Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Give it another month? Someone said to me that it'll be out next week, with Rogers rolling out a lot more in terms of wireless services over the next 3 months. Take that with a grain of salt.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    I phoned them again this morning and, no surprise, got a different story. Now it isn't that the web site needs to be fixed, it's that Palm Canada unexpectedly didn't get the phones at the same time as Palm USA.

I might try again tomorrow to see how many different stories I can collect.
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    Someone said to me that it'll be out next week, with Rogers rolling out a lot more in terms of wireless services over the next 3 months. Take that with a grain of salt.
    Rogers can't get me a crimson one, anyhow, so I really don't care when Rogers gets them.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Rogers can't get me a crimson one, anyhow, so I really don't care when Rogers gets them.
    Agreed. I want Crimson too and the only way to get one is to order directly from Palm, if they ever decide to ship to Canada.

The story about the web site fix is a b.s, because it doesn't take 2 weeks to fix a button to add Canada. Come on if I can do it then any major corp can do it and at alot better.

Just my unpatient 2 cents
    Last edited by Caally; 11/25/2006 at 03:09 PM.
    Rough for you canucks...well not half as bad as what I had to go through...I'm outside the US but luckily I have a US bank account, wired the cash then shipping it to relatives with US shipping address...anything to get what you want!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruckwine View Post
    Rough for you canucks...well not half as bad as what I had to go through...I'm outside the US but luckily I have a US bank account, wired the cash then shipping it to relatives with US shipping address...anything to get what you want!
    Sending your brand spanking new Treo to someone else's address. My, oh, my. That has to be the definition of trust.
    Sending your brand spanking new Treo to someone else's address. My, oh, my. That has to be the definition of trust.
    lol...well it's FAMILY!!
  8.    #28  
    I would like to comment on this as I feel that it may be time to consider this as an option. I will be contacting my family in Florida to see if I could make arrangements for them to purchase my T680 and ship it to me in Canada. In the past I have experienced purchasing a ring from the U.S and had it shipped to me where I was expected to pay an additional $167 for duty. I don't know if the duty was based on the appraisal (assumed price) of what the ring was worth or if there is a set value for duty based on particular items.

Therefore, if I was to purchase the phone from the U.S at an unlocked price of $399 USD does anyone have any idea as to what one might pay for duty and/or if duty will apply? My birthday is next weekend so the phone will be shipped as a gift does that play any consideration as to whether duty will apply. I know that since the phone will be shipped in Canada that I will be responsible to pay Canadian taxes on the item but unsure on how the system works for shipping to Canada.

Any feedback I would really appreciate.

Caally.
    Duties would usually be on the listed proce on the customs form, and would be GST, PST, and a handling fee. Best to have your relatives open your 680's box and ship it as a "used phone" and as a gift.

Canuck PDA
    Suggest you call up Canadian Customs and ask them. I highly suspect there is no duty on cellphones, but I'm no expert.

As you said, you'd certainly be paying GST + Provincial Tax, but you'd be doing that anyways if you bought from Palm. The downside is that your family (and therefore, I presume, you) might pay local State tax as well.
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    Duties would usually be on the listed proce on the customs form, and would be GST, PST, and a handling fee. Best to have your relatives open your 680's box and ship it as a "used phone" and as a gift.
    Suggest you call up Canadian Customs and ask them. I highly suspect there is no duty on cellphones, but I'm no expert.

As you said, you'd certainly be paying GST + Provincial Tax, but you'd be doing that anyways if you bought from Palm. The downside is that your family (and therefore, I presume, you) might pay local State tax as well.
    Thx Kardboard & Patrick for your feedback. I will call customs on Monday to see whether its worthwhile or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caally View Post
    Thx Kardboard & Patrick for your feedback. I will call customs on Monday to see whether its worthwhile or not.
    I was curious so I went to the Canadian Border Services web site and found this document on 2007 tariffs.

If you load that up and search for the category "telephones for cellular networks" you'll see that cell phones are free to import. If you search for "electronic organizer" you'll see that those are free as well. So, happily, this seems to be strong evidence that Treos are duty free.
    Like you fellow Canadians, I'm very pissed it's taking so long for them to fix something so trivial on their site.

I spoke to 4 different reps between Wednesday and Thursday of last week, all giving different versions of what the story is, including a supervisor.

I *cannot* believe how incompetent their employees are (including their staff in the Phillipines, but don't get me started on that) and how there is NO communication to the people actually taking orders for product. Their sales staff hadn't even looked at Palm's site to see that it was possible to ship to Canada, everything was there, except the ability to select Canada on the shipping page. They kept referring me to Palm Canada, which is worse than Palm US in my experience.

This is the disturbing part because I am a very large Palm shareholder.

I can't believe the business they're missing out on to Canadians because of a stupid web page. Regardless, I placed an order on Thursday that will be shipped to family in the U.S., but billed to Canada.

I even put a call in to Palm's Senior Vice President of Business Development to express my displeasure as a Palm shareholder as to the bogus reasons we were given as to why Canadians couldn't order yet. However, I had forgotten about Thanksgiving in the U.S. so he wasn't in.There were no issues ordering unlocked 650's when they came out, so why is there an issue now? You'd think they'd get organized BEFORE they launch?

Regardless, although I've been a Palm customer since 1998 (3e, Vx, m515, T, T2, T3, T650), I'm appalled at their incompetence regarding the sales aspect of their business. I simply have lost faith in them and will cease to be a shareholder when the market opens tomorrow. I will continue to buy their products, as I believe in them. However, I will NOT support them with funds other than this any longer....
    Like you fellow Canadians, I'm very pissed it's taking so long for them to fix something so trivial on their site.

I spoke to 4 different reps between Wednesday and Thursday of last week, all giving different versions of what the story is, including a supervisor.

I *cannot* believe how incompetent their employees are (including their staff in the Phillipines, but don't get me started on that) and how there is NO communication to the people actually taking orders for product. Their sales staff hadn't even looked at Palm's site to see that it was possible to ship to Canada, everything was there, except the ability to select Canada on the shipping page. They kept referring me to Palm Canada, which is worse than Palm US in my experience.

This is the disturbing part because I am a very large Palm shareholder.

I can't believe the business they're missing out on to Canadians because of a stupid web page. Regardless, I placed an order on Thursday that will be shipped to family in the U.S., but billed to Canada.

I even put a call in to Palm's Senior Vice President of Business Development to express my displeasure as a Palm shareholder as to the bogus reasons we were given as to why Canadians couldn't order yet. However, I had forgotten about Thanksgiving in the U.S. so he wasn't in.There were no issues ordering unlocked 650's when they came out, so why is there an issue now? You'd think they'd get organized BEFORE they launch?

Regardless, although I've been a Palm customer since 1998 (3e, Vx, m515, T, T2, T3, T650), I'm appalled at their incompetence regarding the sales aspect of their business. I simply have lost faith in them and will cease to be a shareholder when the market opens tomorrow. I will continue to buy their products, as I believe in them. However, I will NOT support them with funds other than this any longer....
  15.    #35  
    I totally understand your fustrations and as a shareholder I cannot blame you for your choice of decision. I am new to Palm, and honestly as I mentioned before that I don't think they are doing a very good job at making a good impression on behalf of their company. I called Palm on two separate occasions and both put a bad taste in my mouth. Firstly, I was hung up on (purposely) because they didn't have any concrete information to support their statements. Secondly, I was asked to be removed from their newsletter (just annoyed at the time and I know I will find out when the phone will be released in Canada through furums like this one and Treonauts). The CSR did not even ask why I wanted to cancel just told me that I could cancel online. Not once did they ask the purpose of my cancelation. I'm sorry but Palm's customer service absolutely sucks and I haven't even bought a Palm device in the past.

I just get the impression that you really don't care, and as a CSR why would they. They work for the company, and do not own it. Personally, if Palm didn't have as good as a reputation as they do I woulod be long gone.

Excellent products, horrible service.

Just my opinion though, some of you may have had good service but as a first time Treo user I'm not too impressed.

Caally.
    Talked to a very knowledgable rep at Rogers yesterday who mentioned the 680 right away when I asked about a "new Treo". "Hopefully before Christmas," he said. Ah well, at least he was a Palm geek too, as we saw each other's Black Ties on our belts and recognized them right a way, plus he used a Treo-branded pen.

Patience, my fellow Canucks, patience!

Canuck PDA
  17.    #37  
    Just started new thread in the 700P category to let the Canucks know that the 700P is out on CDMA network if interested. I think I will hold out...Kardboard don't let me down.
    Send me a picture of the phones in the warehouse. jk.

Keep us posted though.

Caalvin.
    You're on HowardForums, I'm on HowardForums, we both know as much as the other.

I'm waiting for your warehouse pics. hahahah

Canuck PDA
    Hi, sorry to disappoint, but the shipping to Canada I think has more to do with the CRTC (Canadian version of the FCC). The phones in the states took a while to be approved by the FCC.

The phone was originally targeted for early October, but FCC took a while and so it came out about a month after.

In Canada I don't think the CRTC has even received request for approval of the device. So before you can easily get them in Canada it might take a while.

But if you don't mind getting a silver one, they have them now at expansys.ca
    for $524Cad.

I kinda want the Arctic one. And I am hoping for a little cheaper than expansys.

So forget about bugs on websites or any other lame excuse, I am fairly sure it is the CRTC. Do you really think that the likes of Rogers would not love to be able to sell these items before xmas.

It would really be nice if Palm filed for CRTC approval at the same time as FCC, so we can expect to get it in about the same time. I am guessing we won't find them easily in Canada till about Q2 2007. Just about when you will start hearing a lot of buzz on the Treo 700p-GSM edition...

This reminds me of something. I nearly have all the Simpson DVDs and what they said on the first box cover was prophetic, they are about to release them on Blue-Ray Hi-def DVD.

Here is to chasing the technology.

P.S. I hear that Palmone is looking to make a palmOS GUI that runs over Linux (like Yast). So we might all start looking at the Linux based phones...
    Hi, if you want to look a little on how it worked in the States...

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf...264302&fcc_id=

You will note the they filed the FCC application in 22-Aug-2006 and it took till 9-Nov-2006 to get approved.

So with that math figure if they file CRTC application recently, figure about 3 months (factor in Xmas maybe 4 months). So look at Late Q1-2007 or early Q2-2007...

Sorry folks.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast