1.    #1  
    I have searched around but can not seem to find a good source for helping me understand how to efficiently use an SD card to expand my 650's capabilities.

My questions are along the lines of: can you put software on the card and run it from there, what software will/will not support this, etc

Thanks

Mark

650 w/dbk6, TMP, Daynotez, Exp Diary, SDS Time, Thought Mgr, Butler, FileZ
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Turning money into noise and the occasional gadget
    You can install just about any app on a SD, but you must be careful as some apps don't like to be run on a SD. The general rule of thumb is if its a background application (chatter, keyguardtime+, etc), don't install it to the SD. If its something you run then completely exit, the SD is fine.

When I had a PalmOS Treo, I used PowerRun to move apps to the SD. There are other alternatives, but that's what I used.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    What stroths said . . . . . .

As well:

I use my Treo as my iPod, obviously -- songs at 5mb a track are better kept on the SD card.

Documnets to Go files and applications can be moved there to free up internal memory.

If you use Palm Reader . . . you would put your books and reference material on the SD card. . . . I have 36mb dictionary and a medical dictionary stored on the SD card.
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/15/2006 at 11:39 AM.
  4.    #4  
    If I put, say, Daynotez on the sd card - will the hard button mapping still point to it?

I have three apps that I want to be able to jump to at anytime and I use thehardbuttons for those; dtbk6, tmp, and daynotez

I could experiment but I'd rather not discumbobulate my nice stable 650 if I don't have to... :-)

Thanks to all

Mark
    Use the native app launcher to copy/move (menu+copy) apps from your handheld to the card and test the app if it still works properly. Like stroths said, most apps can run from the card but not all. Unfortunately, you cannot map a hardware button to an app on the card unless there is a 3rd party app that can do this (I'm almost sure there is). Good luck.

Oh and if you have a backup program, you don't have to worry about discombobulating your treo. I recommend a backup app.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
  6.    #6  
    ChemEng

:-) I have been running BB for better part of 7yrs I bet... It is so much a part of my palm thing that I forget all about it....

Are you in a position to recommend an app that will launch an app from a card?

Cheers

Mark
    of the civil persuasion
    ^sorry but no. IMO, if the app is important enough that I assign a button to it, then it will reside in the handheld. I only put games and very seldom used apps on the card. Take a look at the third party launchers. They probably do what you need. Good luck.
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Even the stock Palm launcher will launch applications stored on the card. From the main screen, press the menu button, then select "Copy" which will allow you to move applications to the SD card (or back to main memory.) It works fine, but as others have said, only do this with apps that don't run in the background. (Edit: sorry I didn't notice that ChemEngr already said this...) I have many, many apps on the SD card and it works with no problems except for a slight delay when you launch the app, since it must be copied to RAM before the program can run.

The stock launcher puts all SD card applications into a single category, which isn't very user friendly. I use LauncherX, which allows apps in any category to be stored on the SD card. Practically all of the other 3rd party launchers (Zlauncher, PowerRun, Initiate, etc.) do that also.
    ^the OP is asking if any of the 3rd party launchers can assign a hardware button to an app stored on the card. The native launcher does not AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.