1.    #1  
    Hi all,
    I'm new to the Palm but have been with PC's for years. Something I am not getting with the Palm. All of my apps are now past the trial date and an extra step is now notifying me of required registration at <http://www.zztechs.com/en/> which is asking for $20. Is there a way to overcome these extra steps and costs with the software?

thanks,
    Mrp
    nope you have used the trail now it is time to pay. Try looking for freeware apps ionstead of shareware (that is if you don't want to pay).
    Google is my Best Friend

The Building of the Biggest Software Site EVER!

http://www.treoquestions.org/questions/downloads.php
  3.    #3  
    Hi,

I'm not happy about that. Why, I'm not cheap and don't mind paying for quality software. However, I didn't know this was shareware until the messages started coming up. I don't like being forced into buying software, rarely will I pay for that. What are other options?

thanks,
    Mrp
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Mrp,

To be honest, I wouldn't ask publicly how to get programs for free. But I did send you a private message.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    That's a horrible attitude. If it's something you use and you like, you should absolutely support the developers, that way they can continue to develope new software for us.

Your outlook is selfish and wrong.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpotts View Post
    Hi,

I'm not happy about that. Why, I'm not cheap and don't mind paying for quality software. However, I didn't know this was shareware until the messages started coming up. I don't like being forced into buying software, rarely will I pay for that. What are other options?

thanks,
    Mrp
    No one is forcing you to buy it. If it adds value, then you should pay. If you don't feel it is worth the $20 then walk away.

That being said - I have used zLauncher for over 2 years - it is a solid program with a lot of configurable options. Updates and improvements have not come rapidly, though.

J
    Last edited by jsgreen; 11/20/2006 at 12:16 PM.
    I'll be a bit surprised if your PC doesn't have commercial software on it. Or do you mean you have pirated software?

On the Palm platform, most of the software has free trials, so you can figure out if it really works, and if you like it, before you buy. And most of it is so inexpensive I don't mind paying for it.

But if you really don't want to buy software, there are thousands of free programs available. Check out freewarepalm.com.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    That's a horrible attitude. If it's something you use and you like, you should absolutely support the developers, that way they can continue to develope new software for us.

Your outlook is selfish and wrong.
    Hi all,

Okay, time for a flaming, but first thanks to all for the input. I had a feeling this post might bring up some reaction. Perhaps I should have made it clear initially instead of the second post ("I didn't know this was shareware until the messages started coming up"), but I don't remember any information I was using shareware with Zlauncher. Perhaps I missed it and if someone points out the step I forgot, I'll quickly admit my ignorance and mistake. So why don't I want to pay the $20, well I'll tell you, but no one will really care. My own reasons, bad accident, out of work since March, higher priority bills, etc, waa-waa-waa. I also, in particular, don't want to pay right now because I was surprised by this charge. After paying $200 for the phone a while back, I don't want to pay more for what I consider to be normal daily operations. Care to compare to buying a PC? You don't walk into a retailer to buy a PC with the sales saying it is a ready-to-go product only to find out a month later you need to buy an OS. That's how I feel with this "forced" shareware. IMO Palm should be including these basic items with the cost of phone (Address book, Tasks, Memos, Camera, Calander, Mail, Calculator, etc). Why are we not having the same issues with the Palm PIM? Point is, I'm well aware there are free, just-as-good, alternatives. So Thank You meyerweb for the link.

So now for the flame. Hanuman, it's obvious to me you're a judgemental moron. I am not any better by also calling you a name, but nevertheless, from your post I feel you're ignorant, judgemental, and a moron. In your short post you call me selfish, wrong, and having a horrible attitude. You never question my perspective before your tirade. Seek therapy.

Oh, and with the name Hanuman, you should be ashamed of yourself. You express no devotion to God nor any interest in the knowledge of truth, and you appear to be lost in maya.

I apologize to all others who have experienced this venom between us. I beg your forgivness.

Mrp
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    Hi all,
    So now for the flame. Hanuman, it's obvious to me you're a judgemental moron. I am not any better by also calling you a name, but nevertheless, from your post I feel you're ignorant, judgemental, and a moron. In your short post you call me selfish, wrong, and having a horrible attitude. You never question my perspective before your tirade. Seek therapy.

Oh, and with the name Hanuman, you should be ashamed of yourself. You express no devotion to God nor any interest in the knowledge of truth, and you appear to be lost in maya.

Mrp
    Whoa! Hit a nerve did I? Well let me begin by saying I never resorted to name calling. I may not be enlightened, but I consider myself an adult. You're entitled to your opinion of me, as I am of you.

I will also add that your analogy is inaccurate, as most PC's come with an operating system (just like Palm comes with Palm OS). If you like software that will augment it, enhance it, or otherwise make it better, then why shouldn't one pay for it? For example,I own a Apple computer and OSX is great, but if I like iLife, I would consider paying for it. Again like I said before, developers can continue to develope great software for us, as long as honest people support them. By the way, you calling ME judgemental? It's a name sheesh (X-man was already taken, ok?)
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanuman View Post
    I will also add that your analogy is inaccurate, as most PC's come with an operating system (just like Palm comes with Palm OS). If you like software that will augment it, enhance it, or otherwise make it better, then why shouldn't one pay for it? For example,I own a Apple computer and OSX is great, but if I like iLife, I would consider paying for it.

I can understand your point with software that will "augment it, enhance it, or otherwise make it better", but this is payment for the basic applications of the PDA (like is said earlier, Address book, Tasks, Memos, Camera, Calander, Mail, Calculator, etc). Perhaps it's a difference of opinion but these apps are (or should be) included with the price of the PDA. That's why your spending the extra cash and not going with a free phone. Look at Blackberry. Am I missing something here?
    Mrp
    I can understand your point with software that will "augment it, enhance it, or otherwise make it better", but this is payment for the basic applications of the PDA (like is said earlier, Address book, Tasks, Memos, Camera, Calander, Mail, Calculator, etc). Perhaps it's a difference of opinion but these apps are (or should be) included with the price of the PDA. That's why your spending the extra cash and not going with a free phone. Look at Blackberry. Am I missing something here?
    Mrp
    Yes, you're missing something. Or I am. The Treo comes with a launcher. It's what you get when you hit the home button. ZLauncher "enhances" the Treo. By no means is it a necessary component. In fact, I'd bet the majority of users here DON'T use ZLauncher.

I'm not sure if I understand what you're saying, but every app you mention above (Address book, Tasks, Memos, Camera, Calander, Mail, Calculator) is included with the Treo. You don't need to pay for any of them. Also included is some game software, Documents To Go, SMS software, an MP3 player, an email app, a web browser, and more. I have a bunch of apps installed on my Treo, some free, some I paid for. But not one of them is mandatory. The Treo works fine without them. Well, except maybe for mail. Versamail is a dog.

Edit: The more I re-read your message, the more I think you don't realize all these apps are built in. Installing ZLauncher didn't add these things to your Treo, it just gives you a different way of organizing things. Have you read the manual on the CD? It might help a lot.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Feel free to post the exact URL you downloaded ZLauncher and I'll be happy to point out where it says it's NOT freeware.

Or in the About.. Or in the packaging.. Or in the help in the zip.. Or on the zztechs website....

If you don't want to pay for it, uninstall it. Period. That's what trial periods are for. You either decide you want to pay for it, or you decide you don't need it enough to do so.
    Just uninstall it.

Menu - Delete - Zlauncher - Done.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A