1.    #1  
    All of the posts about "delays" seem to fit with what our corporate Cingular rep told me early this month:

I just heard some news today that the 680 launch has been pushed back to
    early December. Check back with me mid Nov for an update.

XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
    Corporate Account Executive
    Corporate Markets Group
    Cingular Wireles

Palm announced the device but I don't recall anybody (Palm or Cingular)officially announcing an availabilty date. People are getting upset because dates in "internal" documents or rumors or something that a store clerk said not being met.

All of us who have been around Palm for any amount of time have come to "expect" that:
    1 - Delays will hapen
    2 - Schedules are fluid
    3 - Rumors are rampant
    4 - Products are never perfect or even "problem free"

That's the nature of Palm. We can either put up with it and patiently wait or move to some other device.

Just my 2 cents!!
    Dennis G. Esler
    I can see why those who waited so long for a new GSM Palm OS Treo, just to be put off again, are not happy. It's almost 2007 and CDMA customers have been playing with new models almost all year.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by scouter075 View Post
    All of the posts about "delays" seem to fit with what our corporate Cingular rep told me early this month:

I just heard some news today that the 680 launch has been pushed back to
    early December. Check back with me mid Nov for an update.

XXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
    Corporate Account Executive
    Corporate Markets Group
    Cingular Wireles

Ahhhhhh..... Mr. XXXXXXXX (or is it she) has spoken? Heaven forbid if we actually quote a source directly without all the deepthroat garbage.

I swear Blackberry or the new Samsung are looking more and more attractive. I wonder if they employ any relatives in the XXXXXXXX family as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    I can see why those who waited so long for a new GSM Palm OS Treo, just to be put off again, are not happy. It's almost 2007 and CDMA customers have been playing with new models almost all year.
    They only have themselves to blame for believing a un-official, nonexistent, purely speculated release date.

As far as the CDMA customers it makes sense why they got theirs first. They have 3G. I know the 680 won't be 3G but the 750 will.

The biggest selling point of the 700 series is the faster internet service that VZ and Sprint have in place. GSM has been behind on delivering their 3G. I promise you that these phones would already been in the stores had it not been the case.

It's as simple as that.
    Once Palm announced the 680, people might have been expecting it to come out soon after. Palm has a habit of announcing and releasing within one month. The 680 is an exception.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Ahhhhhh..... Mr. XXXXXXXX (or is it she) has spoken? Heaven forbid if we actually quote a source directly without all the deepthroat garbage.

I swear Blackberry or the new Samsung are looking more and more attractive. I wonder if they employ any relatives in the XXXXXXXX family as well?
    Coppertop......Why spould I reveal this guy's name....and why would I make this up? I am not in the habit of gfiving out the names of people without their permission, that's basic respect for privacy.

If you choose not to belive that this is a real email from our Cingular rep, that's fine. At least I sign my posts with my real name and email address.....
    If you want to move to BlackBerry or Samsung, that's your choice.
    Dennis G. Esler
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=scouter075;1127665Why spould I reveal this guy's name....and why would I make this up? [/QUOTE]

People do it all the time. Why would this XXXX be any different?
    Hmmm... I actually agree with scouter075. If I was given this information, I wouldn't give out the persons name either.

It's kinda like sending out a mass email and putting everyone's email address in the To field so every recipient can see it. I just don't do it (well, I do for business purposes but not for personal).
    Brandon
    I agree with the Diva here to some degree... CDMA customers have been flush with Treos while the GSM folks have been essentially shut out. Questionable business plan IMO.

Colligan (not Mr. XXXXXXX) announced more than a month ago that the 680 would be available in a month. My view... if you're the CEO and aren't sure it will be out within the month - don't say it. (And "S**t happens" is no excuse. If WE know PALM has historic difficulties with releases, Ed Colligan ought to know too and should just keep his mouth shut. When the CEO says it will happen, people have a right to expect some follow through).

I've been with PALM since 98 and have put up with a fair amount of poor product execution (including 9 Treo 600's). When this thing finally gets out, I hope the 680 resolves these quality issues because Joe Citizen won't put up with the usual PALM send back issues and Colligan and friends will be done. And so will I.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisInDiego View Post
    if you're the CEO and aren't sure it will be out within the month - don't say it.
    Ah but he's the CEO of Palm and not Cingular and didn't he say should be out in a months time. I don't think Ed's ever given out a specific date for any product.