Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    And THAT will be going away now that Motorola purchased Good Technology - conflict of interest.
    Not True. From what our Good source here says, Good will remain a solution for multiple platforms, including the Treos for as long as Palm wants to continue the relationship.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    And THAT will be going away now that Motorola purchased Good Technology - conflict of interest.
    Not True. From what our Good source here says, Good will remain a solution for multiple platforms, including the Treos for as long as Palm wants to continue the relationship.
    You know nothing of business tactics. I gurantee that after the deal is finalized in the first months of 2007, Palm will terminate its relationship.

If you don't believe me (I am not surprised that you don't because not one person on this board has in the past) read this bit I pulled from an article explaining the exact reasoning that I use to arrive at this conclusion - the exact reasoning any reasonable business would take.

"In becoming a solid competitor, however, the Motorola/Good partnership could leave some Good users in the dark, namely those who use Good on Palm Treos, the core of Good's business.

"The acquisition will severely constrain a major relationship that has put Good on the map -- the one with Palm and the Treo devices, a very large part of Good's business," Gold said. "I do not think Palm will be keen to open the kimono to Good for future products."

For the many users of Palm Treos with Good Mobile Messaging, this could mean limited device choice in the future, especially if Good and Palm part ways when Motorola and Good finalize the deal early next year.

"Good has to work closely with device makers to get their stuff ported onto the machines," Gold said. "It is unlikely device makers will be keen to show Good the new goods if they are part of Motorola.

"But this equally puts pressure on Palm, as their leading email app just got purchased by a competitor," Gold continued, later adding, "I think this gives Palm more incentive to promote the Windows platform over the Palm OS [because] Windows Mobile – at least the latest versions – does not require a third-party client. Also, [Microsoft] had a decent relationship with Good for older Windows Mobile devices that needed the Good Technology to work in wireless push mode."
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Palm might never release an update to the 700p problems.

Looking forward to the 680 Roms.

Sincerely,
    Does the increased memory on the 680 translate into increased cache? Thanks.
    I went ahead and ordered the unlocked graphite from Palm's site. I've been a user of palm since my handspring visor days, and a treo user since the 180g, so I guess i might as well....
    Last edited by wktaylor; 11/22/2006 at 04:05 PM.
    Rather than quoting from an article, how about posting a link?
    Exactly... what about cache size?

IS resco backup, etc cache hogs crashing the T680 (this would be a compelling reason to upgrade...)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Thanks for a great review.

What I would like reviewers to look closer at are the actual dimensions of the device. Sure, compared to the 650, the 680's published dimensions are just a "hair" smaller. However, these figures might be misleading. Published values only address the maximum dimensions. Everywhere but at that maximum, it looks to be that the new device is much slimmer than before. What might be interesting is to get an idea of the relative volumes of the two devices. That might give a better picture of their true size differentials.
    Another (crazy) thought...

When you slide the SIM tray in under the speaker, is there room in that vacated area to store a spare SD card?? Yes, I know you'd have to remove the battery / reset the device to get at it, but that might not be a big deal in order to have a secure carrying spot for a seldom used auxillary card.

As I said, a crazy thought....
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Does the increased memory on the 680 translate into increased cache? Thanks.
    I had a chance to play with a Treo680 just now, and was able to install a few apps and ran it through it's paces.

Meminfo showed the 680 has a whopping 23mb dbcache, as compared to 11mb on the 650. It also had about 10mb dynamic heap compared to 6mb on a 650. TCPMP played well, mp3s where fine, even when playing in the background while doing something in DTG, and Blazer took about 2 secs to launch. Resco backup worked fine also as I was able to to do a backup. Zlauncher works but has a problem, the "home" button when pressed will take you back to the default launcher screen and not the zlauncher screen.

It's nice and feels good in my hands, and this just might be my first Treo! http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2378/cachecb0.jpg
    What I would like reviewers to look closer at are the actual dimensions of the device. Sure, compared to the 650, the 680's published dimensions are just a "hair" smaller. However, these figures might be misleading. Published values only address the maximum dimensions. Everywhere but at that maximum, it looks to be that the new device is much slimmer than before. What might be interesting is to get an idea of the relative volumes of the two devices. That might give a better picture of their true size differentials.
    I will have to dig into my math background, but I might be able to remember the formula for volume. As a note, I rarely like to give numbers higher weight than in hand feel. 1cm to a person with small hands is a lot more than to a person with large hands.

When you slide the SIM tray in under the speaker, is there room in that vacated area to store a spare SD card?? Yes, I know you'd have to remove the battery / reset the device to get at it, but that might not be a big deal in order to have a secure carrying spot for a seldom used auxillary card.
    No room. Everything is very tightly packed.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    I have a bunch of Palm 650 add-ons. Cradle USB Charger, Car Charger, Travel USB Charger, etc. Will these devices still work?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeap View Post
    I have a bunch of Palm 650 add-ons. Cradle USB Charger, Car Charger, Travel USB Charger, etc. Will these devices still work?
    Yes, my cradle and cable works fine as does my car charger.
    The only thing I know that will not work is the stylus and battery.
    treonone... AWESOME!!!

That's the info i've been looking for.

PLEASE 680 owners continue putting it through its paces, NOW THAT would make me want to upgrade... I love my T650... but i can crash it... with all the customizing i have going on...

BTW, what program gave you that info?
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTenTodd View Post
    Yes, my cradle and cable works fine as does my car charger.
    The only thing I know that will not work is the stylus and battery.
    What cradle do you have? Does the 680 sit at the same angle as the 650 or does it slant farther back due to being thinner?

Thanks for the info!
    ChatterEmail does real, honest-to-god push for IMAP and Microsoft Exchange 2000/2003. No intermediate server. No desktop director. No monthly fees. Works on Treo 600/650/680/700p.

IMAP push has worked wonderfully since 2003 on Treo's (starting on 270/300); Exchange push is new this year.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by jmg_P1OS21 View Post
    treonone... AWESOME!!!

That's the info i've been looking for.

PLEASE 680 owners continue putting it through its paces, NOW THAT would make me want to upgrade... I love my T650... but i can crash it... with all the customizing i have going on...

BTW, what program gave you that info?
    Meminfo, I got it here: http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-959.html?MemInfo
    Very good review.

A couple of important inaccuracies/omissions I noticed:

1) In the "What's Still Missing" section, when talking about voice dialing it does not mention the included trial version of the "Treo Voice Dialing" application which is a great training-less, speaker-independent application and makes all your contacts available for voice dialing (and more). I use it on my 650 and it's great. It can be seen listed at the bottom of the Treo 680 Specs page in the panel on the right entitled Software on CD ROM. Clicking on the link there takes you to the product description page: http://www.palm.com/us/software/voicedialing/.

2) In the "What if you've already had a piece of Pie?" section, when it lists the reasons why one might upgrade from a 650 to a 680 it does not mention the doubling in both user and system memory compared to the 650. This is a VERY big factor for me as a serious Treo 650 user as I frustratingly bump into these boundaries every day.
    Last edited by silverado; 11/24/2006 at 12:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Overthrow View Post
    Sorry about missing your question:

4GB is confirmed not working.

Other things confirmed not working:
    TomTom Navigator 6 Smartphone Edition 2 etc. from Palm. Gives a "your device is not supported" error and resets the phone. TomTom Navigator 5 works, however.
    Did you actually tested it with a Treo 680?
  20.    #40  
    Thanks for all the compliments and the intelligent answers.

Yes, I actually did test.

TomTom5 was tested and TomTom5 activates normally. TomTom6 gives a "your device is not supported" error and soft resets the phone.

The storage memory is actually more than double -- the Treo 650 has just over 1/3 of the memory of the 680. VRAM, if memory serves, is double on the nose.

I was hoping to do a volume displacement test, but didn't want to get it wet and didn't really get that sort of time from Palm either.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast