1.    #1  
    I recently moved to Mac and purchased Missing Sync. I tried syncing for the first time today and it wiped out my phone book and date book. Tried looking at iCal and Address Book and there's nothing there either. Is there any way for me to recover my stuff??
    Don't suppose you backed up your Address Book and iCal databases (from the menu commands within each app) before you installed Missing Sync? If so, you can restore from those backups. Until you get Missing Sync working well, I'd suggest you backup those two apps before EVERY sync, just in case! Of course, if your iCal and Address Book are empty, there is nothing to backup...

So, is there now anything on your Palm, or is that blank too?

Look in the folder /Users/YourName/Library/Application Support/Address Book - are there files called AddressBook.data.previous and AddressBook.data.beforesave? They may have your data in them - Google those file names for recovery instructions.

As for iCal, I'm not so sure what to do. Do you sync with .Mac? That might help.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I backup Address Book, iCal, and my 700p daily as I've had MS screw up my data on more than one occasion.

If you're not in the habbit of backing up already I would HIGHLY recommend you implement a good backup routine. I use RBackup on my Palm and a hand-spun AppleScript to backup Address Book and iCal--if anyone's interested I'd be happy to post it
  4.    #4  
    It was a new Mac so there was nothing in iCal or the AddressBook. The Palm had everything in my life in it. I told MS to synchronize & don't overwrite the handheld. After MS, everything in the handheld disappeared & it ain't in the Mac either.

I do have an earlier backup in the computer I was using before the Mac. It is, however, not updated (I know, it's my fault). I'll probably just revert to that but I'm hoping that MS put my information somewhere and I'm hoping I can salvage that.....

Help!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by spiVeyx View Post
    I backup Address Book, iCal, and my 700p daily as I've had MS screw up my data on more than one occasion.

If you're not in the habbit of backing up already I would HIGHLY recommend you implement a good backup routine. I use RBackup on my Palm and a hand-spun AppleScript to backup Address Book and iCal--if anyone's interested I'd be happy to post it
    Just another data point, same thing has happened to me more than once - MS implementing a "scorched earth" policy on my data (usually the calendar) - but fortunately I have lots of backups (to the SD card every night using BackupBuddy VFS, sporadically within iCal/AddressBook as mentioned above, and a backup of my whole hard drive every few days using SuperDuper). You would think MS would provide more data security...

Anyway I'd be interested in your backup script.
  6.    #6  
    I was able to retrieve most of my information from my old PC and am now ready to try MS again.

Can someone walk me through the exact settings I need in order to sync?? I have a Treo full of stuff I want to download into iCal, Address Book and the Memo app. I just really don't want to go through the thrill(?) of losing all of my information again....and I promised I'd give the PC to someone so I may not be able to salvage my backup if MS wipes it out again....
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    My experience has been that MS doesn't do a very good job of "taking" data from the Treo and importing it into iCal and Address Book. It seems to always use the Mac as the "master" in a "Palm has all the data and the Mac has none of it" situation (which you've already experienced). And unfortunatly, the iCal and AB conduits do not have a "Palm overwrites Desktop" option.

Usually the best thing to do in this situation is to restore your data on the mac using "export" files from your PC. I believe AB and iCal support the CSV formats. You may also want to contact MS's Tech Support and see what they suggest in this situation.

I may be wrong, and MS might import your data correctly if you tried to sync again, but before you do that, I would suggest creating a backup of your Treo using a popular backup program (I use Resco Backup). That way, if your data does get blown away again, you'll be able to restore it.
    IIRC MS does a "computer overrides handheld" sync the first time, then syncs normally after that. I simply couldn't get several conduits to sync until I let it do that, which is of course rather stupid.

My suggestion is this: Go back to your old data, the stuff you just recovered from your old system. If your software on the old system allows it export the addresses as vcards and the calendar as a vcal. move that to your new mac (thumb drive, email) and import each in to Address Book and iCal respectively. Then let MS do its idiocy and you should be good, hopefully with out duplicated contacts.

MS, try as it might, isn't very Mac like in its execution. There is just a little bit too much of an assumption that you are an MIS. Several conduits tied to Address Book/iCal wouldn't work until I physically removed them from the conduits folder. Simply turning them off and telling MS to do nothing didn't solve the problem.
  9.    #9  
    Here's an email I received from MarkSpace customer support:
    The best way to solve this issue, is with a reset of the sync history, your computer will think as if it was the first sync. It is going to be a bit slower, so better use the USB connection. Also this imply that you will be overwriting your handheld's data with the desktop's data.
    Are you okay with this?

Or do you have irreplaceable or valuable information on your handheld not present on your desktop? If you please advise me and I give you other instructions.

Do some backups first by following those simple steps, do this on a regular basis.
    1. Go to Address Book, click on 'File' menu and choose 'Back up Address Book'. Go to iCal, click on 'File' menu and choose 'Back up database'.
    2. Go to Missing Sync and double click on the Backup Conduit and set it to backup all databases. Then run the sync with just that Backup conduit selected, disable all other conduits.
    3. Go to: /Users/<user name>/Documents/Palm/Users/<hotsync name>/ now hold the 'ctrl' key and click on the /Backups/ folder. Choose the option to 'Create Archive of "Backups"'. This is to safeguard your backed up data in case anything goes wrong.

Now 'Reset Sync History' using the iSync preferences option. The first sync will likely be slower.
    1) Launch iSync. (your device does not need to be listed in the application).
    2) Click on the iSync menu (do not use any other menus unless instructed to).
    3) Choose Preferences (make sure the "Enable syncing on this computer" is checked).
    4) Click the 'Reset Sync History' button. Read and follow the onscreen directions.
    5) This may launch iCal. Also the status of the reset is showing in the iSync display. When the reset is complete quit both iSync and iCal.

Launch Missing Sync and enable the Mark/Space Contacts, Events and Tasks conduits and set them to Desktop overwrite Handheld. Disable all other conduits.

For optimum results, we recommend that you reboot your computer before doing the sync.

Then sync, when you do, you will get a dialog box with an orange iSync icon** on it with this message on it : "Mark/Space Contacts would like to sync Contacts with Address Book and other applications” - CHECK the box to “Delete all contacts from Mark/Space contacts before syncing?", then click the 'Allow' button. It will overwrite your device. You will get one for events, one for tasks, and one for contacts. The next time you sync .mac or other devices that sync with iSync like an iPod, you will get these same dialog boxes for their databases and you should check the box and click 'Allow' in those cases as well.

**If you don't get this warning window, advise me it means that the reset of the sync history didn't work as planed. I'll give you something stronger to fix it.

If you press the don't allow button you will need to reboot your computer.
    I followed everything but when I got to syncing, my Treo would reboot. Tried it several times and each time it would reboot. I've asked customer support about this but would like to ask the folks here if they had any idea on what's going on??
    I know that I had problems until I removed the Palm conduits from the conduits folder. I might suggest stripping down the conduits down to the minimum. If you need the conduits later you can always put them back.

If your treo is still resetting after you do that then it is beyond me.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I use RBackup on my Palm and a hand-spun AppleScript to backup Address Book and iCal--if anyone's interested I'd be happy to post it
    That'd be great! I've been trying to find a stable Applescript out there I can't seem to find one. I still can't believe that Apple doesn't provide Automator actions that do this.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I'll post my script soon--got to clean it up and make it a bit more user friendly
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I'll post my script soon--got to clean it up and make it a bit more user friendly
    Thanks!