Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Why is there so much controversy over Versamail? Are there stability issues related to using it instead of a 3d party app?
    Hi zeze22!

It has suited my needs for 22 months.

4 accounts set up (3 Home, 1 Business)

Primary complaints, I believe: not a "push" program, POP3 servers only, some 3rd party programs have functionality others are looking for that are not present in Versamail.

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hi zeze22!

Primary complaints, I believe: not a "push" program, POP3 servers only, some 3rd party programs have functionality others are looking for that are not present in Versamail.

Cheers, Perry.
    I have always loved Versamail myself. The features are fine for me. I also have bo stability issues with my 700p, even with a small arsenal of 3p apps. So, I'm not missing some magic bullet speed improvement by using VMail other than another mail client? Thanks.
    We will have to let those users chime in. . . . .
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I used VersaMail for a bit (using IMAP) to check my personal and work emails. Now I just use pssh to log in and use pine like I do normally. (Yes, I'm a unix geek)

I didn't really have any problems with it, a few stability issues, but I think that was more LJP causing general stability issues. If it wasn't for the fact that I actually prefer going the pssh route, I'd keep using VersaMail.

But I'm new to Treos and not a power user compared to some people here.
    I have used the versamail program that came with 700p. It seems to work fine for my needs which are basically checking my personal yahoo mail (which is pop). I have tried chatter and snapper. I thought they were fine but not worth spending extra money on. I don't autocheck my mail...I check my mail when I intend on reading it. I have had no stability issue.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Ah yes, the other reason I just use(d) VersaMail - I don't believe in paying for email clients.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I use VersaMail for 2, POP3 accounts (work and home).

It works well for me. I only want to get e-mail when i have tie or the desire to deal with it so I'm not realy interested in push. I haven't faced stability issues.

Chatter is a good app. with good support but it costs $39.95 and causes Pocket Tunes to skip and seems to burn through the battery.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    The versions of Versamail that shipped with the Treo600 and Treo650 were very buggy and caused some problems. The version that ships with the 700p is rock solid stable and works perfectly.

A few months ago there were a couple of jokers here that said if you delete all the Versamail files it will eliminate any lags. They were wrong because the lags come from other 3rd party software. Even though they were wrong there were others here that adopted the same talking points to help justify their purchase of other email programs. The fact is that this is complete BS.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    I have to weigh in on this subject because I have tried Chatter and Snapper (more than once each). That was with the 650.

I have ZERO complaints about my versamail with my 700p. Works flawlessly so far. I know some have a need for "push" email but I have 4 email accounts and 3 of them are set to autosync every 15 minutes. That's as close to push as I need.

Very happy with Versamail
    Hi zeze22!

Cheers, Perry.
    I use IMAP servers via Versamail brother Perry. Its the only way to be served.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I use versamail on my 700p too and have no problems with it. It autosyncs two email accounts and let's me know when I have mail.

I played with chatter for a little while and decided I didn't need it and didn't need the large footprint. I don't need any push.
    Versamail autosync works just fine for my needs.

Quote Originally Posted by KStewart View Post
    I use IMAP servers via Versamail brother Perry. Its the only way to be served.
    Learn something new everyday!
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Rumor from palminsider.com is that Palm will release a new version of Versamail next January

"News & Rumors
    Written by Amstel
    Tuesday, 21 November 2006
    Palm is responding to the new needs of its latest smartphones and hence will release the next month of January a new version of Versamail with multiple improvements but especially the push mail feature. More details to come. Stay tuned!"
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Learn something new everyday!
    The usual problem with IMAP I have seen is you can recieve email but can't send. The way around it is go into advanced munu in set-up and go to Outgoing Server Settings...keep port 587 make sure Use authentication is checked(ESMTP) and retype Username and Assinged Passward...presto IMAP with Versamail. That is the way I did it at least and it works fine.
    at&t iPhone3G
    I use Versamail the only issue I have is I have to delete my account every now and then because it won't let me delete emails from the server they just keep coming back. When I start a new account it elminates this problem for a while but then it resurfaces.
    Versamail on my 650 use to freeze all the time and cause resets. I fully understand why people were using other applications. The 700p has been excellent. Can't say I have had any issues using gmail.
    I must have a buggy phone, whether using Vmail or Chatter to sync an IMAP account my phone will quite often be frozen in sleep mode. Happens so often I spend most of my time doing soft resets. Even tested this with no 3rd party apps installed. Have new phone coming via mail, hopefully this one will work right.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    I've never had a problem with VM. I use it with my Gmail account all the time with no "beef".
    My wish for VersaMail is that it would sync with my Outlook Exchange account (email) but not sync my calendar.

I need something that lets me obtain work emails- which uses a OWA account like most people do. Only Chatter and Versamail appear to do this. But Versamail forces you to sync your calendar as well. Well, I have no need for my work calendar on my treo. And I almost erased my entire work calendar when I tried setting up and syncing my Versamail- quite a scare.

Anyone have any tips or solutions? Hopefully the next version of VM will sync only email.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast