1.    #1  
    Hey, gang..forgive me if this is here somewhere and I just can't find it with Search, but..

I've been thinking more and more about a 700P instead of the 680. Primary reasons being: fast data on Verizon/Sprint (reasonably important to me) and a much better camera. Oh, and the fact that Palm can't seem to get an actual SHIPMENT of a 680 done is entering into the mix as well.

Aside from the better "form factor" (no antenna, a bit thinner and rounded corners) that the 680 has, what are the arguments for the 680 over the 700P?

Also - sure seems like a lot of people have..um.."glitches" with their 700s (based on posts over on the 700 board). Is this thing "safe" to buy and expect reliable service out of, or is it a POS?

Another negative to the 700: is it nearing "end of life"? Seems like no updates are forthcoming to fix the issues that people have with it. So, would plunking down my hard earned greenbacks be buying "obsolete" technology with the 680 literally days (ha)/weeks away?

Thanks, and hopefully this isn't a FAQ that I just missed somewhere..(apologies if so).
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    For me the decision is quite simple. I would buy the 700p without question except for two reasons:

1) The Sprint coverage in my location is poor and their is NO powervision here (not just bad, non-existant) For that reason I need GSM. Cingular covers my area like a blanket. (a slow, costly one, but that's better than none at all!) I know, I've been on Sprint for the last 2.5 years.

2) The cost. Even with Sprint retentions, I can't seem to get the 700p down to the (supposed) price point of the 680. Not even close. If you can't afford/justify the initial cost of the 700p, then the 680 looks like a nice option.

(NOTE: point # 2 is mitigated by the fact that monthly usage cost for Sprint is significantly lower than what I will pay through cingular. That stinks. But without coverage, the cheaper rates don't mean much...)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTheFly View Post
    For me the decision is quite simple. I would buy the 700p without question except for two reasons:

1) The Sprint coverage in my location is poor and their is NO powervision here (not just bad, non-existant) For that reason I need GSM. Cingular covers my area like a blanket. (a slow, costly one, but that's better than none at all!) I know, I've been on Sprint for the last 2.5 years.
    Just curious..is there a reason you wouldn't do Verizon instead with the 700P?

I'm seriously leaning toward the 700 at this point - main reason being fast data (vs Cingular's pokey dial-up like speeds). I just am going to HATE the form factor of the 700 over the 680, though. (I know..it's minor, but the biggie is the internal antenna of the 680, tho I do wonder how it will impact signal strength..)
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    Good call on the Verizon option. Verizon actually seems to get really good coverage (in my area) and I believe they have excellent customer service. I haven't considered them because they equal the cost of cingular for full data coverage and at can't afford that. Here are my numbers:

Sprint: 200 minutes (i don't make many calls) - $30/mo
    unlimited data - $15/mo

Cingular: 450 minute (least they offer) - $39/mo
    unlimetd data - $39/mo (not gonna do it)
    media max - $19/mo (can finagle it if talk to right cs rep)

Verizon: ?? minutes - $39.99/mo
    unlimited data - $39.99/mo

Sprint is cheepest, no coverage
    Cingular is second in cost, but slow speeds
    Verizon is best of both coverage and speed, but you pay for it.

That's in my neighborhood at least (Connecticut)