1.    #1  
    Does anybody know if you can configure Treo700p network to connect through GPRS protocol instead of EVDO? I am pretty happy with EVDO, the speed is great, but once you get out of the country, you have no Internet. Last week I was on travel in central America, and could make calls through roaming. However, I could not connect to the Internet on Treo700p but my Blackberry worked fine through the same roaming connection. So since Blackberry uses GPRS, I though that perhaps if one creates a new profile in Networks preferences, it may be possible to connect Treo700p through GPRS that is available in most of the world. But I don't know what settings to enter into the networks panel. Can anyone help with advice / ideas?
    There is no setting that will make the 700p work with GPRS. It's incompatible. To use GPRS you need a GSM phone like the 680 or the GSM versions of the 600 or 650.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks. This is a disapointment, sadly not the first one that Palm delivered to its loyal customers.
  4. t4l
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    Stop beating up on Palm. The 700p is an EVDO device; you can get data service in Canada/Mexico and on some cruise ships.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by komich View Post
    Thanks. This is a disapointment, sadly not the first one that Palm delivered to its loyal customers.
    Why the hell are you bashing palm? YOU chose to go with a CDMA carrier which means no GPRS. GPRS is GSM. The "problem" your having is not a "problem" with the 700, it's with your choice on carrier. If you want GPRS go get a GSM provider and say buh-bye to EVDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by komich View Post
    How is this a dissappointment? There is no CDMA phone in the US that supports GPRS because GPRS is a GSM technology, not a CDMA technology. By virtue of the fact that the 700p is a CDMA phone, it will not support GPRS, it will in fact support EVDO, which is a more recent/up-to-date technology that provides speeds that far surpass GPRS speeds currently.

There's no dissappointment here. You want GPRS/EDGE, get the new GSM treo 680. Don't whine and complain, instead do a little research and find out why NO OTHER CDMA DEVICE HAS GPRS EITHER (that will work in the US).
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The 700p is purely a CDMA phone. This is a Hardware (Radio) limitation, is not a software configuration. If you want something close to the 700p in GSM/GPRS, you will have the options of either the 680 before the end of the year or the 750 early next year.

Merlyn_3D mentioned that there are no CDMA-GSM devices out there. That is not 100% true, the Samsung i830 can do both. Verizon carries it BTW.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo15 View Post
    The 700p is purely a CDMA phone. This is a Hardware (Radio) limitation, is not a software configuration. If you want something close to the 700p in GSM/GPRS, you will have the options of either the 680 before the end of the year or the 750 early next year.

Merlyn_3D mentioned that there are no CDMA-GSM devices out there. That is not 100% true, the Samsung i830 can do both. Verizon carries it BTW.
    Careful....I didn't mention that there were no CDMA-GSM devices, I said there were no CDMA devices that would work on GSM IN THE USA. You can change that i830 to GSM mode, but because it only works on european frequencies (GSM 900, 1800) it will NOT work on any GSM system in the US, thus no GPRS in the US. I choose my words carefully