Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    for best battery life try these practices -

keep bluetooth off if not using it,
    keep screen brightness down if not in dim lit areas
    keep ir beam on off.

That should get you about 15-20% more battery life.

The only TREO VIDEO CAST on the internet!!!
    I don't really care how big Seidio's extended battery is, if it's bigger than the factory 1200mAH I'm buying it. If they're offering two styles (from what I've been reading one that fits within the Treo itself and an even larger one with a new battery cover), I'm buying both.

The way I use my 680 I have to charge it twice to make it through one day. Granted, I have my screen at full max brightness and my BT on all the time because most of my conference calls are more convient with my H700 BT headset since I'm on the phone nearly hours at a time. I still love the 680 though, I've owned quite a few phones in the past (Nokia E62, Qtek S200, Qtek 9100, O2 Exec, Treo 650, Cingular 8125, HP HW6515 just to name a few ) and even though this phone has the worse battery life of all of them, it's my favorite phone; not because of the OS but because of the awesome form factor.
    I cannot BELIEVE Palm didn't beta test the unit before releasing it. Pathetic.

I have one on order and I'm seriously considering cancelling the order.

Someone tell me why I shouldn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pighood View Post

Why in the world would you think that this was not beta tested because the battery does not last as long as past units? With the design change, there were bound to be some trade offs. I will tell you why you should not cancel, and you will have to decide for yourself.

First of all, I am a power business user who relies on my treo for business and personal email, viewing and editing all kinds of documents, files, internet, itranet, and I also use it for music and games. Right now, I see the positives (versus my previous 650) as:

- Unbelievably more stable (Zero resets after 11 days!!)
    - Better Reception
    - Blazer 3 times faster and much more stable with caching behavior that is almost instantanious
    - Better Form factor
    - More Memory
    - Improved Versamail

The negatives, for my daily use are:
    After letting the battery settle in, I am getting between 1/2 and 2/3 the life of my 650 batteries out of my 680 battery. This is what I consider to be a trade off for the positives which I listed above. For this trade off I have purchased a spare battery, and I will purchase the extended battery when Sedio comes out with one.

I liked the favorites application on the 650 better, but I am getting used to the 680, because I have comitted to it as my new device. after owning many, many Palm devices, I would have to say that the 680, IMHO, has been well thought out, and looks to have been thouroughly tested.
    Last edited by MattM2G; 12/03/2006 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Spelling (as usual)
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    I agree, I love this phone! I've had a lot of phones in the past (E62, Moto V3i, multiple Sony-Ericssons) and it's by far the best. The form factor, the ease of use, the sound quality....as an overall package, it's fantastic.

I'll be holding onto this one for awhile
    Quote Originally Posted by Pighood View Post

Seriously, what makes you think that it wasn't beta tested? This phone, just like any Palm is supposed to be charged at the end of each day. I'm seeing about 40 to 45% of the battery left at the end of a full day of light to moderate usage. I'm sure that Palm took that tradeoff considering that people wanted to have a smaller, thinner, antenna-less phone.
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
    Without knowing of the battery issue (just found out about it....and this forum...a few hours ago), I ordered a spare battery, the car charger and the cradle kit. Perhaps I'm a clairvoyant panic merchant.

What alerted me was the announcement on Palm 24/7 (www.clieuk.co.uk/index.shtml). That prompted a great big juicy wet "ozhit" from yours truly.

I've owned a T3 since the Norman Conquest, and carry an original Razr, which I've dropped successfully onto concrete without bruising anything more than my ego, and it's RICH CORINTHIAN PLASTIC COATING.

Perhaps my expectations are too high. After all, I keep my T3 seated in its cradle overnight as a matter of habit, and I don't see breaking that habit with the 680. Especially now that I know.

Having said that, I've already bookmarked the Seidio page and plan to snazzitch up the battery wot is the same size as the factory model, in that I went to the effort of also ordering a pimpeaux Piel Frama leather case already. I hope it's stretchy leather if I need to get the Seidimodo bulki battery.

OK, now I got that out of my system....what software can I use to make entering those funky characters I could get on my T3's virtual graffiti's pop-up keyboard?
    Last edited by Pighood; 12/03/2006 at 01:06 AM.
    Funky characters? Press Alt after typing a character to see all of the other characters available from that key. And if you want a list see menu item keyboard help in many programs.
    Last edited by johncc; 12/03/2006 at 01:22 AM.
    I like seeing ALL the characters in one go...not one letter at a time.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    No. If it fits the 700 it won't fit the 680. The only battery that also will fit is one from the 750
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post
    Why in the world would you think that this was not beta tested because the battery does not last as long as past units? With the design change, there were bound to be some trade offs. I will tell you why you should not cancel, and you will have to decide for yourself.

First of all, I am a power business user who relies on my treo for business and personal email, viewing and editing all kinds of documents, files, internet, itranet, and I also use it for music and games. Right now, I see the positives (versus my previous 650) as:

- Unbelievably more stable (Zero resets after 11 days!!)
    - Better Reception
    - Blazer 3 times faster and much more stable with caching behavior that is almost instantanious
    - Better Form factor
    - More Memory
    - Improved Versamail

The negatives, for my daily use are:
    After letting the battery settle in, I am getting between 1/2 and 2/3 the life of my 650 batteries out of my 680 battery. This is what I consider to be a trade off for the positives which I listed above. For this trade off I have purchased a spare battery, and I will purchase the extended battery when Sedio comes out with one.

I liked the favorites application on the 650 better, but I am getting used to the 680, because I have comitted to it as my new device. after owning many, many Palm devices, I would have to say that the 680, IMHO, has been well thought out, and looks to have been thouroughly tested.
    WELL SAID! i agree with all what you say. Let's hope the official palm extended 680 battery comes out asap.
  13. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Has anyone checked to see if 750 owners are having similar problems?
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    Has anyone checked to see if 750 owners are having similar problems?
    Yes you will threads in the 750v forum. That is where Seido's planned new battery was first found.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jwarn3rd View Post
    for best battery life try these practices -

keep bluetooth off if not using it,
    keep screen brightness down if not in dim lit areas
    keep ir beam on off.

That should get you about 15-20% more battery life.

Thanks for the heads up, another great tip from a TC poster!!
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    I can't believe that no one has mentioned trying FullPower yet.
    doesnt say if that supports treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by magician View Post
    ... Let's hope the official palm extended 680 battery comes out asap.
    What "official Palm" extended battery? I don't believe Palm has ever offered an extended battery for any Treo. It has always been third-party producers who made them. I think you'll be waiting a long time for Palm to offer that--and, of course, having done what they've already done, would you really want one from them?
    Left work at 5:18 last night with battery 100% charged. IR and Bluetooth both off. 11:20 took the phone out of my pocket, 5 bars, and 8% battery remaining! The 680 is wonderful, the battery is abysmal.

Dunc
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    What "official Palm" extended battery? I don't believe Palm has ever offered an extended battery for any Treo. It has always been third-party producers who made them. I think you'll be waiting a long time for Palm to offer that--and, of course, having done what they've already done, would you really want one from them?
    Your right about that. Never an official Palm battery only 3rd party and best to beleive as soon as we get them I will let everyone know. I just got my 680 yesterday and the phone itself is awesome but I didn't really realize how bad the battery was until I was talking to my frined for an hour and actually had to put it on the charger. One hour couldn't believe it.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast