View Poll Results: Your feelings about loading a custom ROM

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to load a custom ROM, but am too nervous to do so.

21 29.58%
  • Go for it! Load a custom ROM, it's no big deal!

34 47.89%
  • I'm fine with the default ROM and would never load a custom ROM.

16 22.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    SO...
    Am I the only one who scared to death about the idea of installing a custom ROM onto my 650?

I'm just curious if there's others out there like me.... no matter how many how-to threads and discussion and successful stories about custom ROMs I read... that remote possibility of me bricking my 650 is just a bit too scary for me to make the effort!

heh. I guess I'll just continue to vicariously live through the stories from those who have successfully tweaked their ROMs instead of facing my own anxiety of bricking my 650!!!

{Maybe when I eventually get a 750p, I'll toy with my 650's ROM... but at that point, will I ever pick up my 650 again?!?!}
    I would only do it if I had a backup Treo or if I knew I could go back to the default. I would also make sure I had a backup phone just in case.

Just my $0.02.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Go ahead... live dangerously! I've reflashed my ROM a number of times as well as done some internal 'fixes' to the hardware.
    Don't get me wrong, I did do the upgrade on my 650 when Cingular released it but as for the custome ROM, naaaa.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Dive in JimmyD. If you had the nards to use such a big arss BT device, you should have no problem with customizing your ROM.
    at&t iPhone3G
    i have read and read and said no way. It might be different if I did not use it for work to the extent I do. Ben
    On a serious note, I wouldn't do it. I would only do it if I was bored with nothing to do and I had a backup device... in which I am not bored and I am happy with my default ROM and I have no backup device.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I did the Sprint ROM upgrades while holding my breath.

I do have a custom ROM on my 650 -- it is the default Sprint ROM 1.13a with FAT32 in place of FAT16. (A self install PHD program was provided by a friend.) (But I am a firm believer in the thought -- "Unless you know how to put it back together, don't start taking it apart.")

PHD = Press Here Dummy.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/21/2006 at 06:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post

PHD = Press Here Dummy.

Cheers, Perry.
    lol...
    at&t iPhone3G
    I agree.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    I would only use a custom ROM if I could get back to the former situation. Backup phones I allways have on hand.

If you are worried about it it is not a good idea to get started IMO.
    Treo 750v ---> Now Sold.
    If it is not broken donot fix it .
    Relatively little effort is required to achieve real gains, e.g. the ability to use a 4GB SD card.
    4 gb sd card is the reason i find the custom rom absolutely compulsory. i got two whole wikipedias (diff. languages) and tomtom, all on one card. cant live without that now.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post
    SO...
    Am I the only one who scared to death about the idea of installing a custom ROM onto my 650?

I'm just curious if there's others out there like me.... no matter how many how-to threads and discussion and successful stories about custom ROMs I read... that remote possibility of me bricking my 650 is just a bit too scary for me to make the effort!

heh. I guess I'll just continue to vicariously live through the stories from those who have successfully tweaked their ROMs instead of facing my own anxiety of bricking my 650!!!

{Maybe when I eventually get a 750p, I'll toy with my 650's ROM... but at that point, will I ever pick up my 650 again?!?!}
    I felt the same way as you for the longest, I was reading the fat32 hack thread until I was dizzy lol…but the sweet prices of 4gb cards finally lured me in… I finally took the plunge last weekend and everything went off without any problems… (I only did the fat32 swap, no other customizing)
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Now that it's possible to use the bootloader to de brick your phone if something goes wrong, there's almost no reason not to try a custom ROM - especially if you want to add features (like the FAT32 mod) or save some memory by replacing useless apps with ones you use all the time.
  17.    #17  

Thanks for all the responses and input everyone! Most comments were extremely helpful. My situation is as follows:

HOW I USE MY TREO
    My Treo 650 is my ONLY phone.
    I use it A LOT for work (professional software sales) while on the road (at client sites, conferences, etc.)
    It's my ONLY camera and my ONLY video camera! (and I'm a snapshot fiend)

WHAT I'D LIKE OUT OF A CUSTOM ROM
    I'd like to dump some of the stuff I don't need (Quick Tour, Welcome, Realplayer)
    I'd like to use a 4gb SD card!
    I'd like to be able to GO BACK to the original configuration if I need to.
    I'd like Zoti and Nonobeez to get together to build a new antenna with a 900,000 volt stun-gun feature.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSmJ View Post
    Now that it's possible to use the bootloader to de brick your phone if something goes wrong, there's almost no reason not to try a custom ROM - especially if you want to add features (like the FAT32 mod) or save some memory by replacing useless apps with ones you use all the time.
    !! hmmmm... I guess I missed that feature during my forum browsing! I didn't know that one could "de-brick" a treo?!

I think on Friday when I have the day off (but my wife has to work), I'll do more research!
    If you need help let me know. I am TEM http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=97527 I have made numerous costom roms and helped users who werent able to follow the instruction well to de-brick thier phones.
  20.    #20  
    THANKS James/TEM!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast