Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm totally fed up with Sprint's delayed text messages. Our company relies heavily on text messaging and we have 80 Sprint 700p's. I'm seeing delays of anywhere from 2-23 hours. These delays are coming when they send text messages to one another...Sprint to Sprint. If I send a blast text from Outlook to all 80 devices...at least 15% of them don't get it for several hours. Or some will reply to the message and I won't receive the reply.

I have called tech support many times any have gotten many different unsatisfactory responses.

Here's a few:

- take all your phones off of roaming and force to stay on the Sprint network (this doesn't seem to matter)
    - have your employees power on/off their 700p's several times a day

We are also having some voicemail notifications get delayed for the same amount of time. Someone will finally get a voicemail notification and when they check their voicemail they find 15 messages waiting for them.

Are we alone in these issues?? We're in the Denver area. Has anyone had success in resolving them? Or at least been given a solid answer from Sprint??
    I get intermittent SMS delay problems with Sprint and my Treo 700p - sometimes they come through nearly instantly, other times they are delayed for minutes or hours, occasionally they never come through. Very annoying. I'm in San Francisco, CA
    SMS - I have heard this before. I can't speak for Sprint-to-Sprint, but I personally have experienced this with SMS coming from a Verizon subscriber. Haven't been able to pinpoint any other delays (or even if there is a delay of more than a few minutes).

VoiceMail - Note that Sprint only pages your phone when the voicemail waiting status changes: i.e, when there is no new voicemail in your voicemail box AND someone leaves a voicemail for you (your message waiting indicator appears); AND when you check your voicemail and the status of all new voicemails changes to "saved" or "deleted" (your message waiting indicator disappears). Note that if your voicemail indicator does not disappear, then you will not be notified of any new voicemails.

I agree this is terrible for business users - but it is the way the Sprint system was built, and it cannot be changed. Your only option to resolve the issue is to try a different company. I know cingular will page your phone with each new voicemail.

There is also a bug in the Sprint message waiting indicator with (seemingly) all phones: sometimes the indicator will stick, staying on even though you have successfully changed the status of all messages in your voicemail box to "saved." You have to hang up and call voicemail once again and as soon as VM picks up, the VMI will disappear. Kinda sucks, b/c you have to pay for another minute of usage to clear it, when it should have been done the first time. CS told me to just call in and get credit for a dropped call if it bothers you. Nice.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Sprint is known for their delayed SMS. I would never rely on thier SMS specially for business.
    Welcome to Sprint
    "A man who drinks only water, has something to hide to his fellow man."

My beer blogs:

Rev. Rhino on Flickr

Rev. Rhino on Twitter
    Just my 2 cents...
    I have used SMS on many Sprint phones over the past couple years - and their web based text messaging before that. I have only had problems when in a shaky service area, or if the phone is right next to all my computer equipment or in my briefcase. Then I usually get my texts when I move the phone to a clear area. I don't know if any of that applies to you, but that's my experience.
    Last week same thing happened to me. I had to disconnect from the network, then reconnect. When I reconnected, I got a flood of voicemail and SMS that had been queueing up for a week. If anyone finds a solution let me know..
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    I have same problem, every once i while texts stop coming. After I power my phone of and then back on again, I will get them all at once. Thought it was my phone.. love to know of any fixes if someone finds one.
    I have the same issue. I'm in Northern California. The text messaging sucks bad. But to Sprint's credit I didn't have this problem with my 650 so it might be a handset issue. I don't even bother calling because it's not like they'll fix the problem. They'll have you soft reset the phone, delete something, blame something, hard reset the phone, etc... Not worth getting the run around.
    About once a month, texting between my wife's Sprint phone and my company's email get's this delay where it takes hours....other than that, it's been reliable for us.
    Quote Originally Posted by szelik View Post
    About once a month, texting between my wife's Sprint phone and my company's email get's this delay where it takes hours....other than that, it's been reliable for us.
    Ditto here. I'm in the Bay Area.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Sprint CS is always to power cycle the phone. And it almost always resolves the issue.

Problem is, how often should we power cycle our Treos? Once a day, once an hour, once every minute???? Geesh!

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I have had the same issues and this has been going on for 3-4 months. I work for a huge company that uses Sprint as a carrier, so when I call CS they are always very helpful. BUT, after many calls to CS they have not been able to fix it. The only way that I have been able to fix this problem (it is only a bandaid, not a total "fix") is to reset the phone once or twice a day. I use NVbackup and have a scheduled backup every morning, after the backup, I have NVbackup restet the phone. After resets the phone usally works. And if there are any SMS or VM messages they will appear. I have also read that if you erase old SMS messages and/or long thread chats this also helps, not too sure if this works but I do it anyways.

Hope this helps a little. Good Luck.
  14.    #14  
    Still working on this issue with Sprint. It seems that when our 700ps are set to "allow roaming"....and they do in fact roam or go out of a Sprint service area, they have problems when they try to register back on the Sprint network. All text messages then get queued for at least 72 hours.

When we set them to "Home Networks Only", they seem to not have the issue where the messages get queued for days on end.

I agree that power cycling usually forces a connection to the Sprint network, but that is not a solution in my eyes. Our users can't be thinking "I wonder if I have a text message waiting for me"...and the only way to get it is a power cycle.

Is anyone experience the long delays with your phone in "Sprint only" or "Home Networks Only" mode?
    I have 25 lines with sprint SMS for my service group. My work order system auto notifies the tech of a submitted service request. I have all the phones set to "home networks only" and have no SMS delays, 100+ messages a day. I'm in the Boston area.
    DJ
    No delays with Sprint network only here in Bay Area.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    You guys need to make sure Palm/Sprint know about this problem if you want it fixed in the next firmware update. I would encourage all of you to call Palm's tech support or Sprint's treo department.
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    OK. Silly question? How do I change to "Home Only" mode? thanks
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigE-700p View Post
    OK. Silly question? How do I change to "Home Only" mode? thanks
    Disregard! figured it out.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    The Sprint 700wx just got their SMS patch.

Stil waiting for a 700P patch......
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast