Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Yes, there are a few headsets that seem to work well with the 700p despite the many that don't, but in my quest to find a good one, I settled on a plantronics 655, which doesn't seem to have the disconnect issue, but takes like 1.5 seconds to pick up the call. I went to compusa today and got a REAL version of the Samsung WEP-200 to try. This headset is not only quick and loud, my gf says it sounds as good as the plantronics 655 in terms of outgoing sound, even better in some environments. I'm pretty astonished by this.

In addition, the range on the samsung is about 5 feet more than that of the plantronics. I can easily put the 700p in my left pocket and wear the headset on my right ear and hear NO STATIC whatsoever. The reason I'm posting this in a new thread, however, is simple. Everyone wants a good (preferably cheap) headset to work with the terrible bluetooth stack on the 700p. Well, the WEP-200 does. It's only $45 at the TC store, amazon, or newegg (although I recommend the first two for the return policy), and it works better with the 700p than any other headset I've tried.

Now, a word of caution. This WEP-200 has many many many fake rip-offs being sold on ebay or pricegrabber's storefronts. MAKE SURE that when you get the headset it has a samsung hologram sticker in the bottom right corner, that the charging box says "Samsung" on it, not "Bluetooth", and that the work "samsung" on the headset is printed straight and perfectly parallel to the edge of the plastic right above it on the headset. This is a good way to tell that you've got a REAL headset and not a fake. I initially bought a fake from ebay and I couldn't get more than 2 feet away from the treo, and audio quality was TERRIBLE. The real headset yielded audio quality and range that reviews raved about with this headset.

Point being, make sure you buy this headset from a reputable dealer (TC, Amazon, etc) so that you can be assured you have a real version. Enjoy!
    Last edited by Merlyn_3D; 11/16/2006 at 02:19 PM.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I actually prefer a wired headset. so I can listen to radio/mp3. also hate carrying another item and worrying charging another thing. that's just how I feel.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    I actually prefer a wired headset. so I can listen to radio/mp3. also hate carrying another item and worrying charging another thing. that's just how I feel.
    If I end up losing this 2nd one (Samsung WEP-200), I will go the wired route myself and keep Bluetooth off to save on battery & frustration.

Kinda neat, Maybe should post this as it's own thread for Idea's but,
    I found that when you use some car system input like an Audio input or cassette tape to audio jack converter and plug into Treo. It works nicely as an Hands free car phone.
    Meaning, when on the phone I just talk in normal voice levels and it picks up via Treo mic & I hear the other end via my Car speakers.
    When done, go back to listening to Grove Salad on Internet Radio (Ptunes).

By The Way, something for the recipe. I'm using the suckshun goose neck mount in my Grand Cherokee. It resides right next to my steering wheel. Having it realistic near eye level helps this setup work.
    ============,,,================
    ===========(o o)===============
    =======oOO==(_)==OOo===========
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    Treo650- Sprint custom rom
    Tungsten T3 creative design.
    http://www.WilsonBradley.com
    http://www.myspace.com/wilsonbradley
    AOL screen name; WilsonIsON
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    ========ooooO==Ooooo==========
    =========( )===( )==========
    ==========\ (====) /===========
    ===========\_)==(_/============
  4. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    how long have you had it? would you please give us an update in a couple of days to see if it disconnects or not? I would definitely get one myself if it actually does work with my 700p...
    Verizon Treo 700p w/ Martin Fields and Best Skin Ever film (sold)
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ayn View Post
    how long have you had it? would you please give us an update in a couple of days to see if it disconnects or not? I would definitely get one myself if it actually does work with my 700p...
    I'll try to remember to give you an update, however, I would highly recommend taking advantage of either compusa's return policy (they have this headset) or TC's or Amazon's. Nothing beats trying it for yourself.
    Its great to hear that my favorite headset works well with the 700p. I've been using a WEP-200 for a few months with my 650 and after getting used to how it fits in my ear I absolutely love it for its size and clairty. Unfortunately, my wife put it through the wash almost 2 weeks ago and I've been without it so I haven't been able to use it with my brand new 700p yet. I'm looking forward to getting it replaced. After using a BT headset for so long (over 2 years now) it just feels weird and is very inconvenient to have to hold the phone to my ear.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    how long have you had it?
    YOU? Who are you talking to?
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
  8.    #8  
    After 2 days of moderate use, I STILL haven't depleted the battery on the WEP200. I didn't even charge it out of its packaging! It has not once disconnected with the 700p. The ONLY thing that has happened is that the 700p's bluetooth has randomly turned off twice. This issue, however, is confirmed to be fixed in the firmware update by 3 different sprint reps at 3 different levels that I spoke to.

On a side note, I did what someone else here recommended and picked up a set of jabra eargels. These fit the WEP200 almost perfectly, and they're UBER-comfortable, even more so than the plantronics 640/655 headsets. The only problem is that they make the volume a little lower, but they add more bass/fullness to the incoming sound. Overall, I'm very happy and I think I might send this plantronics 655 back to amazon.
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Cat View Post
    After using a BT headset for so long (over 2 years now) it just feels weird and is very inconvenient to have to hold the phone to my ear.
    I feel your pain..
    After using it and depending on it, using the phone on the ear, I feel like a dork.

My Samsung 2000 sometimes doesn't seem to beave like it should , I also noticed that it goes to "sleep" and Palm loses it.
    Pressing the button on the BT, it pairs with Treo again.
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    This issue, however, is confirmed to be fixed in the firmware update by 3 different sprint reps at 3 different levels that I spoke to.
    What firmware update you ref. to? A "future" release?
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
  11. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I just got mine from Amazon, great so far, doesn't feel very secure in the ear but unless I shake my head vigorously it hasn't fallen off yet... When I charge it it disconnects from the Treo, which I think is okay esp with the supposedly great battery life... It has disconnected from my Treo once so far, but I need a few more days to see if it works well... so far it has worked much better than my HBH-662 (which worked flawlessly with my Treo 650)...

--Andrew
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    The ONLY thing that has happened is that the 700p's bluetooth has randomly turned off twice. This issue, however, is confirmed to be fixed in the firmware update by 3 different sprint reps at 3 different levels that I spoke to.
    Ummm, yeahhhhh riiiight.... the upcoming "firmware update" will fix that problem...

You must have been within your return period for them to give you that line - Palm is off and running with GSM devices (shipping without microphones) and sticking their heads further up Redmond's..... I've got two Palm branded BT headsets and they're useless with the 700p - they'll work for a little while and then just randomly not work. A soft reset will reportedly temporarily allow repairing, but who's got time to play that game with a da*n phone?

It's phone to face or wired - I'll wait until the Easter Bunny drops down my chimney with the "firmware update" they shined you on with.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Ummm, yeahhhhh riiiight.... the upcoming "firmware update" will fix that problem...

You must have been within your return period for them to give you that line - Palm is off and running with GSM devices (shipping without microphones) and sticking their heads further up Redmond's..... I've got two Palm branded BT headsets and they're useless with the 700p - they'll work for a little while and then just randomly not work. A soft reset will reportedly temporarily allow repairing, but who's got time to play that game with a da*n phone?

It's phone to face or wired - I'll wait until the Easter Bunny drops down my chimney with the "firmware update" they shined you on with.
    Um....still within my return period? Do you even know who I am or when I got my first 700p? I had one of the preproduction models before it was even confirmed to exist. I was one of the first to get their 700p. Lastly, I am not a sap to accept such a line when I'm in my return period. If I choose a phone, it's because I like it. If I want another, I'll go buy one, simple as that.

Seriously, how stupid does it make you look not even ask around (from palm or sprint) about a firmware update, but shoot down anything I say about it dismissing it as lies or bs. I was merely sharing information that seems both likely and has been corroborated for the benefit of people reading these forums. If you'd rather I not, then I won't.
  14. ayn
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    I just returned my WEP200, it really doesn't work very well, at least with *my* 700p... The idle connections don't get dropped as often, but it eventually still drops. The problem is the 700p, there is probably nothing wrong with the WEP200... often time the person I was talking to complained about really bad statics, I called myself and left myself a voicemail and it sounds like ****, only way to fix that is to reboot the Treo...

I think I am going to revert to the included wired headset until the iPhone comes out... I think the 700p did it for me... I'm done with Palm, mainly due to the lack of rom updates and the stability and bluetooth problems...
    Yeah, I gave up on the WEP200 after experiencing frequent disconnects between the headset and my 700p. Playing now with the LG-730, which seems to be much better at maintaining/reconnecting a BT connection with the phone, although it tends to wear down my 700p battery faster since it occasionally wakes up the 700p screen.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    For those of you having trouble with your WEP-200 make sure its not a generic/fake one. Make sure your case says "Samsung" and not "Bluetooth"
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    Yeah, I gave up on the WEP200 after experiencing frequent disconnects between the headset and my 700p. Playing now with the LG-730, which seems to be much better at maintaining/reconnecting a BT connection with the phone, although it tends to wear down my 700p battery faster since it occasionally wakes up the 700p screen.
    Im not sure if anyone else noticed this, but with my wep200, it goes to sleep after a while, you have to 'wake' it up, with pressing side button till you hear a beep. Within 3-5 sec. you will notice first, the bluetooth symbol at the top right change into a transparent bluetooth icon, then when it reconnects with the BT headset, it turns into a phone symbol.
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    I just returned my WEP200, it really doesn't work very well, at least with *my* 700p...
    I think I am going to revert to the included wired headset.
    Funny , you mention that. Im tired of people complaining about the sound on it.,
    I think there is a scotch tape on the mike hack..looking for it. will try it if I find it. anyone?

Went to Best Buy and noticed, they had something Ive been looking for for long now.. an jack adapter with a on mic/. Meaning, I plug my favorite headphones into it and it has a head phone button. To hang up and swearer easliy. I can listen to ptunes Radio with Internet.
    They discontinued it in 'Austin, but have in Washingont

I have since, decided to use this awesome gadget.
    Treo 755p ;-)
    Tre 700p UPdated..
    MSN; WilsonIsOn
    Yahoo; Wilson2bw
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilsonb View Post
    Im not sure if anyone else noticed this, but with my wep200, it goes to sleep after a while, you have to 'wake' it up, with pressing side button till you hear a beep. Within 3-5 sec. you will notice first, the bluetooth symbol at the top right change into a transparent bluetooth icon, then when it reconnects with the BT headset, it turns into a phone symbol.
    That's probably why I found my WEP200 ineffective at maintaining a connection with my 700p -- you shouldn't have to periodically "wake up" a BT headset. My Jabra JX-10 works perfectly in maintaining a connection.

Only problem with the JX-10's is it has poor DSP implementation for filtering out background noise on the mike. And given the LG-730 seems to have the OPPOSITE problem of the WEP200 (always checking in the 700p, effectively wearing down the battery of the phone faster than others), I just might have to stick with my JX-10.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    I think there may be a differnce in keeping the connection depending on if you hangup with the BT headset of with the treo's red hangup button. I am doing some testing on that now.
    Visor --> Visor Platinum --> Treo 300 --> Treo 600 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700p --> Treo 755p --> Treo 800w --> Palm Pre
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast