Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I know we're all self-described Treo fanatics (or else we wouldn't be on this forum), so bare with me as I'm actually considering doing something crazy....

I'm currently on T-Mobile and my contract doesn't expire until July'08! I called last night to confirm this, and also asked how much I'd have to pay to terminate my contract....$200.

To be honest, I've been really happy with my TMO service and have been a loyal customer for over 5 years. What is frustrating, at least to me, is TMO's lack of smartphone selection. I've gotten more and more into the smartphone/pda market and it seems Cingular is always the first GSM provider in the U.S. to release the newest and hottest phones and technology! The result is that I have to buy unlocked phones....I currently have a Blackberry 8700g and pay $19.99 for unlimited internet service. I also get 1000min/$39.99 which is great!

I really want the new Treo 680 and it certainly sounds like it will be out this Friday. It appears that the cost of terminating my TMO contract PLUS a new activation with Cingular ($199 for the Treo, right?) would actually EQUAL the cost of purchasing an unlocked version from PALM ($400-$500 or more). And I know I'd get the Treo sooner rather than later (assuming PALM won't release their unlocked version at the same time).

Am I nuts? What does concern me is what I'll pay extra in monthly charges. As it is, to go with an unlocked 680 on TMO, I'd have to change my BB plan to a 'total internet' plan at $29.99/mo. Not sure which I'd need on Cingular, in addition to the voice plan of course.

I'd love to hear what you guys recommend! Anyone out there who works for Cingular?

Thanks!
    Wait for the unlocked to appear and use on T-Mobile. You will be paying more for plans and data on Cingular if you get the phone from them. The excitement of owning the 680 will wear off.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I am also a TMO customer and very happy with the service and $5/mo tzones for my email. I would not think of changing. The GSM technology and SIM card makes it easy for you to use other devices not necessarily carried by TMO. So why not keep your TMO service and get a 680 from another source (ebay). When the 600 came out, I ordred the cingular branded one from Palm's web site and have been using it on TMO for the past 3 years. Before that I scored a Treo 180 from a provider in Canada (via ebay) for short money.

The only thing your could gain is a nice initial price of the device from another carrier carrying the 680. But as mentioned you will pay more for the service (voice and data) and end up paying more in the long run.
    I'm in the same boat. I have a 700p with Sprint and am still in my 30 day trial. I'm going to make my mind up soon. The EVDO sure is nice but so are T-Mobile's prices.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Thanks for the feedback so far....it so happens I just got off the phone with TMO's rebate center after having an argument with them! I've been waiting for my rebate (for my current BB8700g) and all of a sudden they're saying they won't honor it!! I'm MAD! This has happened to me TWICE. The store sells me a phone and says, 'sure, the rebate is valid, go ahead and submit it' and then the rebate center says 'no'! Just ridiculous.

I don't know what to do. I know it does seem like a lot of trouble to get a 680, but I'm also tired of TMO's lack of new devices and lag in terms of offering new technology (i.e. Cingular and 3G), not to mention their crappy rebate center. I don't want to make a mistake either. I would definitely want to get an unlocked 680 ASAP....no ebay for me....I'd get it from Palm directly, but also don't want to wait until Christmas (not that we know when they're releasing this version). Decisions, decisions!
    Yeah, I'm thinking about leaving them too. They decided to up my contract for another year and decided to not tell me about it.
    T-Mo is also moving to 3G, and will have a good part of their system upgraded in 2007. I wouldn't jump ship just yet if I were you. Their rates are the best, & I've had nothing but a great experience with their CSA'S.
    I am also a TMo customer and would not even dream of changing.

Be careful to check your credit report if you plan on canceling service and breaking contract.

Many moons ago I closed an account I had with Verizon after they royally screwed me on a bad billing issue. I paid what I owed them including the early termination fee and then canceled. About a year later I noticed that it was showing up on my credit report as a reported "charge off" even though it also says "account paid in full...closed by customer."

I have been fighting it for about 2 1/2 years now and I still cannot get it removed from my report.

Verizon should burn in hell.

On a side note- One thing I am disappointed about with TMob is this new My 5's thing that they are running. I went to a TMob store to see if I could add it to my account but they said that you need a device that has the "My 5's" software installed. I asked the guy if I could get one of these phones....pick my 5 people...then put the SIM back in my Treo and still be able to call those 5 people unlimited. The rep just stared at me with glazed over eyes and could not help at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew-NYC View Post
    T-Mo is also moving to 3G, and will have a good part of their system upgraded in 2007. I wouldn't jump ship just yet if I were you. Their rates are the best, & I've had nothing but a great experience with their CSA'S.
    The only problem with this is that T-Mobile's 3G will be on a different freq. than Cingular or others overseas. You will need to buy a 3G phone specifically made for T-Mobile.
    That is, unfortunately, true.
    There is one quad band 3G phone, I think. The upcoming Nokia N75. Expensive though. The 8525 is tri-band. Is T-mobile really going to use 1700?
    Last edited by The Phone Diva; 11/21/2006 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Mistake.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    I just spoke with a Cingular Rep here in Houston who is still unsure about a Friday release. I asked about data plans and porting my number over and he said while he's 'supposed' to sell the 'DATA CONNECT' plan at $40/mo, he's 'heard' that the $19.99 data plans work the same way. Interesting, as I didn't think he'd admit this. I gave him my number and asked that he call me when he has more info about the 680 release. Still thinking.....
    Same boat and agree w/ J$hort. I'm waiting for the unlocked too. This has also been discussed previously, but if you have been with TMo for a while, you can try to call up customer service, ask to speak to a supervisor and see what they can do to keep your business (even if you have a contract through 08). They offered me a better package and a $150 voucher when I last threatened defection. Good luck!
    "That's right Ice-man, I am dangerous"
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alohafriday View Post
    Same boat and agree w/ J$hort. I'm waiting for the unlocked too. This has also been discussed previously, but if you have been with TMo for a while, you can try to call up customer service, ask to speak to a supervisor and see what they can do to keep your business (even if you have a contract through 08). They offered me a better package and a $150 voucher when I last threatened defection. Good luck!

Well, I guess I'm not too 'wanted'. I spoke with an account rep who put me through to someone else (I assume retentions) when I mentioned terminating. The woman I was put through to was really nice and asked why I was considering leaving. I menioned TMO's lack of smartphones/PDAs and such and she said she was sorry to see me leave. She told me about TMO's DASH and the Blackberries, but I said I was more interested in the Treo line which TMO doesn't offer. She pretty much told me the terminating procedure and thanked me for being a loyal customer. NOTHING ELSE OFFERED! Gee, guess I should feel insulted

I still haven't made up my mind.
    Here's my $.02. I did the very thing, except I was with verizon. I was so fed up with their cruddy CS, and continued billing errors, I went ahead and paid 450.00 to terminate my family plan. I moved over to Cingular and have been extremely happy since. It also didnt help the unlocked 650 was released the same time, and I am about as impatient as a cat in the swimming pool when it comes to new technology. Granted I still have the 19.99 UNL data plan, compared to the new 40.00 PDA plan. If I were you & you truly wanted to test the waters, I believe Cing still has the 30 day trial - if your not happy then return it. The 30 days would give you a chance to try out Cingular and also maybe by then the "newness" of the 680 will have worn off for you so you can stay with TMO and the release of the Unlocked 680....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    What's so strange to me is that those of you with Cingular seem to be directing me to stick with TMO.....are you happy with your service? Just wondering....
    The Cingular 650 was a disaster.

I cannot tell you how many people on Cingular opted to buy the unlocked because of all the issues with the branded Cingular models. That might be why they are saying stick with TMob and get the unlocked.

That's what I am doing.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. PooperScoop View Post
    The Cingular 650 was a disaster.

I cannot tell you how many people on Cingular opted to buy the unlocked because of all the issues with the branded Cingular models. That might be why they are saying stick with TMob and get the unlocked.

That's what I am doing.

Ahh, I had no idea. I'm figuring the unlocked will be between $400-$500.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. PooperScoop View Post
    I I went to a TMob store to see if I could add it to my account but they said that you need a device that has the "My 5's" software installed. I asked the guy if I could get one of these phones....pick my 5 people...then put the SIM back in my Treo and still be able to call those 5 people unlimited. The rep just stared at me with glazed over eyes and could not help at all.
    my faves is a easy fix. Log into my tmobile and change you phone to a my fave phones. Then you will have the option to select your 5 faves. DONE
    Quote Originally Posted by kmorris View Post
    What's so strange to me is that those of you with Cingular seem to be directing me to stick with TMO.....are you happy with your service? Just wondering....
    I'm EXTREMELY HAPPY with Cingular. I got the unlocked version b/c I was able to get that first. Im one of those that if its released, ring it up Im buying it. I'll find out the price when I check out. You sound very happy with TMO, I would hate to see you leave them if you're that happy. But like I said, I love Cingular. Had VZW - THE WORST, and Sprint has horrible reception where I live. Good luck
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast