1.    #1  
    Last week, while on a themepark ride I got my Verizon 700p soaking wet. I had the Treo in a neoprene case, closed lid and under a t-shirt BUT got dumped on with a virtual bathtub of water which must have filled the little case with fresh water. To make matters worse, I had the SD card out and in a camera so the slot was WIDE open.

After getting off the ride I quickly noted that the Treo was DEAD. No water impregnation of the screen though. I took out the battery. When I tried the phone later in the day I got nothing - no life whatsoever. Then, two days later the screen lit in an eight box pattern of red, green,blue and white with the numbers 0.13 at the top of the screen. But nothing more than that - trying a reset had no effect.

I put the Treo aside for four days. This morning, for kicks and giggles I popped the battery in and it booted correctly - normally - and all the information on the Treo was just as I left it before my ill-fated ride - everything about the phone was seemingly working fine. In order to reactivate the phone (I had switched over to another old cellphone) it was necessary to remove the battery again to access the serial number. When I replaced the battery it returned to the previous state - with the eight box color pattern and the number 0.13 at the top of the screen. A major step backwards.

One thing I did note was that if I reinserted the battery with an SD card in the slot the screen will go from the color test pattern to a white screen that says - in little red letters "Update ROM Image? Yes = <UP> No = any other button". If I select the Up button I get the message "Checking SD Card" followed quickly by "No ROM Image found on SD Card".

SO - does anyone have any suggestions on what to do next? I'd like to salvage the phone but - at the same time - I can't screw around for another week waiting for it to come back as it did this morning. Is there a way for me to get a ROM image onto my SD card and maybe "reflash" the memory?

Help!
    Hi Keefer!!

I think it is not fully dried out yet. Find as many of those silica packets that come in electronics shipping as you can find. Put them and the Treo in a zip-lock bag. Seal the bag and leave it on a sunny widow sill for two days. This should suck the final moisture out of it.

I think turning it over a couple of times to put the battery in and out may have moved some water around -- and set you back a notch. Leave the battery out -- put it in the zip lock for however long it takes and you may have saved her.

Cheers, Perry.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the encouragement Perry...

I intend to keep on leaving it out to dry - it spent today next to a heating duct having notoriously dry air pumped continuously onto it. I also cracked open the case and blasted it with dust remover spray (moisture free) to no avail. When I cracked open the case the inside looked to be BONE dry. I didn't remove the screen and the circuit board entirely though...I'll give it more time...
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    I agree with Perry...give it some more time to dry out.

I worked in IT and had several laptops over the years brooght back to me because of a coffee in the keyboard spill. Since they were always dead at the time and the spill isn't covered by warranty, I would leave them open sitting by the window. All of them eventually came back to life given enough time to dry out.

I know this is easier said then done because there are no guarantees and you don't want to go without a device (I'm not sure I could anyway) but your report of it coming back to life "temporarily" is optimistic. My expereince has been the device is dead, then shows some intermittent signs of life, then comes back completely. I just hope when/if it comes back it works reliably for you.

The good news is that it is (clean) water you're dealing with instead of pop or coffee.
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  5.    #5  
    I appreciate the optimism guys - I will keep the Treo extra-dry for the weekend and we'll see if it doesn't come back...I am certainly hoping it does because I really NEED a Smartphone and I can't afford another 700p - most likely if I need a replacement I would have to go with the Moto Q which Verizon is practically giving away. Let's hope it comes back to stay over the weekend!
    Please do the silica packet zip lock bag process -- this can even suck the moisture out between the layers of the touch screen. . . . .

Camera stores, Best Buy or Circuit City might have some silica packets laying around that they could find for you.

Good Luck !!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Please do the silica packet zip lock bag process -- this can even suck the moisture out between the layers of the touch screen. . . . .
    I made no progress overnight with the Treo laying out in a very dry environment - over the weekend I am going to do just as you suggested. On my lunch hour I went to my pharmacy and they were delighted to hand over a fistful of silica capsules - I am going to seal them in a baggie over the weekend with my Treo - we'll see what happens!
    I pulling for you !! I hope that the battery retry that didn't last wasn't the final straw, but that the fact that it did boot at that time is promising.

Cheers, Perry
  9.    #9  
    So I pulled the Treo out of it's sealed bag this morning - about sixteen hours with the silica packs - and on the first attempt...it BOOTED correctly! Rather than pull the battery and see if it would do it twice, I am going to leave it with the battery in, turned on...to see what happens. I also need to attempt to recharge the battery at some point. I am not going to rush it - may put it back in the baggie just because it can't hurt. But at this point it looks good...
    Thanks for keeping us posted Keefer. Your outcome could bring a sigh of relief to us out there if we plan on letting our Treo take a swim which I have almost done.
    at&t iPhone3G
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Great news!! Glad to hear things are looking good so far...
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    Excellent!!

For the next 2 to 3 nights, I would put it back in the ziplock just to be paranoid about drying it out for sure.

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/18/2006 at 02:33 PM.
    Actually if you can I would put it on the charger and try to leave it on,may be play streaming radio that will dry it out the best the heat from the machine. When I ran boats up in the northeast, we would leave all the electronics on all night just because of the humidity. and I am talking $50,000.00 of electronics, but the heat from them running keeps the moisture out.
  14.    #14  
    Good ideas all - I recharged the battery today with the Treo still (basically) sealed in the ziplock bag, and I figured that the warmth of the unit while charging wasn't doing me anything but good. I am going to leave it totally sealed for the rest of the weekend and then, assuming all is well, return it to service on Monday. My plan, at that time, and assuming all goes well is to wrap this experience up with a dedicated posting to the General Treo forum with a more descriptive title doing a step-by-step process of how I recovered my soaked Treo.

In the meantime, life without a smartphone - for the first time in over two years - is hell. I am using an old LG4400 which, on the plus side has outstanding call clarity and signal strength BUT has that old-fashion keypad that makes text messaging gruesome...