Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    My Copper has been shipped! Tracking doesn't work, but at least it's in the system. Woo!
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
  2.    #122  
    This is insane, I have been waiting all day for my 680 to arrive. I have been upm since 8am and i couldn't wait any longer cause I had a class. Anyways, have a small break in between so I ran home (15min) to see if it arrived. Nothing yet. Purolator said it was suppose to be here by 12pm which it wasn't so I called at 12:00pm and they now tell me that they "try" to have it arrive by 12:00pm but they have until 5pm to deliver it. Are you kidding me?

If I don't get it by today I have to pick it up at Kipling station which is like a 30 minute drive from downtown core which is where I live. I won't be home until 8:30pm tonight so it looks like another disappointing day

Caally.
    I've got it. Arrived at about noon MT. Does that make me 2nd in Canada? Well, not quite (there were likely a couple before Patrick), but I'm a happy camper anyway. Made my first call, and it worked, so that's a good sign. Very slick form factor. Feels small/comfortable in my pocket. Not much larger than my wallet (or heavier). Same length as my Vx but narrower (as of course specs will tell you).

Has already finished charging, so right now, it's a phone. Tonight will be a get-to-know-you-session. I'm stoked.

BTW, I like the copper...alot. Photos don't do it justice as it is not orange. It really is copper (like the Dodge Neon color). And I've done an informal poll:
    3 males: like it
    1 female: likes it
    4 females: don't like it (can see that a guy would; call it a guy color; like it for a guy, but wouldn't want it for themselves)
    Seems like a few people on craigslist already have a 680 (or two!) in Vancouver. Crazy!

Canuck PDA
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyoff View Post
    I've got it. Arrived at about noon MT. Does that make me 2nd in Canada? Well, not quite (there were likely a couple before Patrick), but I'm a happy camper anyway. Made my first call, and it worked, so that's a good sign. Very slick form factor. Feels small/comfortable in my pocket. Not much larger than my wallet (or heavier). Same length as my Vx but narrower (as of course specs will tell you).

Has already finished charging, so right now, it's a phone. Tonight will be a get-to-know-you-session. I'm stoked.

BTW, I like the copper...alot. Photos don't do it justice as it is not orange. It really is copper (like the Dodge Neon color). And I've done an informal poll:
    3 males: like it
    1 female: likes it
    4 females: don't like it (can see that a guy would; call it a guy color; like it for a guy, but wouldn't want it for themselves)
    Got mine arrived at 3:45pm. Yeah!!

Crimson. I haven't even turned it on yet, I'm still at school till 8:30pm Doh.

Enjoy!

Caally
    That's great Cally! Have fun and here's hoping it works well for you.
    IIIe --> IIIxe --> Vx --> Vx the 2nd --> 680
    So it's already started, but I'm optimistic.

It crashed when I was using pocket tunes and I can't access the web (press "go" and it does nothing, and yes I have a signal and a data plan). I will start searching other forums...
    ...I can't access the web (press "go" and it does nothing, and yes I have a signal and a data plan).
    Or just call my carrier to get the APN, username, and password. Doh. Works beautifully now. I've been on the web all damn day. Gonna be a beaut bill.

So where are all of you? Playing with your new toys?
    So where are all of you? Playing with your new toys?
    Hi again.

Wouldn't you know it, but my 680 arrives the night before a ton of work. It was only tonight just before leaving work that I finally got a chance to load up all my software.

I am really loving this Treo, I have to tell you. Several times I've tapped my pants pocket just to make sure I still had it on me. Never had to do that with the 650, let me tell you.

This thing sure is beautiful as well. I remember all those threads about not buying a colour version because of how it might look in a business environment. Ha! Every time I pull out my gorgeous Crimson Crusader in a meeting, all the heads snap around to gawk. I get feedback like "Wow" and "I'm jealous". The shade of red that Palm chose is just about perfect.... strong, classy and not at all ostentatious. Go ahead and order your boring graphites, guys. Us "un-businesslike" rogues will be the only ones knowing what you're missing. Heh.

I'm in the minority of folks who use a Treo mostly as a PDA with only a small amount of daily phone use. For me, the battery issue has just not been an issue. I am totally pleased so far and I look forward to it getting even better with time, as a number of posters have experienced.

On top of all this, I just can't believe how much memory this little baby has. That one facet of the 650 was possibly the one I found the most irksome. I had all kinds of programs moved to the card (via ZLauncher) and my memory was still 60+% full. Now, I have all of those programs in RAM, have installed a whack more stuff that I never would have considered loading on the 650, and I've only used a third of the memory. BTW... has anyone else noticed that the system reports 69 MB of memory to begin with, not the 64 MB we were told?

There have been a few minor disappointments, of course. Perhaps the stunningly poor design of the SD card cover is the top one for me. What irks me about this is that I really don't believe a better design would have cost anything at all to implement. All we're talking about is a more refined shape for a couple of small pieces. Alas, it is not the case. My SD card door is ever so slightly ajar all the time. What a shame, and totally unnecessary. Nothing a small piece of invisible tape won't fix, though.

To balance this out are all the great updates to the software. The Alt key works a lot better now, with a much more extensive pick list to choose from -- smart. I've already gotten used to the new location for the menu key, but that doesn't mean it's an improvement -- it's not.

The only real problem I've had is that I can't get the (Natara) Bonsai conduit to work. I'm sure I just have to uninstall / reinstall, just haven't gotten to that yet.

So, guys, I hope you feel like me... loving it. Feels all the more satisfying the way we hoodwinked the Palm US web site, saving a bunch of cash along the way over what the Palm Canada site offers.
  10.    #130  
    Here here Patrick. I am loving mine. Everything I wanted and a whole lot more. Its a nice device and I haven't even loaded anything on it yet.

Thx for the review

Caally.
  11.    #131  
    That's great Cally! Have fun and here's hoping it works well for you.
    Sorry to get back to you so late, music industry is extemely busy. Weekends, ha, they don't exist; well at least I get to party it up bit.

thx Garyoff, I am enjoying my new toy as I see you are but I have not yet installed any 3rd party software yet. this weekend I think I will try it out.

Thx again

Caally.
  12.    #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Hi again.

Wouldn't you know it, but my 680 arrives the night before a ton of work. It was only tonight just before leaving work that I finally got a chance to load up all my software.

I am really loving this Treo, I have to tell you. Several times I've tapped my pants pocket just to make sure I still had it on me. Never had to do that with the 650, let me tell you.

This thing sure is beautiful as well. I remember all those threads about not buying a colour version because of how it might look in a business environment. Ha! Every time I pull out my gorgeous Crimson Crusader in a meeting, all the heads snap around to gawk. I get feedback like "Wow" and "I'm jealous". The shade of red that Palm chose is just about perfect.... strong, classy and not at all ostentatious. Go ahead and order your boring graphites, guys. Us "un-businesslike" rogues will be the only ones knowing what you're missing. Heh.

I'm in the minority of folks who use a Treo mostly as a PDA with only a small amount of daily phone use. For me, the battery issue has just not been an issue. I am totally pleased so far and I look forward to it getting even better with time, as a number of posters have experienced.

On top of all this, I just can't believe how much memory this little baby has. That one facet of the 650 was possibly the one I found the most irksome. I had all kinds of programs moved to the card (via ZLauncher) and my memory was still 60+% full. Now, I have all of those programs in RAM, have installed a whack more stuff that I never would have considered loading on the 650, and I've only used a third of the memory. BTW... has anyone else noticed that the system reports 69 MB of memory to begin with, not the 64 MB we were told?

There have been a few minor disappointments, of course. Perhaps the stunningly poor design of the SD card cover is the top one for me. What irks me about this is that I really don't believe a better design would have cost anything at all to implement. All we're talking about is a more refined shape for a couple of small pieces. Alas, it is not the case. My SD card door is ever so slightly ajar all the time. What a shame, and totally unnecessary. Nothing a small piece of invisible tape won't fix, though.

To balance this out are all the great updates to the software. The Alt key works a lot better now, with a much more extensive pick list to choose from -- smart. I've already gotten used to the new location for the menu key, but that doesn't mean it's an improvement -- it's not.

The only real problem I've had is that I can't get the (Natara) Bonsai conduit to work. I'm sure I just have to uninstall / reinstall, just haven't gotten to that yet.

So, guys, I hope you feel like me... loving it. Feels all the more satisfying the way we hoodwinked the Palm US web site, saving a bunch of cash along the way over what the Palm Canada site offers.
    Patrick, your the bomb! Thx for all the advice I really appreciate it.
    Ha, I was not too far behind you in receiving it. It was a fight to the end. I am glad you are enjoying your new toy. Well, off to bed I'm so tired.

Caally.
    I just bought a Patriot Extreme 133x 4GB SD card and popped it into my 680. I've loaded over 2GB of files on it and the Treo looks very happy with the card, still reporting over 1.6GB free!

According to the CardInfo app, my Treo recognizes 3.8 GB of storage on the card (which is about 4 billion bytes, if you're counting by powers of 10, rather than powers of 2).

NCIX has them for sale for CAD $105, but when I walked into my local brick-and-mortar NCIX store this morning there was a special on it for CAD $85 (instant rebate, not mail-in). Pretty good price for a Canadian retailer and the card has a good quality feel to it -- I don't get the impression that cheaper materials have been used (at least on the outside).

BTW... My Treo 650 with its FAT32-modified ROM also has no problem recognizing this card.

Recommended.
    What I wanted to hear! Limit 2 per customer, and 2 is exactly how many I got.

Canuck PDA
    Went to my Roger's store today and they got realllllly limit amounts of 680. All of them are on hold for ppl. The IMEI are not in the Roger's Database yet, so I can't buy the 680 yet. Gotta wait until monday now, I hope it's ready for sale by then.

Got a chance of seeing the live ver, it's really nice. Everything feels proper on that unit. The battery is slim ... now wonder why it doesn;t hold enuff power.
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    What I wanted to hear! Limit 2 per customer, and 2 is exactly how many I got.
    Me 2 got 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by E2EK1EL View Post
    Went to my Roger's store today and they got realllllly limit amounts of 680. All of them are on hold for ppl. The IMEI are not in the Roger's Database yet, so I can't buy the 680 yet. Gotta wait until monday now, I hope it's ready for sale by then.
    I don't understand. I am successfully using an unlocked Treo 680 on the Rogers network and my IMEI number certainly wasn't in their database. Why is such a database even necessary?
    Yeah, same same, as when I got my 650 off of eBay I never updated the IMEI in the Rogers database (you can do that online). Does it make a difference?

Canuck PDA
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    I don't understand. I am successfully using an unlocked Treo 680 on the Rogers network and my IMEI number certainly wasn't in their database. Why is such a database even necessary?
    I'm doing a hardware upgrade that's why. The IMEI's on those 680s are not in on their Database, so they can't leave the store. I doubt buying it as hardware only from the store will do any diff either. I'm buying my unit directly from Rogers.

I haven't updated my IMEI for 8 yr's now. Got my Treo 600 for many yrs.
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 12/09/2006 at 10:33 PM.
    I final got my Treo 680. Called everywhere and Yonge & Eglintion had one left. The IMEI wasn't registered also, but the rep was nice enuff to call in to do it for me. Don't know why St.Clair Centre couldn't have thought of that, maybe they didn't know that can be done.

MeJuuuuuuulie is now rechargin' lol Let's hope she works
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 12/10/2006 at 05:20 PM.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast