1.    #1  
    Saw this on Yahoo. I hope it will be compatable with the 700p. I am running out of room on my 4 GB card.
    ===================================
    Link to Yahoo Story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20061120/...8073&printer=1

Toshiba Intros 8-GB Secure Digital Card David Garrett, newsfactor.com
    Mon Nov 20, 2:44 PM ET

Toshiba plans to release another marvel next year, a Secure Digital (SD) card that can hold a whopping 8 GB of data. That's 2,000 songs or 2,500 pictures from a 6-megapixel digital camera.

Roughly the size of a postage stamp, SD cards are used in everything from digital cameras to camcorders to PDAs. What makes Toshiba's new card distinctive, outside of its capacity, is that it is capable of recording data at 6 Mbps.

At that speed, the card can be used for high-end consumer video cameras, such as Panasonic's HDC-SD1 AVCHD 1080i camcorder, which records directly to a Secure Digital card.

Tiny Terror?

While Toshiba's new card is raising the bar on pint-sized storage, it could raise the hackles of CIOs, data-center directors, and other I.T. professionals struggling to keep their networks safe from ill-intentioned employees.

"The insider threat has been increasing over the years," said Khalid Kark, senior analyst and security expert at Forrester. Kark said he believes the threat from mobile mass storage tools will increase in the future.

"Specifically, we're seeing threats coming in from USB keys, where they have a lot of storage capacity," he said. "Companies are not able to handle that, because it's really hard to manage USB keys."

Indeed, USB keys, SD cards, Compact Flash cards, Memory Sticks, and other mass storage devices are par for the course with cell phones, smartphones, MP3 players, PDAs, and a host of other devices that employees bring to the office in their pockets.

With no more than a $20 device from any computer store, the average employee can walk off with thousands if not millions of customer names, phone numbers, birthdates, and worse: private health information or credit data.

"It's becoming a huge issue," said Kark.

Information Leak

In response, some companies are employing information leak protection (ILP) software that surveils their networks for consumer mass storage tools.

According to Kark, some ILP software can even distinguish between sensitive and nonsensitive data, assigning users access rights and permission levels on the basis of the information itself.

The result? In the past, companies were obsessed with what entered their networks -- virus attacks, spyware, and other malicious code. Now, they're just as worried about what's getting out.
    The press release dated today on Toshiba's own site includes some letters that the Yahoo article does not, namely the characters "HC" appended to the end of "SD." SDHC is a format which will not work in SD devices, like our Treos.

I haven't confirmed factually but I don't think there will ever be an SD card greater than 4GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshiba
    IRVINE, Calif., and TOKYO, November 20, 2006 — Toshiba America Electronic Components, Inc., (TAEC)* and its parent, Toshiba Corp. (Toshiba), today announced the global launch of the latest addition to its new series of high-capacity SDHC Memory Cards: the industry’s first 8-gigabyte (GB)1 Class 4 memory card. The new card will be introduced in early January 2007, alongside the 4GB products launched in September, and will give Toshiba a larger commercially available lineup in high performance SD Memory Cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by RawsonDR View Post
    The press release dated today on Toshiba's own site includes some letters that the Yahoo article does not, namely the characters "HC" appended to the end of "SD." SDHC is a format which will not work in SD devices, like our Treos.

I haven't confirmed factually but I don't think there will ever be an SD card greater than 4GB.
    No there won't. It's an issue of bit-addressing vrs. sector addressing. SD card specs are for up to 2gb, however it'll do up to 4gb....just not within the "official" standards.

However, past 4gb, it becomes another issue entirely, hence no regular SD cards over 4gb. The treo hardware (namely the pxa 270 and the card reading hardware) *could* read an SDHC card, but it's a driver issue. The SD card interface in Palm OS Garnet does not support the proper addressing.

hence, no SDHC support. Maybe they'll issue an update. (I hope).

But no hack or workaround thus far for anything bigger than 4gb
    How in the name of the gates of Hades do you fill up a 4G card? <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddoo View Post
    Actually pretty easy. I don't have mine filled up right now but could pretty quick. I use my phone as a MP3 player also and could put over 4gb's of music. Or I could put some movies or shows and that would fill it up.
    yes it's very easy to fill up a SD card, mine only has 600 mb left. After movies, music, game storage for emus, multiple contingency backups, pdf(word, excel etc.) files, and pictures the answer to this question becomes quite obvious.
    !! uNo.....DoS.....tReO!!

http://www.myspace.com/ljj8503
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddoo View Post
    With a card writer.....

(okay seriously). If you want your treo to be a true convergence device, then that means entertainment (music and movies). Unless you plan on streaming everything. (power intensive and cuts out if you monentarly loose your connection. Also doesn't work on airplanes, subways ect)

Music takes a lot of space. Movies take even more ;-)