybe that says something good about the Treo keyboards. I do like it better than the T-Mobile Dash or Sidekick keyboards.

Screen: Definite huge upgrade. Nice size. Great colors. Better than the Nokia N80 screen, IMHO, even though the N80 is higher resolution (on a smaller screen).

Processor and chipset: I wont get into technical details. It "feels" faster. Bluetooth works transferring files to my wifes RAZR and my PC with no problems. No complaints. No real "wow" either, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find any "wow" in evaluating processors for phones.

Bluetooth: Again, no technical discussion. It works. File transfer is no problem. Pairing with an old MSI headset and an newer Moto headset worked. Bluetooth 1.2 is a cop out for any smartphone these days. Overall, meh.

Internet: works well enough, if not very fast, on T-Mobile's GPRS. Usable.

The Phone Application: My biggest cheer and my biggest complaint. Coming from the 600, I used to be able to access the camera in 3 "clicks" from off. Now its 4 "clicks" _after_ i assigned the camera app to the 2nd item in the application tab. Call log also went from 3 "clicks" to 4. OTOH, the new tab interface does allow you to access a lot very quickly.

Camera: Very disappointing. Maybe the CCD or optics are improved. I dont know. Its still a VGA camera. Hello, Palm, welcome to 2002. Gimme a break. Its a toy out of place with an otherwise professional phone.

Storage: Pros - You can move your existing SD card to your new phone. Placement on the side. The 64 MB of user accessible internal RAM is a huge upgrade over the 23 MB or so on the Treo 600. It also compares well to current phones like the T-Mobile Dash (20 MB) and the Cingular 8525 (51 MB). Cons - 2 GB limit (some have had success with 4GB cards) on SD. No SDIO support.

Cable Connector: Compatible with Treo 650, I hear. So what. Give me a real USB port.

Sim Card Tray: Did we run out of features to review?????

Battery: Compared to Treo 600, its an improvement only because I can buy extras and swap them. In my personal usage, battery life sucks. I use my 680 for music and Internet, so you YMMV. But if you're only using the 680 for a phone, .... why'd you get a 680?

Software: Generally upgraded.

Conclusion: Setup: 5, Usability: 4.5 (but could go up if I get used to the extra clicks), Features: 2.5, Cost/Benefit: 3, Overall: 3.1

Extra stuff to talk about ---------->

GPRS - Yawn. Necessitated possibly by the slow roll-out of faster service by the oligopoly cell phone providers.

Wifi - Where is it? No excuse not to have it.

Smarminess - Why do I get the feeling that Palm OS is being relegated to the "low" end and the new "high" end Treos will be Winblows powered? Is ALP gonna be used on high end Treos at all?

dan
    --
    http://wrevolution.org/
    life, liberty, and the pursuit of open standards
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123