Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    At this rate, it would seem highly unlikely that Palm is going to get the unlocked version of the 680 out in time for the all-important Christmas shopping season.

Assuming the 680 comes out on Cingular in the next week or two (who knows if it actually WILL or not), I'd assume Palm will give them some "exclusive" period to sell it. That adds at LEAST a couple of weeks. So, we're talking mid-December at earliest for the unlocked 680s, right? And that's assuming release on Cingular THIS week, which who on earth knows if they can even hit THAT?

Talk about a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE mismanagement of product release. If I were Palm's CEO, I'd be firing some people. I mean..I want Palm to succeed (desparately, since I HATE M$ with the fire of a thousand suns), but these people appear completely incompetent in actually SHIPPING a functional product. And, to miss (the bulk of the) Christmas (shopping season)..that's DEATH in retail.

- PB
    No they won't.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBear View Post
    At this rate, it would seem highly unlikely that Palm is going to get the unlocked version of the 680 out in time for the all-important Christmas shopping season.

Assuming the 680 comes out on Cingular in the next week or two (who knows if it actually WILL or not), I'd assume Palm will give them some "exclusive" period to sell it. That adds at LEAST a couple of weeks. So, we're talking mid-December at earliest for the unlocked 680s, right? And that's assuming release on Cingular THIS week, which who on earth knows if they can even hit THAT?

Talk about a horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE mismanagement of product release. If I were Palm's CEO, I'd be firing some people. I mean..I want Palm to succeed (desparately, since I HATE M$ with the fire of a thousand suns), but these people appear completely incompetent in actually SHIPPING a functional product. And, to miss (the bulk of the) Christmas (shopping season)..that's DEATH in retail.

- PB
    Amen to that

Caally
    - PB
    I ASSUME that you know nothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Rome View Post
    LOL.
  6.    #6  
    Ah, isn't it a bit obvious that the 680 is WAY late, and the calendar "is what it is"?

EVEN **IF** they announce on Cingular THIS WEEK, it is almost certain they'll miss the Christmas market with the unlocked version - unless they announce them concurrently. Fat chance of that happening.

Sheer idiocy, missing Christmas. Someone (many) should be fired over that.
    Fire someone right before Christmas just because you MAY not get a phone by Christmas???

A few observations from your posts in this thread:

- You don't know business
    - You don't know how to manage an organization.
    - You have no heart, and, on a second thought, no brain either.

Happy holidays to you too...
  8.    #8  
    Fire someone right before Christmas just because you MAY not get a phone by Christmas???

A few observations from your posts in this thread:

- You don't know business
    - You don't know how to manage an organization.
    - You have no heart, and, on a second thought, no brain either.

Happy holidays to you too...
    Oh, good grief. I shouldn't even waste my time responding to that tripe, but what the..

"You don't know business". BZZZT. Wrong answer. Thanks for trying. I've been in business 30+ years and very successful. You?

"You don't know how to manage". BZZT AGAIN! GOOD management would have shipped a freakin product by now, and MADE MONEY (the name of the game). Not shipping a product by the Christmas market has ZIP to do with "my desires to get a phone before Christmas", and EVERYTHING to do with making huge, massive piles of cash on a product that people want to buy. (See: the whole point of Business in the first place..Business 101 text).

"You have no heart..blah, blah, blah". Oh, good grief. That's not even worth responding to.

Cheers to you as well..
    (sigh)
    Its Christmas season, Sorry its Silly Season. hehe. Let's not let this get the best of us. Everybody take a deep breathe, and go decorate the Christmas Tree and hopefully Santa Claus will climb down the chimney with a Ho Ho Treo, till then no one knows any specifics, and there is no point in getting upset with each other. With all due respect, to some extent I blame Palm not for not having the product out yet because sh*t hapens but for not letting people know what is going on and keeping us in the dark.

I think that Palm should give a complimentary punching bag prior to receiving our Treo to take out our fustration.

"When a secret is revealed, it is the fault of the man who confided it"
    Jean de la Bruyere

Caally.
    Not in Europe. Apparently they can pre-order overseas, but not here.

http://eurostore.palm.com/is-bin/INT...U%40ConsumerEN

http://eurostore.palm.com/is-bin/INT..._online=online
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    i do have to agree that the xmas shopping season around this time is very important to a lot of companies...what's the stats on retail? isnt it like 40% of their overall yearly sales figures?

Well it's a big snafu, and from what i read from gizmodo, and if it's true about them shipping a lot of the 680's without the mic wire connected...yes someone has a lot of explaining to do.

And honestly, does big business give a sh1t about the holidays? I just went through yet another cut at one of the major wireless provider this past week. hell one guy just started that same day and got laid off at the end of the day. It's all about the bottom line w/ these companies and xmas or not if someone deserves to get fired for this then you can bet **** will roll down hill.
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    This thread is going to look very silly in a couple of weeks.
    It will look silly even sooner than a couple weeks.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. PooperScoop View Post
    This thread is going to look very silly in a couple of weeks.
    How so? Unless they get it out THIS WEEK, they will miss a big chunk of the Christmas retail season - which is arguably 40% of their annual revenues (on average, this is the case for most consumer products).

And, think about it - PALM unlocked will probably follow AT LEAST a few weeks/months after Cingular. So, everyone who wants one BEFORE Christmas will be forced to Cingular with a locked phone. That will cut further into their sales.

THAT was my point before I got bashed earlier. Missing a big chunk of your Christmas seeason sales (which I contend they will, even IF they ship this week [a fantasy, IMHO]) is DEATH in retail in terms of $$$s missed. When I said the Palm CEO should whack people for mismanaging the release, that's what I meant. The dollar impact of not having it out NOW is HUGE, regardless of my own personal desire or lack of it to buy one of these. (Incidentally, I've worked in consumer electronics and have managed product releases around Christmas for some pretty large companies. Believe me - I know what I'm talking about here, first-hand).

Christmas retail is huge. Getting it out NOW is ESSENTIAL to capturing Christmas $$ spend. Miss that, and they miss 40% (approx) of their YEARLY SALES on the unit (traditional #s for consumer electronics). But, they're Palm - they apparently don't "get that" and never have..they ship when they want, years late, with outdated technology. And they wonder why M$ is kicking their tails and they're headed the same way Tivo is - great product (years ago at least) - accellerating toward the ground at a high rate of speed.

If they keep running things as badly as they have, they will cease to exist in two years, and we'll be stuck with M$ crap and nothing else viable in the "PDA" space. (I don't consider BB a PDA - great email. Bad PDA). Nice.
    Like I said, you don't know the mobile phone business...
    Can someone explain why Europe can pre-order, but NA cannot?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Wonder what percentage of Palm's sales are through carriers vs unlocked? I would imagine the overwhelming majority is through the carriers no?

And as for the holiday season, it's not like the PS3 and Wii came out a month ago, they came out late last week..if Palm releases at least the 680 by the end of the month I think they will be fine...on second thought...I would imagine Cingular already has their order in so Palm's already made their money (assuming they've shipped to Cingular)...it's the carriers that stand to lose more if they don't make it available to consumers in time for holiday purchases (which still has about 5 weeks to go)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    It will look silly even sooner than a couple weeks.
    It will look silly on, oh, let's say Friday morning maybe.......and who knows maybe you can even get a special deal on a big shopping day from a certain GSM carrier maybe even something that make s2 people happy for the price of 1 person being happy.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    How so? Unless they get it out THIS WEEK, they will miss a big chunk of the Christmas retail season - which is arguably 40% of their annual revenues (on average, this is the case for most consumer products).

And, think about it - PALM unlocked will probably follow AT LEAST a few weeks/months after Cingular. So, everyone who wants one BEFORE Christmas will be forced to Cingular with a locked phone. That will cut further into their sales.

THAT was my point before I got bashed earlier. Missing a big chunk of your Christmas seeason sales (which I contend they will, even IF they ship this week [a fantasy, IMHO]) is DEATH in retail in terms of $$$s missed. When I said the Palm CEO should whack people for mismanaging the release, that's what I meant. The dollar impact of not having it out NOW is HUGE, regardless of my own personal desire or lack of it to buy one of these. (Incidentally, I've worked in consumer electronics and have managed product releases around Christmas for some pretty large companies. Believe me - I know what I'm talking about here, first-hand).

Christmas retail is huge. Getting it out NOW is ESSENTIAL to capturing Christmas $$ spend. Miss that, and they miss 40% (approx) of their YEARLY SALES on the unit (traditional #s for consumer electronics). But, they're Palm - they apparently don't "get that" and never have..they ship when they want, years late, with outdated technology. And they wonder why M$ is kicking their tails and they're headed the same way Tivo is - great product (years ago at least) - accellerating toward the ground at a high rate of speed.

If they keep running things as badly as they have, they will cease to exist in two years, and we'll be stuck with M$ crap and nothing else viable in the "PDA" space. (I don't consider BB a PDA - great email. Bad PDA). Nice.
    I am not disagreeing with the importance of the holiday season. But...you are wrong about the exclusivity period. The 680s will be a simultaneous release. The 750 will be the Cingular exclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Wonder what percentage of Palm's sales are through carriers vs unlocked? I would imagine the overwhelming majority is through the carriers no?

And as for the holiday season, it's not like the PS3 and Wii came out a month ago, they came out late last week..if Palm releases at least the 680 by the end of the month I think they will be fine...on second thought...I would imagine Cingular already has their order in so Palm's already made their money (assuming they've shipped to Cingular)...it's the carriers that stand to lose more if they don't make it available to consumers in time for holiday purchases (which still has about 5 weeks to go)
    I agree 100%!! I don't think anyone is going to be hurting come Christmas time!! Scrambling now? maybe. Whipping people into a mouth frothing frenzy? Always!! Stupid? Absolutely not. Like the previous post said...all these other tech items just made it to the stores this last week )PS 3, Wii, etc...and they only had 6 or 7 at a time to sell. Don't think that is isn't all by design. If they release on Black Friday.....there will be a mad rush...and plenty of channels (stores, phone sales, Internet) with which to satisfy the rush. It's not like the old days where the products had to be in store by Halloween to be a success. With all the channels available...(I hope), they should be able to do this right. and with the recent back door leak of palm's 680 link and al of the websites offer 680 for pre order, it is a matter of time. As for unlocked and colors, It's looking like they are going to come fairly quickly afterward.
    Last edited by MattM2G; 11/20/2006 at 03:01 PM.
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast