Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Interesting. Another layer of protection I have been playing with for the last week is one I noted on Palm Addict yesterday - Password Launcher at http://www.wishsolutions.com/palmos.html. I have not registered it yet, the reason being when the password is masked, it does not allow for entry of the complete password (at least in the test drive mode) and I am waiting on word from the developer on that issue.

It is reliably enabling/disabling and is properly protecting the selected applications. I have not had any interaction problems with it so far. It can easily be deleted though, hence being a ZLauncher user, I hide the application in the "Invisible" tab.

Ben
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    FYI, Teallock 6.0 is out of beta and has been released. I had helped with some beta testing, and it really works great on the 700P. I had stopped using it awhile ago because of problems, but now works conistently and fast.

I'm not quite sure what advantage BluePill offers over the Teallock "built in" options for locking or destroying data on the card with sms. If anyone is clear on this, please educate us.... thanks.
    More speed then anything else, as I also use both Teal Lock 6 (up'd from #5) and BluePill. On my Treo 700p I was able to determine with Teal Lock was initially doing its thing and delay the remote locking process; with BluePill, it does it in the background, which means it does it faster. It is also harder to delete, as you have to enter the password in order to delete it.

Of the security applications out there, Teal Lock is the strongest; for remote locking though, BluePill is faster and is executed in the background. To throw a third layer into the security thing, I am also playing with Password Lock.

My Treo is always on the belt, rarely set down; however, one day not too long ago, it slipped from the belt when the clip on the back of the case broke. At that, a trip to CompUSA for another cheap case was made. Teal Lock went into beta with #6 and I downloaded it and played, though still relying on mSafe. At that point I was interested in the "pretty picture" that Teal Lock was suppose to be able to display when the unit was activated, as at that time, both mSafe and TealLock provided the same level of service I was interested in. Frankly, mSafe become boring to look at - really boring. Anyway, my Treo carries lots of work related information on it and just not work related. The "just not work related" data is encrypted and password protected and suffering the "I do not want to take the time to do it," never bothered to take the five minutes or so to encrypt the work data.

Like most of us here, I have read a few stories about lost and lonely Treos and the problem that runaway Treos caused their owners. That began the AGAIN search to update the security of my Treo 650 (used by the wife) and my 700p (used only by me - I have gotten rid of the 600 & 700w and I hate to think of starting over when I get the 700wx). Anyway, I paid more attention to security and revisited all of them (yes all I could find at any site I wandered in to and Googled for) and found that TealLock 6 was still the best, though it still had some problems. I updated the release and purchased the license shortly after it left beta. I was though slightly unhappy because I was able to see the steps TealLock 6 was taking and once was able to stall the locking process through repeated tries (spent two hours one boring evening working at it).

BluePill was mentioned in a message I read and with nothing left to loose, I backed up the device (3 times or so that day) and went at it. Not bad. It has its problems, for instance the zapping of the card for one, though I keep NO sensitive data on the card and my ChatterEmail folders/data are encrypted and I can live with that. My main concern is the device itself. I would say therefore that my interest in BluePill is that it DOES handle the device quicker than TealLock 6 and before I know it on my devices. And then...

A customer at a store I was working at asked about the Treo and being the guy that I am, I handed it to her and we talked while I worked; she had the 650. Glad she was trustworthy, because afterward I realized that she could have walked away with it during those times I was not watching closely. That caused the looking around for another level of security. At about that time I started playing with Password Lock and decided against it, hey why worry (you know the song). I started worrying and now have it installed, waiting to hear from the developer on an issue I am having with it. As a note, I had been playing with it a bit under a week or so when I saw it mentioned on Palm Addict.

From almost trusting to oh gosh, that is the reason I have started paying more attention to device security. Putting Teal Lock 6, BluePill and Password Lock together makes it very tough to use my Treo by anyone other than myself. For me, a couple of extra stokes and life is again good.

Ben
    Last edited by bclinger; 11/24/2006 at 05:36 PM.
  4.    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdadoc View Post
    FYI, Teallock 6.0 is out of beta and has been released. I had helped with some beta testing, and it really works great on the 700P. I had stopped using it awhile ago because of problems, but now works conistently and fast.

I'm not quite sure what advantage BluePill offers over the Teallock "built in" options for locking or destroying data on the card with sms. If anyone is clear on this, please educate us.... thanks.
    True, TealLock 6.00 is out and is not considered beta, but 6.01 beta is the latest and what I'm working with.

Well, since I can't get TealLock to delete data on my SD card (yet), that's one reason I'm using BluePill. The other, as Ben stated, is speed and "stealth mode!"

At this point of the two apps' development, I'm counting on TealLock to prevent the finder/thief of my Treo from getting at my data short term, and if they trigger the self-destruct before I can send the BluePill SMS, then I'm pretty much protected, although I'll feel better when TealPoint gets back to me with a fix for the wiping of my SD card during "self-destruct" which isn't working.

But I know for a fact that if I send the BluePill SMS message before the finder/thief gets around to causing the self-destruct, then the RAM and SD card are "toast" with BluePill . . . tested it and it works great. Does it's "thing" while the Treo sits there dark and apparently doing nothing!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    For short term protection, TealLock works 100%. In order to get past Teal Lock on my device, well it just cannot be done sort of a hard reset. A soft reset is still monitored by Teal Lock and the device if locked prior the reset will remain locked after a soft reset. I will check the Teal site for the beta.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    True, TealLock 6.00 is out and is not considered beta, but 6.01 beta is the latest and what I'm working with.

Well, since I can't get TealLock to delete data on my SD card (yet), that's one reason I'm using BluePill. The other, as Ben stated, is speed and "stealth mode!"

At this point of the two apps' development, I'm counting on TealLock to prevent the finder/thief of my Treo from getting at my data short term, and if they trigger the self-destruct before I can send the BluePill SMS, then I'm pretty much protected, although I'll feel better when TealPoint gets back to me with a fix for the wiping of my SD card during "self-destruct" which isn't working.

But I know for a fact that if I send the BluePill SMS message before the finder/thief gets around to causing the self-destruct, then the RAM and SD card are "toast" with BluePill . . . tested it and it works great. Does it's "thing" while the Treo sits there dark and apparently doing nothing!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    Interesting. Another layer of protection I have been playing with for the last week is one I noted on Palm Addict yesterday - Password Launcher at http://www.wishsolutions.com/palmos.html.
    Ben
    I'm not quite sure why you would want this, as any app added to the "Protected" list within TealLock6 will ask for your password every time before you can launch it, the same as Password Launcher ?
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    That is the idea! however, when I tested it with TealLock, it opens ChatterEmail, displays it, exits ChatterEmail, displays the lock screen, then I have to enter the password and it then goes back to ChatterEmail. A few too many steps there.

Password Launcher uses the same password; however, it does not open then close then display the password prompt. What it does is prompts you BEFORE the app is run.

Ben
    Last edited by bclinger; 11/25/2006 at 11:32 AM.
    Why is BluePill not working at all for me on the Treo 700p? It seems easy enough but nothing has worked!

I have the ENABLED box for Trigger message checked
    Then STATUS on next line
    Case -sensitive box checked

and for actions the following are checked:

Respond to SMS
    Alert with owner info
    Password protect device

I sent the word STATUS to my number and I receive the message but nothing happens! At the very least shouldn't the device be password protected at this point?

WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING?
    Probably the case sensitive stuff - I never use case sensitive anything and always make sure the trigger messages match. Ben
    Tried w/o case sensitive and still NFG!
  11.    #71  
    You should try checking "Substring." What that does is make it so that if you sent an SMS that read "What is the STATUS of your project?" it would still key on STATUS. It also overcomes things like your SMS vehicle may add characters / words to the front or backend of you SMS message, which checking "Substring" takes care of.

Regards,
    John
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    That did the trick!
    I will be registering ASAP!
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    based on the previous discussions, i did purchase blue pill. i had been using butler for security, but wanted something dedicated specifically to security.
    the blue pill program asks for a password, which i had set up in butler, but is there another place on my treo700p where that might be find. i eventually may want to remove butler and then am not sure what will happen to the password.
    thanks
    There should be a "default" security application - the password can also be set there. Ben
    I have never considered having one of these programs on my Treo until now. Get out of cab in Boston. Head for hotel at the end of a long flight. A dude takes my cab, turns around and hands me my Treo that I left on the seat.

Thanks, dude!

I'm going to get Blue Pill and who knows what else.

BTW. Hotel 9-0. Yes that is the name. 90 Tremont St. Boston. Nice.
    The things we take for granted. Yep, time with security issues is time well spent. Teal Lock 6 for basic security and BluePill for the JUST IN CASE go good together.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by scrote View Post
    Why is BluePill not working at all for me on the Treo 700p? It seems easy enough but nothing has worked!

I have the ENABLED box for Trigger message checked
    Then STATUS on next line
    Case -sensitive box checked

and for actions the following are checked:

Respond to SMS
    Alert with owner info
    Password protect device

I sent the word STATUS to my number and I receive the message but nothing happens! At the very least shouldn't the device be password protected at this point?

WHAT THE HECK AM I MISSING?

I had similar problems with my 700p until I installed version 1.1.3 of BluePill. Everything now works. Just purchased it as I am thoroughly impressed with this application. The reset function invokes the secure wipe feature which thoroughly erases the Treo. I like how just about everything occurs in the background. Speed and size (only 25kb) of the app are also impressive.
    You guys got me interested in checking out BluePill. Previously, I was also using the older version of TealLock, which simply didn't work right on my 700p. Now, after reading this post, I'm going to check out both BluePill and the latest version of TealLock too.
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
    The latest version of TealLock - 6 - grab the beta - it is very stable and working great for me. I have it set to lock after 15 minutes of inactivity between 10a-7p and it does not miss a beat. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    The latest version of TealLock - 6 - grab the beta - it is very stable and working great for me. I have it set to lock after 15 minutes of inactivity between 10a-7p and it does not miss a beat. Ben

I have 2 questions, if you don't mind.

Using BluePill, I see a screen with the same line duplicated which is <DISABLED ACTION> Why is this same line duplicated from top to bottom of screen? Is it all the same thing, or different? Also, is there a cheat sheet for what settings to use?

Regarding TealLock, I have installed version 6.0, not the Beta version. Is the Beta version better than the non-beta version? So far, 6.0 seems to work okay without any immediate problems.

Thanks, Casey
    Casey
    Sprint 755p, 700p, 650 - I am not a geek! Really!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast