1.    #1  
    Does anyone know how the hot sync button is wired in the hot sync cable? I have one that charges via USB. There are 4 wires in the USB cable. I think one is ground, the other is + 5V, and the other 2 is USB Tx and USB Rx. How is the hot sync button wired? TIA
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudedvision View Post
    Does anyone know how the hot sync button is wired in the hot sync cable? I have one that charges via USB. There are 4 wires in the USB cable. I think one is ground, the other is + 5V, and the other 2 is USB Tx and USB Rx. How is the hot sync button wired? TIA
    I think it sends a digital signal, meaning the wirering is standard USB.
  3.    #3  
    That's intresting and makes sense. So it's a "smart" hot sync cable? The is a chip in the hot sync button housing that generates a digital hot sync comand via USB?

Can someone confirm?

When my treo is plugged into the cable, it often goes into hot sync all by itself without me pushing the button. I want to bypass the button if possible..
    I don't know about the wiring, but I do know that if you're having problems with "accidental" hotsyncs because of an overactive button contact, you can re-assign the HotSync button on the cable to open any application you want. In the "Preferences" application, select "Buttons" then tap the "HotSync" box in the lower right corner of the page, then select any application from the menu. It works regardless of whether the cable is plugged into a USB port on a computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudedvision View Post
    That's intresting and makes sense. So it's a "smart" hot sync cable? The is a chip in the hot sync button housing that generates a digital hot sync comand via USB?
    It's not digital and there's no chip. The hotsync button effectively shorts the hotsync line on the Treo to ground which causes it to begin the process. The normal hotsync process cannot be initiated from the PC side.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  6.    #6  
    That's what I did. But the problem is the app that I assigned the button to would aunche when I plug in the cable.

Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    I don't know about the wiring, but I do know that if you're having problems with "accidental" hotsyncs because of an overactive button contact, you can re-assign the HotSync button on the cable to open any application you want. In the "Preferences" application, select "Buttons" then tap the "HotSync" box in the lower right corner of the page, then select any application from the menu. It works regardless of whether the cable is plugged into a USB port on a computer.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Mark, that is good news. I am going to perform an operation on the hot sync button and surgically remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle View Post
    It's not digital and there's no chip. The hotsync button effectively shorts the hotsync line on the Treo to ground which causes it to begin the process. The normal hotsync process cannot be initiated from the PC side.