Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You're right.
    At first I thought it was the increased usage; tinkering and setting up a new phone, but after reading this thread I have to agree that the battery is the weakest part (so far) of the 680.

I was about to bypass the 680 and go for a Blackjack but was concerned about the battery life. Didn't expect to have a similar problem with the Treo.

I hope Seidio doesn't put thier new batteries on the website until they have 110% stock. I like the 680 and agree with another poster that it's not just a cosmetic upgrade. The phone is more stable and the processing downloads is noticeably faster.

Hopefully with the extended battery from Seidio, the rotten feeling in my stomach will go away.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Anybody able to give a ballmark time say if you turned the phone function off and just used it as a PDA? (defeats the point of a convergence device but still).
    Quote Originally Posted by Stublue View Post
    Anybody able to give a ballmark time say if you turned the phone function off and just used it as a PDA? (defeats the point of a convergence device but still).
    I'm upgrading from a Treo 90, getting a cheap T-Mobile prepaid phone for the sim card, and using it primarily as PDA with the radio off except when my wife and I might have a reason to call each other. I'm interested in the PDA-only battery life also.
    Ok.... dimmed the brightness a bit, shortened the shut off to a minute, and dims the screen when on a call to 30 seconds....

I'll see if that helps any.... and wait patiently for Seidio.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I bought a second battery and the palm cradle kit and problem solved. the battery last almost the whole day for me. I am a heavy internet user, talk a lot on the phone, and use bluetooth. I set the screen to turn off after 15 seconds and 30 seconds while on a call. I also keep the brightness to just under half.
    The 680 feels great compared to the 650 but the battery life is approx. half of what I get from my 650. It's a real dissapointment but a trade-off that's worth it if you favour the smaller form factor. Also, having less chrome around the keys stops all the finger/thumb marks that make the 650 look dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Ok.... dimmed the brightness a bit, shortened the shut off to a minute, and dims the screen when on a call to 30 seconds....

I'll see if that helps any.... and wait patiently for Seidio.
    Yes, we are working on the battery that will double the capacity of the 680 stock battery. It will come soon. we will also have the extended battery for Treo 750.

Seidio
    Quote Originally Posted by seidioseidio View Post
    Yes, we are working on the battery that will double the capacity of the 680 stock battery. It will come soon. we will also have the extended battery for Treo 750.

Seidio
    Double in the same size as original battery or will it require a new back?
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS

and will it add back weight?
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    I am not buying if it is bigger than the original. It defeats the purpose of going to the 680. One of the main things for me was form factor. If they can put batteries in power toothbrushes that last 2 weeks they can make an extended battery that will fit the orginal casing.
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shucks View Post
    I am not buying if it is bigger than the original. It defeats the purpose of going to the 680. One of the main things for me was form factor. If they can put batteries in power toothbrushes that last 2 weeks they can make an extended battery that will fit the orginal casing.
    yeah... but i use my treo more than two minutes in the morning and two minutes before bed.

Seidio
    HURRY - PLEASE HURRY! I'll pay now if I'm the first inline to get one shipped!
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson

Seidio
    I'll be glad to see it. Can you let us know if the extended battery fit inside the existing form factor? I don't mind added wieght but if it creates a hump back, increasing the thickness, I could see the lack of appeal.

I would have rather kept the original form factor of the 650, loose the antenna, move the SD slot, and KEEP the larger battery. PALM are you listening????
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

Seidio
    If this is the one with the new back, PLEASE consider adding a "disconnect the battery" switch and hole in the new back to push a stylus through to activate it. The Seidio extendeded battery with RESET HOLE! YES!!! All hail Seidio
    Quote Originally Posted by dessa View Post
    If this is the one with the new back, PLEASE consider adding a "disconnect the battery" switch and hole in the new back to push a stylus through to activate it. The Seidio extendeded battery with RESET HOLE! YES!!! All hail Seidio
    Ohhh...neat idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    I would have rather kept the original form factor of the 650, loose the antenna, move the SD slot, and KEEP the larger battery. PALM are you listening????
    Well, let's be fair. If you've seen inside a 650 then you know there is no dead space in there. If anything in the design moves, changes size, etc then lots of other bits need to be adjusted to accomodate it. So it didn't strike me as odd that things like the SD and SIM slots had to move. It did surprise me a little that the battery got as much smaller as it did -- especially considering that this form factor came out first on a 3G device, with assumed greater power requirements... imagine how fast a 750 must burn batteries! -- but that they had to make trade-offs to achieve the design goals doesn't surprise me one iota. Maybe each of us would weight certain design impacts as being more critical than others, but Palm's challenge is to weigh all those factors and still wind up with something we'll all buy.

This discussion keeps reminding me of the WiFi debates. "We need it", "It burns battery faster". I've read excellent arguments on both sides. But what it comes down to is that depending on a user's environment (signal, availability of networks) and usage (heavy data user, heavy voice user, what this thing has an on button?) these factors will all carry different levels of importance. My take is that WiFi is often available where I am and I /would/ use it if I could, but using EDGE is certainly not a deal breaker... in fact, I could care less about 3G until carriers stop raping people's wallets to use it.

Anyway... for now I think I'll be perfectly happy to live with two batteries like i do with my 650. Although I did not get an extended battery this time, I probably will invest in it for the 680 -- I'm still one of those unwashed masses waiting for Graphite unlocked. Seido... hurry up and have it ready by the time Palm's supply chain takes a laxative and starts dumping graphite 680's on the market...
    Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    yeah... but i use my treo more than two minutes in the morning and two minutes before bed.
    True. You must have nice teeth. I guess power users are going to have to carry around two batteries. Somebody is going to have to make a case/holster w/ a spot for an extra batter..

Hold on! Paten Pending!!
    "Actions speak louder than words!"

REX >Palm III > Palm IIIc > Palm V> Palm m505 >Kyo 7135> Treo 650> ARTIC Treo 680> and finally to the Centro!!!
    I think the real problem with battery life on the 680 is standby time. I typically have 3 bars signal strength in my house and I am getting less than 20 hours standby (extrapolation based on drain overnight according to the meter). That was with bluetooth and IR turned off and no auto-syncs of email. I don't know how in the heck Palm came up with up to 300 hours. But from my experience, that spec is misleading.

On the other hand the 4 hours talk time spec seems reasonably accurate. I was on an hour-long call yesterday, and battery dropped approx 20%.

But with less than 20 hours standby, I don't think this will be practical for me.

G
    I, too, was hoping Seidio would produce a higher capacity 680 battery within the existing form factor. I'm buying a Crimson and I certainly don't want a new humpback graphite-coloured battery cover to have to go on it. Yuch.

If you get at least 1600 mAH into the existing form factor, you'll have my credit card number on day one.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast