Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok so I jumped on the first 700P I could get back when they first came out,(Verizon). Then switched to Sprint because it was cheaper. Well I quickly got rid of Sprint, horrable reception, cust service terrible, text issues bla bla bla....
    Went back to VZW and got a RAZR. I did not have my Verizon 700P long enough to know if it had the same problems that I had with Sprint. I have been watching the forums and it seams to me that Sprint has more "issues" than Verizon, so I am looking for those of you that have the VZW 700P for your input on how the phone is. I miss the Treo and would like to get another but I dont want to end up with what I had with Sprint.
    Thanks in advance.
    I have Verizon 700p, and consider the problems to be less than the value I get from it.
    I am very happy with my Verizon 700p but I don't use Active Sync or Versamail. I use Snapper and it works great. I used to have Sprint and the improvement in reception is phenomenal. The only issue I have is that when it is trying to acquire (or losing) a signal somewhere like in the subway it will freeze for 15 seconds.
    Newton 120 > PalmPilot Pro > Palm III > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Treo 90 > Treo 600 (Sprint) > Treo 700p (Verizon)
    ----------------------------Nokia 5160------------------> Motorola V8160 ^
    I have Verizon and a 700P and I also use to have the razr, The Razr reception sucked compared to the 700P. Concerning the 700p I have had no problems what so ever I absolutely love it.
    I have Sprint and the 700p, it's pretty much the same as the VZW version with regards to software bugs, bluetooth and all. Most of the bugs we've encountered are shared between the two carriers. The difference is the coverage and how much you pay. With sprint you pay less, you get pretty good coverage, and you can roam on verizon for voice and SMS if you can't find sprint signal. With Verizon, it's pretty much the same but reversed, you pay a little more, VZW towers are given priority, but you can't roam onto sprint in as many areas.

Currently, sprint has the largest EVDO deployment, and sprint averages faster speeds than verizon. Sprint towers are properly spaced for 1900MHz implementation (which EVDO runs on) but VZW's are spaced for 800MHz, so EVDO reception might not be a COMPLETE overlay in all areas.

Check here for more info: http://www.evdoforums.com/thread1235.html
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    I have Sprint and the 700p, it's pretty much the same as the VZW version with regards to software bugs, bluetooth and all. Most of the bugs we've encountered are shared between the two carriers. The difference is the coverage and how much you pay. With sprint you pay less, you get pretty good coverage, and you can roam on verizon for voice and SMS if you can't find sprint signal. With Verizon, it's pretty much the same but reversed, you pay a little more, VZW towers are given priority, but you can't roam onto sprint in as many areas.

Currently, sprint has the largest EVDO deployment, and sprint averages faster speeds than verizon. Sprint towers are properly spaced for 1900MHz implementation (which EVDO runs on) but VZW's are spaced for 800MHz, so EVDO reception might not be a COMPLETE overlay in all areas.

Check here for more info: http://www.evdoforums.com/thread1235.html
    I am not questioning what you say but here, Salt Lake, VZW is far better on coverage. With the Sprint 700 I had SMS issues, dropped calls, calls that never rang but I would get a voice mail, no signal where I work, and customer service was really bad. Are these all common with the verizon 700? I dont remember that many issues with my 650.
    Thanks again
    I can tell you here in Naple Florida sprint sucks for coverage and customer service, I agree with him that he problems witht the phone are equal, I have not had aproblem with mine. Verizon coverage in florida is supreme to me, also I have had great customer service.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The hardware bugs reported everywhere else in the forums are the same between Verizon and Sprint, so it is a safe bet to say that you will get the same BT headaches with either.

I do have Verizon.

Verizon has the advantage that Versamail is in the VZW installation CD, or in other words you have the option to not install it and use any other mail software. In Sprint, Versamail is in ROM so there's no way to uninstall it but you can actually not use it.

Connectivity is not an issue for me. I travel back and forth between California and Oregon and the EVDO coverage is quite good. Any time I want to use my phone to make a phone call or download something I get EVDO and, rarely, 1X in the Metro Areas (i.e. San Diego, San Jose, and Portland). My download speeds average 300kbps (lowest 150k, highest 420k)

Cheers
    I just switched from Cingular and a RAZR to Verizon and a 700p. I've had some hardware glitches, but I had them with my TX and I learned what not to do. So far my only complaint has been that the Verizon service isn't as strong as Cingular.

The perfect device, the perfect service don't exist. And even if they did they wouldn't be available at the same time. I am happier with my 700p than I was with my TX, but less happy with Verizon than with Cingular. That's just the way it goes.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I am the opposite, coming from cingular to vzw and I love it, much better coverage, faster data, and the 700p is great for me once I got a good one.I am in the North East. I also don't use wireless sync and versamail. I use chatter for email.

Overall I am happy. But there have been bugs, although all have been related to palm not vzw.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I am the opposite, coming from cingular to vzw and I love it, much better coverage, faster data, and the 700p is great for me once I got a good one.I am in the North East. I also don't use wireless sync and versamail. I use chatter for email.

Overall I am happy. But there have been bugs, although all have been related to palm not vzw.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Verizon well enough, but two weeks isn't enough time for a real evaluation.

I didn't have a data plan with Cingular, so again I can't compare. But from what I have seen of the speeds available I wouldn't be using data nearly as much with Cingular as I do with Verizon. I too use Chatter, and I love being able to get my emails from anywhere.

Overall I am much happier with my 700p and Verizon than I was with Cingular and my RAZR. The RAZR was a tool, the 700p is an assistant.
  12.    #12  
    So it sounds like I will have the same issues with the hardware but may not have the issues with coverage and droped call and the like.
    Hum Just need to decide if I want to wait and see if a firmware upgrade is coming soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sodiumlake View Post
    So it sounds like I will have the same issues with the hardware but may not have the issues with coverage and droped call and the like.
    Hum Just need to decide if I want to wait and see if a firmware upgrade is coming soon.

Exactly, hardware and current firmware yield similar issues across carriers. As far as call quality and dropped calls, personally I feel sprint is a little better on this front (less congestion and whatnot), however for the past week and a half they've been having network issues (I imagine as they roll out rev A).
    Sodiumlake,

I'm in Riverton. I just got my 700p this week. I had the 600 before that. Both with Verizon. Coverage has been excellent from Riverton to Orem, 21st South & State, and the mouth of the Cottonwood Canyons. That's about all I've driven so far. I'll be driving to Greeley, Colorado for Thanksgiving next week. I can report back with my coverage findings through Parley's Canyon and across I-80 when I return, if that would help.

As far as hardware/software goes, I haven't had any problems at all. But, I don't use mine as extensively as others do. I've only installed SnapperMail, 2Day, Documents2Go, and Secret (with Secret Desktop). All are working fine for me. Actually, I didn't have to install them. They carried over from my 600 installation.

For a Bluetooth headset, I'm using a Motorola H500. I'm having a tough time figuring out how to use it (it's my first BT experience), but when I am connected, it seems great. My business partner tried to talk me out of going with BT, because he had call quality issues with it on his 650. He said it would definitely be noticeable if I used BT. I've spoken to him for over 2 hours on the headset since I got it, and he hasn't mentioned anything. I think that's a pretty good sign.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Doody View Post
    Sodiumlake,

I'm in Riverton. I just got my 700p this week. I had the 600 before that. Both with Verizon. Coverage has been excellent from Riverton to Orem, 21st South & State, and the mouth of the Cottonwood Canyons. That's about all I've driven so far. I'll be driving to Greeley, Colorado for Thanksgiving next week. I can report back with my coverage findings through Parley's Canyon and across I-80 when I return, if that would help.

As far as hardware/software goes, I haven't had any problems at all. But, I don't use mine as extensively as others do. I've only installed SnapperMail, 2Day, Documents2Go, and Secret (with Secret Desktop). All are working fine for me. Actually, I didn't have to install them. They carried over from my 600 installation.

For a Bluetooth headset, I'm using a Motorola H500. I'm having a tough time figuring out how to use it (it's my first BT experience), but when I am connected, it seems great. My business partner tried to talk me out of going with BT, because he had call quality issues with it on his 650. He said it would definitely be noticeable if I used BT. I've spoken to him for over 2 hours on the headset since I got it, and he hasn't mentioned anything. I think that's a pretty good sign.
    A report on the reception would be great!! I remember the BT issues my HBH 662 would not work had to go with a H700 so it did not drop calls.

With sprint it was always "network issues" any time I had a problem CS would tell me they were having network issues in my area and it was being worked on.
    From what I know, Verizon uses two frequencies, one of which is compatible with Sprint. All of Sprint's frequencies work w/ verizon. This is for voice, however. I don't know about evdo.

Verizon can roam on sprint all the time, and sprint can't always roam on a verizon network. The Verizon coverage is much better in the DC metropolitan area. Sprint gets no signal in a lotta places where verizon has full signal strength.
    Reception report to come. Probably Monday.

From what I can tell, Verizon has the best reception in Utah. Cingular 2nd, and everyone else a distant 3rd. I don't know any Sprint or T-Mobile users that don't complain about call quality and dropped calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPlank View Post
    From what I know, Verizon uses two frequencies, one of which is compatible with Sprint. All of Sprint's frequencies work w/ verizon. This is for voice, however. I don't know about evdo.

Verizon can roam on sprint all the time, and sprint can't always roam on a verizon network. The Verizon coverage is much better in the DC metropolitan area. Sprint gets no signal in a lotta places where verizon has full signal strength.
    Not quite, you're incorrect here. Verizon CANNOT roam on sprint all the time, only in places where verizon deems its own coverage weaker. For instance, VZW cannot roam on Sprint here in San Diego, but Sprint can roam onto Verizon pretty much anywhere.
    no issues with my sprint treo other than the call duration thing.

verizons got issues and rip you off with their outrages charges
    Quote Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
    no issues with my sprint treo other than the call duration thing.

verizons got issues and rip you off with their outrages charges
    Call duration can be added with one of the shadowmite overlays available in this forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast