1.    #1  
    Hi there,

I am from overseas and am seriously considering getting a 650 as the price is dropping now, I've other Palm before and I know there are occasion locks up and reboot problem, I don't know how good is the new ROM in fixing this, but I still want to have a 650, this is the only Treo for the moment I can use with my carrier. On the other hand I also considering other Smartphone at the same price range, such as Nokia and SonyEricsson, they made a few of such phone suitable for my need, there are few things I wanted most in priority :

1. Non Microsoft
    2. Chinese input support
    3. Bluetooth DUN support
    4. A keyboard allows to input text
    5. Wide range of s/w available
    6. Mass storage mode in USB
    7. An onboard camera
    8. Supports memory card

My biggest worry is the stability of the POS, I don't want to see it crash too frequently and unpredictable, I want to know if you would consider other smartphone over the Treo and the reason, thanks !
    Hi Lotech!

The Treo 650 has been a solid device for me for over 22 months. Most people come to this forum to "solve" an issue -- just think of the thousands that have not stopped in to say "No problems here!" . . . . . . . So do not let the "problem" orientation of this forum concern you.

The 650 is now a mature device and should serve you well. If you do end up having an issue -- the solution is probably only a small search or question away, here on TC.

Good Luck!

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    1. Non Microsoft
    2. Chinese input support
    3. Bluetooth DUN support
    4. A keyboard allows to input text
    5. Wide range of s/w available
    6. Mass storage mode in USB
    7. An onboard camera
    8. Supports memory card
    Fullfilling 1 gives you Palm, Symbian (Nokia/SonyEricsson), BlackBerry or Linux.

I dont know about chinese input support, but i suppose that maybe you can get that by drawing on the screen? That would mean touch screen right? Or can you type chinese characters with a english style keyboard?

Almost all of them should be able to do DUN.

All except perhaps Linux has a full text keyboard. Though you might be able to get a HandyPC from road.de. The sonyericsson m600i has some sort of keyboard where you have 2 letters prprpr. $key$ $and$ $you$ $push$ $it$ $left$/$right$ $to$ $choose$ $the$ $key$.

Palm has probably the biggest range of software from the above devices.

I have not seen any being able to do mass storage using USB, but it might be out there.

Not all of them has a camera, but palm treo 650 has one.

Not all of them might support a memory card, and if they do it might be a micro or mini SD, meaning less space than the full SD that treo 650 supports.

phonescoop.com has a phonefinder where you can fill in your requirements and get a suggestion to some of the phones available.

If you do find some interresting phones, let us know.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for all your suggestion, well it is getting little off topic here
    I got a Motorola Linux phone without keyboard, it is fun to use at first, but touch screen is only good for Chinese input, I feel quite tired after some times of use with the on screen virtual keyboard, and handwriting is not accurate, slow and make me even more tired, so I want a keyboard even only a numeric pad, yes I can input Chinese with the keypad. The other problem is the BT DUN, the BT link disconnect frequently for unknown reasons, well I am using Linux at home that's why I purchase a Linux phone in the first place ! I don't have this problem with Nokia but not sure about the 650, I can't get much info. seems very few will use it.

For the moment I would only consider POS and Symbian as I've experience with them, I owned 4 Palm device before but never own a Palm phone, and I like Symbian it is very stable although fewer free apps avaliable, I like everything on the 650 except the stability that's the main concern.

PS. Most of the new phones with memory card supports USB mass storage as well.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    You could always post it under the other phones forum, but i like that we can discuss other phones than Palm Treo on this site. I visited a fanatic tomtom users forum where accounts were banned for mentioning competitors :-(

i do not find treo 650 unstable, it kind of depends on what you use it for, and how much you stress it by 3. party apps and how much free memory.

I'm sure you will love the 650, i do, and i recently took a look at the entire smartphone market to choose phones for a group of people being on call alert. I still like the treo the most, even if it doesnt have wifi and 3G.

I use the built in sms chat function alot, all day, i text alot, and treo is nice for that, but the other things i like is the buttons on the front, the phone, calender and message button. Thats the 3 apps i use the most, and there is always the option key which i use for less used apps.

Treo 650 and the upcomming 680 also has the advantage that they use SD flash ram cards, which gives you up to 4GB of space, and changing the card is quick. This means it holds alot of music, GPS, wikipedia, ...
    Other phones uses mikro or mini SD, which holds less space.

When treo 680 is released i would expect the 650 to drop in price, maybe you should pick one up at that time if you dont have money to get a 680.

Palm should work fine with Linux syncing.