Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargeofny View Post
    How does Palm get away with what I consider is them having released a product that is not practical? Don't get me wrong, the device is sharp, and has everything I was looking for in a smart phone, but having to charge the battery after only 45 minutes of talk time is unacceptable.
    I think this says it for me too. I'm considering an upgrade, but it won't be this one - at least not without a practical replacement battery. By that, I mean, the whole point of the 680 is a smaller form factor. But if the replacement battery makes it fat again, what's the point?

The very reason I own a Treo is because of all the things it can do for me. I use it extensively, as I think most treonauts do, so battery life is much more important than thickness.

I think this phone may appeal to less techno-savy users. For example, I'm the geek in my family. After owning a Treo for a year, I got one for my wife, who is a decent technology user, but not really a geek. So she uses it mostly as a phone and occasionally uses a feature (I installed for her) that she's seen me use. The key word here is 'occasionally'.

I think this phone is more of a fashion statement than a technology upgrade.

Jim
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    This is interesting. I never did invest in an extended battery for my 650 but I'm getting the impression it will be a must-have with the 680. As it is, I tend to use my 650 mostly for data (email, IM), PIM, and occasionally (less then 15 mins a day, avg) for voice. I get a LOT of email, and I have several mailboxes (IMAP and Exchange) that I use with push (ChatterEmail). With just that, I pretty much have to charge it every day... and with heavier data use I will put it on the charger during the day.

One thing to point out, too, is that low signal strength increases battery use as well. Mine tends to vary in my most-frequented locations, but is usu 3-4 bars. At home it drops downward to 1-3 bars. So... it isn't *just* a question on what tasks one performs, but other factors as well.
    Your usage and mine are very similar. I have reduced my "voice" plan a number of times over the years since having Treos (my first was a 280 that I had on T-Mobile GPRS before there technically was GPRS on the Treo <g>), but if you take away my unlimited data I'd be lost. I have to charge my 650 daily, and actually, when I'm in the office/in the car, I always just keep it plugged in. My guess is that these habits will be required for the 680 as well, and hopefully we'll all survive!

Danita
    Sounds like Siedios battery is in high demand. I'm sur ethey won't let us down. I can live a few months with a lesser battery.
    I disagree with the 680 being more of a fashion statment. I think Palm was trying to keep us all happy, by adding more memory and stablizing the OS. If they really wanted to make a fashion statment they would have release a D&G Treo :P
    I posted this at BH, but it should go here as well to help folks get a visual of the "what the heck is the battery life so bad for" comments:

A few things:
    The battery took me about a week to break in. After that I have been getting about 2/3 to 3/4 of what I was getting with my 650. Mind you, my normal use is syncing 8 versamail accounts every hour, listening to 2hrs of music, and anywhere from 10min to 3hrs of phone calls (somewhere in the area of 10-25 sms too). With the 680, I have had to scale back the hourly checking of email to business hours (8-6) but other than that, it makes it (barely) thru the day(at 25-30% when I get home compared to 40-45% for the 650).

The battery is smaller than that of the 650. Despite any advances in programming or CF radio, nothing can take away from the fact that the same processor is driving a smaller battery. To expect the same usage, or even near similar is not realistic unfortunately (despite the marketing, its just not possible lest there was a more efficient processor used).

Is it a Palm issue? Yes and no. That was the trade off in making a thinner device. Sure, they could have used a different (read: newer) processor, but I don't think that they would have hit their price point in doing so. I do think that a ROM update will fix that to some degree, but that is not at all a guarantee or "secret information" from me. It is just a guess as per what has happened in previous ROM updates in terms of fixes/performance.

If you use the 680 exactly like you use the 650, you will need an extra battery. Wait a while and Seido is supposed to be bringing out an extended battery (with s different case cover) that should help most folks.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Does a 650's battery actually fit in a 680? The form factor of the battery I think is the same, it's just the thicknessis different, right? Will the cover actually close w/ a 650 battery?
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    Everyone agrees the 650 battery, although arguably a fit, will not allow you to put the back on the phone. Seido is offering two extended batteries, as I understand it: one that will give extended life and will fit within the existing case, another super extended that will protrude and requires a new back that they supply with the battery. It'll be your choice, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrios View Post
    Does a 650's battery actually fit in a 680? The form factor of the battery I think is the same, it's just the thicknessis different, right? Will the cover actually close w/ a 650 battery?
    no, its too thick for the 680
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    Quote Originally Posted by Antoine of MMM View Post
    I posted this at BH, but it should go here as well to help folks get a visual of the "what the heck is the battery life so bad for" comments:

A few things:
    The battery took me about a week to break in. After that I have been getting about 2/3 to 3/4 of what I was getting with my 650. Mind you, my normal use is syncing 8 versamail accounts every hour, listening to 2hrs of music, and anywhere from 10min to 3hrs of phone calls (somewhere in the area of 10-25 sms too). With the 680, I have had to scale back the hourly checking of email to business hours (8-6) but other than that, it makes it (barely) thru the day(at 25-30% when I get home compared to 40-45% for the 650).

The battery is smaller than that of the 650. Despite any advances in programming or CF radio, nothing can take away from the fact that the same processor is driving a smaller battery. To expect the same usage, or even near similar is not realistic unfortunately (despite the marketing, its just not possible lest there was a more efficient processor used).

Is it a Palm issue? Yes and no. That was the trade off in making a thinner device. Sure, they could have used a different (read: newer) processor, but I don't think that they would have hit their price point in doing so. I do think that a ROM update will fix that to some degree, but that is not at all a guarantee or "secret information" from me. It is just a guess as per what has happened in previous ROM updates in terms of fixes/performance.

If you use the 680 exactly like you use the 650, you will need an extra battery. Wait a while and Seido is supposed to be bringing out an extended battery (with s different case cover) that should help most folks.
    Antoine, I believe you should consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Your device/battery appear to be an anomoly.

I cannot imagine the 680 battery getting me through the day. For starters, I have checked the battery immediately after taking it off the charger each of the past two mornings (it charged overnight). Yesterday morning, with the green light on the battery was at 96% - I began charging at midnight or so - and looked at it around 7 AM. This morning, after charging it from 10:30 PM, the battery was at 93% - at 7:30 AM. Bluetooth is turned off; the phone is off; nothing, to my knowledge is on, yet the battery sitting idle loses charge. I spoke with Treo, and they admit that the battery life is not as good but do not know why. I asked them if they ever reviewed the feedback during their own testing, and suggested that if they did not that they consider hiring independent testers when they are prepared to release a new device.

Unless Seidio's super-extended life battery fits into the existing case, I see no need to get their battery; I will get a new device - likely not a Treo. I also suggested they look info their firmware and issue an upgrade ASAP. I am assuming that is what Antoine is referring to as ROM updates.

Today, so far, I have had nine phone calls fro a total use of approximately 14-15 minutes, and have done nothing else. The battery is at 70% (at 2:30 PM), down from 93% at 7:30 AM. One last note, I had the device turned off for two hours, so it has only been on for a total of 5 hours. So my scorecard is: device on for 5 hrs, 9 ph calls for 15 minutes, nothing else = battery life of 70%. That is just pitiful performance by any standards!
    Well, I've been using my 680 for two days now, which has been through two charge cycles since. So far, I'm somewhat underwhelmed by battery life. Travelled to Bath today (about 100 miles from London), and back, made a few quick calls on the way and while I was there. Sent 3 messages. Played about 20 minutes of Bejeweled. Basically, a moderate day in terms of phone usage. Unplugged the phone from the charger at 8AM this morning, it's 8:21PM now and the battery's down to 43%. I was expecting slightly more, especially considering I'm upgrading from the Motorola SLVR, which was reputed for it's notoriously short battery life.

Hopefully the lifespan of the battery will improve as I "break into" it further. I vividly remember the battery life of my SLVR improving a fair bit after about a week of use, so fingers crossed the same will apply to the 680.
    Has anyone used a battery app to actually look at the volts? Perhaps the 680 has a poor meter. Perhaps something like FullPower could improve battery usage.
    Last edited by Convert; 11/29/2006 at 02:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargeofny View Post
    Antoine, I believe you should consider yourself one of the lucky ones. Your device/battery appear to be an anomoly.

..snip..

This morning, after charging it from 10:30 PM, the battery was at 93% - at 7:30 AM. Bluetooth is turned off; the phone is off; nothing, to my knowledge is on, yet the battery sitting idle loses charge.

..snip..

Today, so far, I have had nine phone calls fro a total use of approximately 14-15 minutes, and have done nothing else. The battery is at 70% (at 2:30 PM), down from 93% at 7:30 AM. One last note, I had the device turned off for two hours, so it has only been on for a total of 5 hours. So my scorecard is: device on for 5 hrs, 9 ph calls for 15 minutes, nothing else = battery life of 70%. That is just pitiful performance by any standards!
    Except it's a palm device so it's never really 'off'. When you turn off the screen and the phone, the processor is still running and alarms will still go off. So, you had the radio off for 2 hours, not the device.

Still, the battery life should be expected to be somewhere around 2/3 what is seen with the stock 650 battery (1200 mAh vs. 1800 mAh) and 1/2 what is seen with the Seidio extended battery (1200 mAh vs. 2400 mAh).

Also, your treo _should_ charge back up to 100% (or maybe 99%) overnight. If it's not doing that, the charging circuit probably needs resetting. I don't know if the method of accomplishing that has been mentioned. (I don't know for the 680)
    this is starting to worry me to the point of potentially cancelling my order (still in order received mode!).....in all actuality, the battery life of my Treo 700w or 700wx was never sufficient for me due to the type of email communication i receive (over 3,500 messages per day, easily). if i were to take the device off of the charger at 430am the battery would be just about done well before mid-day. definately sub-optimal. if what i am hearing about the 680 is true i might as well just forget trying to use this for traveling purposes.

makes me like my Blackberry Pearl all that much more but perhaps i'll at least give it a shot.

your're probably saying "get the extended battery." well, that might work, but in truth, it's going to add back weight that i definately don't want.

regards
    Quote Originally Posted by oalvarez View Post
    this is starting to worry me to the point of potentially cancelling my order (still in order received mode!).....in all actuality, the battery life of my Treo 700w or 700wx was never sufficient for me due to the type of email communication i receive (over 3,500 messages per day, easily).
    One solution is to fix your e-mail problem. 3,500 is ridiculous. You need to fix your filters or spam or disable stuff you're not reading. 3,500 e-mails is more than one email every 20 seconds during 18 waking hours. It's not possible you're reading it all or something else is wrong.
    ok. the 650 battery is too thick to fit the cover over it, but what are we talking about, 1/16 1/8 #mm what? what exactly is difference in thickness between a 680 battery and a std 650 battery? can some one who has both measure and post the findings? please....
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    The 650 battery is double the thickness of the 680 battery. Try to image your device with two batteries stacked in there. Not a pretty sight.

Quote Originally Posted by abarrios View Post
    ok. the 650 battery is too thick to fit the cover over it, but what are we talking about, 1/16 1/8 #mm what? what exactly is difference in thickness between a 680 battery and a std 650 battery? can some one who has both measure and post the findings? please....
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    As long as I get through a day at a time, I don't care. My 650 charges on my nightstand every night as it is my alarm clock as well.
    The seideo guy(s) said they were working on both an extended capacity battery of the same dimensions as the original 680 battery. They were hoping to get the same sort of increased battery capacity as they got for the 650 extended (1800-2400=30% increase). That would put the normal dimension extended battery at about (1.3*1200=) 1560 mAh.

They were also said to be working on a 'super extended' battery with larger dimensions than the stock 680 battery that would necessitate a custom back plate. No idea what it's capacity would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by cccomputing View Post
    One solution is to fix your e-mail problem. 3,500 is ridiculous. You need to fix your filters or spam or disable stuff you're not reading. 3,500 e-mails is more than one email every 20 seconds during 18 waking hours. It's not possible you're reading it all or something else is wrong.

no, actually not. tis the nature of the finance/wall st. world......why blackberries prevail in the industry.

timely, accurate, and whole information is key. the blackberry pearl doesn't have a problem with such, lets see if the 680 will.

regards
    oalvarez is right. At 3500 emails a day for 18 hours a day (giving you 6 hours to sleep each night and, of course, no meals AT ALL), you'd be reading those emails every 20 seconds and not doing a damn thing about them--you'd have no time to even nod to another individual, let alone deciding how to buy low and sell high (my preferred mode of dealing with the problems of the "finance/wall st. world"). Great way to lose weight, however. Rich and Skinny (well, skinnier and skinner by the day....). Not bad.
    mdavis, with all due respect, you have no faking clue what you are speaking of. it is what it is, especially on the buyside. you can filter and rule-wizard all you want, but in the end, if you want all of your bloomberg/inter-office communication received that is the result.

i'm so sorry if my 3500 emails a day offends you so. maybe these are the limitations to your life and that is why you take such offense.

i've wasted enough time on you
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast