View Poll Results: Your feelings about loading a custom ROM

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to load a custom ROM, but am too nervous to do so.

21 29.58%
  • Go for it! Load a custom ROM, it's no big deal!

34 47.89%
  • I'm fine with the default ROM and would never load a custom ROM.

16 22.54%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    can I take you up on that offer too James?

(I'm one of the p*ssies too scared to custom rom)
    Sure, if you have any questions post them here http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=97527 I havent spent any time on it since I sold my treo but I subscribed to the thread and I'll keep an eye on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD View Post

I'd like to be able to GO BACK to the original configuration if I need to.
    If you use the New ROM Tool, then the first step is to make a back up of your ROM, which is your GO BACK option.

The New ROM Tool is the only safe way to do a custom ROM. Don't use the SD card method quoted above.

It's very easy. Just make sure you follow the procedure for making different folders on your PC, and upload your ROM direct from your custom folder. Don't ZIP the folder before you upload it, thats what the program is for.

Oh, and read the threads first, as all the mistakes have been made by others, learn from them

http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,31159.0.html
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=110386
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    OIC there have been advances since the last time I looked at palm. Good deal.
    When I got my 650, I started reading up on what I could do with it. The idea of customizing the ROM appealed to my curiosity so much that I started reading up on it. I downloaded the ROM tool, copied the files that I could safely remove, downloaded the fat32 prc file, and within 2 days of reading, I stepped into the looking glass... I came out of the other side none the worse for wear! The only thing that gave me a headache when I was doing my research was the part where if you wanted to change the partition size, where you needed to do the SD card method. But that too went off without a hitch. AND, I have an unlocked GSM, bought from a retailer here in the Philippines. In other words, I only have my warranty to hold on to, and nothing else in between except the kindness of the people here at TC. So yes, my eternal gratitude goes to TC and the talented people who came up with the procedures and tools to make this happen. I say, go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by manilenio View Post
    The only thing that gave me a headache when I was doing my research was the part where if you wanted to change the partition size, where you needed to do the SD card method. But that too went off without a hitch.
    If there is a risk, it's by changing your partition size, which can only be done using the SD card method.

The risk is quite low, but I personally did not bother as the amount of RAM gained was not really worth it if you use PowerRun etc to move apps to the card.
    Thought of the day :

Thanks for all the responses and input everyone! Most comments were extremely helpful. My situation is as follows:

HOW I USE MY TREO
    My Treo 650 is my ONLY phone.
    I use it A LOT for work (professional software sales) while on the road (at client sites, conferences, etc.)
    It's my ONLY camera and my ONLY video camera! (and I'm a snapshot fiend)

WHAT I'D LIKE OUT OF A CUSTOM ROM
    I'd like to dump some of the stuff I don't need (Quick Tour, Welcome, Realplayer)
    I'd like to use a 4gb SD card!
    I'd like to be able to GO BACK to the original configuration if I need to.
    I'd like Zoti and Nonobeez to get together to build a new antenna with a 900,000 volt stun-gun feature.
    Now I believe you definitely need to do it.
    at&t iPhone3G
    !! hmmmm... I guess I missed that feature during my forum browsing! I didn't know that one could "de-brick" a treo?!

I think on Friday when I have the day off (but my wife has to work), I'll do more research!

If you use the ROMTool you can't "Brick" you phone. You can upload a ROM that doesn't work but then you enter the bootloader and update it again. The ROMTool uses the bootloader to upload the compressed file with all the programs in it. The SD method rewrites everything. You can brick your treo using that method if you don't have everything right for the bootloader files etc.

So ROMTool is safe with the 'Only Phone' scenerio. Just make sure and download & then copy of that download directory as a backup.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Quote Originally Posted by ChasT View Post
    If there is a risk, it's by changing your partition size, which can only be done using the SD card method.

The risk is quite low, but I personally did not bother as the amount of RAM gained was not really worth it if you use PowerRun etc to move apps to the card.
    One other reason I decided to do this was because I wanted to change to LAP. Good thing the SD method didn't brick my phone hehe
    Doing a custom ROM was the best thing I ever did on my old 650. It was faster, stabler, and all around better when I was done. It seems daunting at first, but as long as you have a backup of the original ROM you'll be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    Doing a custom ROM was the best thing I ever did on my old 650. It was faster, stabler, and all around better when I was done. It seems daunting at first, but as long as you have a backup of the original ROM you'll be fine.
    Nice post, sums up custom ROM's in one sentence
    Thought of the day :
    jimmy D
    while i am too much of a newbie to offer any advise I do love the avatar pic!!

Can I use a 4g card with the stock phone?if not what is the biggest I can get?
    {not to highjack anyone thread}

Thanks

SR66
    The best proof that their is intelligent life in outer space is: that they haven't made contact
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by slowride treo View Post
    jimmy D
    while i am too much of a newbie to offer any advise I do love the avatar pic!!

Can I use a 4g card with the stock phone?if not what is the biggest I can get?
    {not to highjack anyone thread}

Thanks

SR66

heh. Thanks for the comments about my avatar pic. I think I'll rock that one for a while (I have a habit of constantly changing it)

No worries about a hijack... it's a pertinent question to this entire thread!

The Treo650 can't utilize a 4gb card in it's stock configuration. (2gb is the highest SD that can be used by a Treo650 in stock configuration)

The 4gb card option is one of the reasons I created this thread because running a custom ROM will allow the use of a 4gb SD card! (By changing the file system to FAT32)

..Handspring...\..........Palm.........\.........Palm........\.........Palm......\.....Motorola.....
    .VisorDeluxe.../............Vx.........../........M-100......./......Treo650.../.......Droid........
    I'm totally happy with the stock Cingular ROM. After fixing my overly sensitive microphone problem with VolumeCare and moving all non-critical or resident apps off to the SD card, the phone has been rock solid. I still even have over 15 MB free RAM. Can't complain and the 2 GB SD is more than enough for me, so no overwhelming urge to modify the FAT driver.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12