1.    #1  
    Verizon tech support can't resolve this. Hoping someone here can point me in the right direction.

Yesterday my Treo 700p crashed (not unusual, happens about 2-3 time/week). I did a soft reset, and after the radio started I got a "Security Lockout" screen, asking for a password to access the device. Problem is, I have never set a password for the device; in fact, the security settings are Password: Unassigned, Lock Device: Never. Thus, I don't have the password it is asking for. Verizon suggested the last four digits of the phone number, but that didn't work and neither did a variety of other things I tried.

I found that if I do a warm reset, the problem doesn't occur -- the system starts up without the lockout screen. I backed up my data and did a hard reset. After the hard reset, the problem doesn't come back until I restore my data. Verizon seems unable to troubleshoot it any further and wants to blame it on third party software.

If I could figure out what file contains the corrupted setting, I could remove it before restoring my data and hopefully work around the problem. Can anyone point me to where the problem might be?
    Yea I dont know what good the password lock is... I had mine set and after a restart not a reset of the phone it will ask for the password, but if I do a reset it wont ask for a password and you can use everything normally.. Major flaw in design. As for passwords did you try the last 4 of your phone number? I know my last phone after a hard reset the password would be the last 4 of your number.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, Verizon suggested the last four digits of the phone number but that's not it. Thanks for the suggestion though.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    Yea I dont know what good the password lock is... I had mine set and after a restart not a reset of the phone it will ask for the password, but if I do a reset it wont ask for a password and you can use everything normally.. Major flaw in design.
    This free app. from Dmitry might help with the security flaw you described.

You can get it here:

http://www.palmpowerups.com/modules....p=getit&lid=11
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  5.    #5  
    For the sake of the next frustrated slob with this problem, I will document the solution I found. Googling gave a suggestion that Verizon's Wireless Sync sets a password that can cause issues similar to this to occur. When I went to the security settings for Wireless Sync on my 700p, sure enough there was a password assigned. According to Verizon, the password on the 700p should have been the same one as the one used to access the Wireless Sync web site. However, it wasn't the same on my device and I couldn't figure out what it was in order to delete it. In the end I deleted Wireless Sync and the phone stopped asking for a password at boot time. Life is good.