Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Review of GSM-communicator Palm Treo 680

On the battery life

The communicator makes use of a removable Li-Ion battery, whose capacity has been shrunk to 1200 mAh, so that lifetime, which was one of the Treo 650’s main trumps, is nothing but disappointment in the Treo 680. Five-six days of operation are non-existent at all – on 30-40 minutes of calls and up to 1 hours of other functions use, the communicator puts up pretty much standard 1,5-2 days of work.
    Regardless of the tests we will be carrying out with an off-the-shelves unit later on, the Treo 680 has not managed to live up to the bar of long-lasting Treo devices. And while there is still some room for tuning of software, the battery’s capacity will remain 1200 mAh no matter how hard you try to squeeze more of it.
    I mean we expected a shorter battery life but sheeesh, it sounds bad.

Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Review of GSM-communicator Palm Treo 680

On the battery life

I mean we expected a shorter battery life but sheeesh, it sounds bad.

I'd say it should still last 2 days of moderate use. I read somewhere that the newer radio module is more efficient. I don't remember where I read it though.

However nothings stopping us from popping in an extended battery.
    -----------------
    http://kunjan.net
    Quote Originally Posted by kunjan View Post
    I'd say it should still last 2 days of moderate use. I read somewhere that the newer radio module is more efficient. I don't remember where I read it though.

However nothings stopping us from popping in an extended battery.
    Seidio is working on the extended batteries for Treo 680 and 750V.

Seidio
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Seidio is working on the extended batteries for Treo 680 and 750V.

Seidio
    That is good to know. I have 2 questions for you.

1. How much more capacity will you be able to squeeze into the form factor of the 680 battery space?

2. Have you thought about a paired larger battery and 3rd party case back which would allow a larger (physical size) battery in the 680?
  5.    #5  
    I would be happy with a cradle which can charge a spare standard battery - like the Dell Axim cradles...
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    This was one of the biggest reasons why I stopped waiting for the 680 and picked up 700p. Right now, with my usage patters, my battery only lasts a day, maybe a day in a half if I'm lucky, and I really don't like keeping my Treo on the charger all the time.

So, since I had already have invested in two hight capacity for my 650, I decided to switch to Sprint and get the 700p.

But it's good to hear that somebody is working on a longer lasting battery, as this might be my wife's next phone
    I use my extended 650 battery as a backup on my 750. existing battery generally isn't good enough for a full days work (i use Goodlink) and I have to charge it during the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    That is good to know. I have 2 questions for you.

1. How much more capacity will you be able to squeeze into the form factor of the 680 battery space?

2. Have you thought about a paired larger battery and 3rd party case back which would allow a larger (physical size) battery in the 680?
    Hi jaytee,

1. I would guess that we will be able to offer about the same enhancement percentage as we did with the 650 and our 2400mAh battery (give or take).
    2. Yup. We're already very close to releasing a REALLY extended battery for your Treo that will ship with a replacement battery cover developed and manufactured by Seidio as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by seidio1 View Post
    Hi jaytee,

1. I would guess that we will be able to offer about the same enhancement percentage as we did with the 650 and our 2400mAh battery (give or take).
    2. Yup. We're already very close to releasing a REALLY extended battery for your Treo that will ship with a replacement battery cover developed and manufactured by Seidio as well.
    Great minds think alike ;-)

That solves the lingering worries I had over 680 battery performance. Now if Palm/Cingular would release the product...
    I have had this phone for three days.. it needs to be charged by mid day and I am not a power user. An hour of calls, a six email cks, a dozen text messages and "oh look the battery is at half mast". Can not wait for Seidio's battery
    Quote Originally Posted by seidio1 View Post
    Hi jaytee,

cover ? So will it add more thickness or will it be original size to the 680 battery now?>
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    I would be happy with a cradle which can charge a spare standard battery - like the Dell Axim cradles...
    The new 680 cradle on Palm's site does just that. It charges your Treo and a spare battery at the same time. And they've got a bundle right now which includes the spare battery and the cable for $30 less than the two pieces on their own.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    It's hard to tell but I think the 680 cradle is that exact same one used for the 650, 700p, and 700w/wx. I've been using a cradle from the 650 with the 750v and the 680. The 680/750v battery fits fine in the battery part, there's just extra room not used. I very much doubt they made a whole new cradle just for the 680.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjoec View Post
    The new 680 cradle on Palm's site does just that. It charges your Treo and a spare battery at the same time. And they've got a bundle right now which includes the spare battery and the cable for $30 less than the two pieces on their own.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I got my new 680 last Wednesday.

I am an Advanced user (but not a power user) and I would usually make it 2 days with my 650 battery.

After a couple of days, I can already notice a marked difference in battery performance. Under the same use conditions, I only have about 20-25% of the battery life left after one day.

Where I would usually charge my 650 every other day, I have been charging my 680 every night.
    Woo hoo... so we can DEFINITELY expect a an extended battery... GREAT!!

Tho, what do they mean about the battery cover... hmmmm
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    I got my phone on Black Friday, so I have had it for four days. I do not believe I used the phone for more than 45 - 60 minutes on any given day, did not access the Internet or email (I am still waiting for my IT guys to configure it for email), and the battery life, as far as I am concerned, is unacceptable. By midday Saturday, after charging the device overnight, I was down to 20%, and that was after less than 45 minutes of talk time and just working with my contacts. I encountered the same problem on Sunday, after an overnight charge. Sunday, however, with my battery at approx. 20%, I used the Internet, and within five minutes was getting the low-battery warning. Today I only used the phone for approx. 15 minutes, did NOTHING else, and the battery is at 68%. At this rate, I will get just about 45 minutes of talk time before having to recharge.

How does Palm get away with what I consider is them having released a product that is not practical? Don't get me wrong, the device is sharp, and has everything I was looking for in a smart phone, but having to charge the battery after only 45 minutes of talk time is unacceptable.

I would love for my battery to be at "half mast" (as palmdoc2005 put it) after an hour of calls and checking email a couple of times, but that seems highly unlikely. What are these Seidio batteries? Do they invalidate the Palm warranty? If an extended life battery were to be released by Seidio or Palm or any other company, I would expect it to be the same size as the battery that came with the device. I do not want a more bulky Treo in my inside jacket pocket. It is just sleek enough now that I can get away with having it in my jacket. Why should I have to settle for a bulkier battery to be able to get through a day without having to recharge the device? Do other smart phones have the same issues with their batteries?
    You have a defective phone, battery, or charger. Obviously. If you're using it for 45 minutes and basically nothing else, something is wrong.
    got my 680 on Black Friday at a Cingular store, and it was activated right away. my first Treo :-D

So I just finished day 4 and I gotta say the battery life is not so great...i've already resigned myself to bringing my charger to work so I can charge it on a daily basis if necessary (at the current rate of moderate usage--mostly fiddling around and 5-8 calls per day, it appears that I'll need to charge it at least every other day or more frequently).

Does anyone know if the 750 is supposed to be better in this regard?
    This is interesting. I never did invest in an extended battery for my 650 but I'm getting the impression it will be a must-have with the 680. As it is, I tend to use my 650 mostly for data (email, IM), PIM, and occasionally (less then 15 mins a day, avg) for voice. I get a LOT of email, and I have several mailboxes (IMAP and Exchange) that I use with push (ChatterEmail). With just that, I pretty much have to charge it every day... and with heavier data use I will put it on the charger during the day.

One thing to point out, too, is that low signal strength increases battery use as well. Mine tends to vary in my most-frequented locations, but is usu 3-4 bars. At home it drops downward to 1-3 bars. So... it isn't *just* a question on what tasks one performs, but other factors as well.
    I use mine for moderate calling, lots of SMS and I have Mail synching my Exchange email every 30 minutes from M-F. I also manually synch a few times every day. I ont use Bluetooth and I am generally in four bars of coverage. I get several days out of my battery. I suspect the most draw from my battery is about 90 minutes of playing MP3s while commuting. I dont yet have an adapter from my car stereo so I play it thru the stereo headset.

I notice the USB cable to my PC is charging the device when I have it connected. I won't bother bringing my charger when I travel with my PC.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast