Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This thread is for the Canadians who will be listening to everyone else rant and rave about their new Treos while us Canadians get to fantasize about just having one to hold in our hand; someday; hopefully.

Anyways, I thought I would start this thread for any info anyone may come across for the release of the T680 in Canada; as most topics are referring to Cingular's release. In the U.S I think you have a pretty sure date of
    'black friday' which I think will come through for you, but unfortunately we won't have a holiday until Christmas; well not true my B-Day is on the 2nd of December so Palm can you please have this baby out by then I would realy appreciate it.

Thx

Caally
    I'm confused. Does UPS/ Fed Ex not make deliveries in Canada?

Why not just buy the 680 unlocked when it goes on sale and have it shipped to you?
  3.    #3  
    Duty my friend duty. Probably an extra $150 dollars more.
    There is not a word on the Canadian Palm website about the T680.

If you manage to get to the link where it shows the order form, change the American flag to canadian and click on smartphones it will bring you to the American & Canadian site; but in reference only to American carriers.

The Palm site says that American sales will only be shipped to Americans.
    Friggin sucks

If I'm wrong please let me know, but thats the assumption I get. Otherwise count me in.

Caally
    Caally,

You are incorrect. When I bought by Unlocked Treo 650 when it first came out in Feb of 2005, I had it shipped directly to Toronto. All I paid was 15% extra (equivalent of GST & PST), thats all. They shipped it to me no problem.

Also, in the 3-4 times I had to get them exchanged, I dealt with Palm US instead of Palm Canada. I find Palm Canada to be useless (back to my PDA days).

And here in Canada, screw Rogers, Telus and Bell. They all are terrible when it comes to phones. I'm on Rogers and prefer to buy all my phones unlocked - no way will I trade 2-3 years for a $100 savings. Plus, by the time they carry the current model, the next model is almost out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caally View Post
    Duty my friend duty. Probably an extra $150 dollars more.
    Well I guess that's your penalty for living in Canada.

I kid.

I love you crazy Canucks.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalloneeh View Post
    Caally,

You are incorrect. When I bought by Unlocked Treo 650 when it first came out in Feb of 2005, I had it shipped directly to Toronto. All I paid was 15% extra (equivalent of GST & PST), thats all. They shipped it to me no problem.

Also, in the 3-4 times I had to get them exchanged, I dealt with Palm US instead of Palm Canada. I find Palm Canada to be useless (back to my PDA days).

And here in Canada, screw Rogers, Telus and Bell. They all are terrible when it comes to phones. I'm on Rogers and prefer to buy all my phones unlocked - no way will I trade 2-3 years for a $100 savings. Plus, by the time they carry the current model, the next model is almost out.
    Stalloneeh,

Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. I previously spoke to Palm Canada and they were the one's who told me that I could not purchase in U.S because they would not deliver to Canada and that I would have to wait till it was released in Canada. On the website it also states that Palm U.S would only deliver in the U.S (site now says that the product is currently out of stock- but it was on the same page). Regarding Rogers, Telus, and Bell; I couldn't agree with you more; I would definitely be interested in just buying the phone unlocked. Just makes more sense.

Your absolutely right we always get products at the end of the end of their life cycle. Can you believe that Rogers is still selling the T650 for $749; what a joke. I called Rogers today and the "wireless rep" had no idea that such a phone ever existed. Hmmm....what ever happend to employees who are on top of new product and even more so products that are expected to be release with a couple of months. I was training her on the T680 and telling her the features that will be on the phone. OMG!

Anyways I can go on for hours about this so I will leave it at that.

Stalloneeh, will you be buying the T680?

I'm in T.O too

Thx again, your post is greatly appreciated

Caally.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. PooperScoop View Post
    Well I guess that's your penalty for living in Canada.

I kid.

I love you crazy Canucks.
    We love the Yanks too!
    "eh"- some reason Americans always get a kick out of that.

Thx for the post

Caally.
    Last edited by Caally; 11/20/2006 at 11:43 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Ok, so if we go by what the unlocked version will be (est.) then we are looking
    at aprox. $425 which = $489 CAD + 15% = aprox. $560

Sound right Stalloneeh?

Well you only live once. Besides who needs food anyways? hehe

Caally.
    Last edited by Caally; 11/20/2006 at 11:47 PM.
  9.    #9  
    Geez, I'm like the energy bunny here.

What do yoy guys think? January? I'll be lucky if I maket through the night.hehe

http://cgi.ebay.com/Palm-Treo-680-Br...QQcmdZViewItem

$350 CAD for unlocked..hmmm

I am so scared of having no Treo, so I probably wouldn't do it.
    Last edited by Caally; 11/21/2006 at 12:17 AM.
    Your absolutely right we always get products at the end of the end of their life cycle.
    I understand what you are saying but you are not 100% correct, hence the Blackberry Pearl

I called Rogers today and the "wireless rep" had no idea that such a phone ever existed. Hmmm....what ever happend to employees who are on top of new product and even more so products that are expected to be release with a couple of months. I was training her on the T680 and telling her the features that will be on the phone. OMG!
    This is no fault of the rep or Rogers, this is 100% Palm based, the reps are trained as soon as Rogers has the details but the phone manufactures are so scared of letting out secrets that they do not provide official info until the last second, and the reps can not give out info they found on the internet that "may" be true

Sorry but I used to work in a call centre and it drives me nuts to always see people blaming reps or companies when at least 75% of the time it's not their fault at all
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Andrew View Post
    I understand what you are saying but you are not 100% correct, hence the Blackberry Pearl

This is no fault of the rep or Rogers, this is 100% Palm based, the reps are trained as soon as Rogers has the details but the phone manufactures are so scared of letting out secrets that they do not provide official info until the last second, and the reps can not give out info they found on the internet that "may" be true

Sorry but I used to work in a call centre and it drives me nuts to always see people blaming reps or companies when at least 75% of the time it's not their fault at all
    Ok you have a point but what about going the extra mile and doing research on your own? If I worked at Rogers Wireless I would be on every damn forum which I am (but I don't work for Rogers). Secrets or no secrets, personally its all about digging to find answers. I don't know about you but if a customer was to ask a question about a product at least I would know what the person was talking about. Sorry man, no pitty over here. If fact a god example would be another Rogers branch I went to, the guy knew everything about the product; it just came across as being very impressive and professional might I add.
    Ok you have a point but what about going the extra mile and doing research on your own? If I worked at Rogers Wireless I would be on every damn forum which I am (but I don't work for Rogers). Secrets or no secrets, personally its all about digging to find answers. I don't know about you but if a customer was to ask a question about a product at least I would know what the person was talking about. Sorry man, no pitty over here. If fact a god example would be another Rogers branch I went to, the guy knew everything about the product; it just came across as being very impressive and professional might I add.
    Not a chance I would do that if I were employed as a rep, unless I didn't really like my job after all. By reporting rumour you open your employer up to all manner of potential lawsuit. This is all down-side and very little up-side in such behaviour. We all have to realize that us denizens of technology forums do not are but a trifle of the overall market. Yes, we might influence others, but overall we do not represent a significant revenue stream for manufacturers. I suspect most folks out there are blissfully unaware(z) of anything called a 680.
    Little bit of garbled text in my previous post, but you get my drift, I think...
  14.    #14  
    I have been trying to purchase this phone off the Palm site but it is not letting me because there is no way to select Canada in the shipping menu. It clearly states that the product will ship to all provinces but won't allow you to change the country.

If anyone finds a solutions please let us Canucks know.

thx

Caally.
  15. mcg
    I just spoke to the Palm Store on the phone. They said that they are not shipping internationally. I asked about having it shipped to a US address and he claimed that they do a check to see if the credit card is from a US Bank.

Interestingly, Bank of America issues credit cards in Canada. I wonder if that would work?

I'll post a message outside of this thread to see if anyone knows how soon it usually takes before unlocked phones start showing up at Best Buys and Wal Marts in the states. That might be the easiest way to get one....
  16.    #16  
    Wo Wo Wo...Canada is your neighbor, we're not international. Its all North
    America
    Just talked to the Palm store again and there is hope.

Palm is aware of the problem and are trying to get their web developer to fix it in short order. The CSR took my email address and said that they will send out a mass mailing to their Canadian customers once the problem is resolved. He also suggested that I check back periodically over the day to see if there's been a change to the web site.

Anyhow, given the 1-2 week shipping horizon, waiting another day or two to place the order doesn't sound too bad.

Hang in there, Caally! Looks like it'll still make it's way under your tree on Christmas morning. Wait, what am I saying? No way he has that sort of patience... I'm still pretty sure you'll like it a ton better than that 700wx from Telus I talked you out of!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Just talked to the Palm store again and there is hope.

Palm is aware of the problem and are trying to get their web developer to fix it in short order. The CSR took my email address and said that they will send out a mass mailing to their Canadian customers once the problem is resolved. He also suggested that I check back periodically over the day to see if there's been a change to the web site.

Anyhow, given the 1-2 week shipping horizon, waiting another day or two to place the order doesn't sound too bad.

Hang in there, Caally! Looks like it'll still make it's way under your tree on Christmas morning. Wait, what am I saying? No way he has that sort of patience... I'm still pretty sure you'll like it a ton better than that 700wx from Telus I talked you out of!
    Thanks Patrick, for the update. I too spoke to CSR at Palm and she took my email address too and told me the same thing. I guess I can wait another few days... jk. But really I can.lol. Patrick you understand my pain and suffering don't you?

Just to add to that, I am truly thankful that I returned the 700wx. It was a nice phone don't get me wrong for those who have one, but not the one for me. I am so glad to wait for this one. Oh that T680 she's a beauty! Thanks again Patrick, I always appreciate your input.

Fingers crossed we hear something soon. (Not like I'm not going to wait for the phone anyways right, who am I kidding)

Caally
    i phoned palm today to ask, and he said he was having the same problem with not being able to select canada under country. he transfered me to an agent so i could order it over the phone, but when I spoke to the agent he told me they weren't shipping to canada, but they could bill to canada and ship to the US. I asked if he knew when they'd be shipping to Canada, and he gave me the "subscribe to the newsletter" bit, which is useless anyways because I have yet to recieve the one about the availability of the 680 in the states.
  20.    #20  
    Yup, heard that one before
Page 1 of 9 123456 ... LastLast