1.    #1  
    I just got a Treo 700p, and have yet to synchronize it with my Windows PC (at work) or my Mac MDD 867 (at home). I will probably wait to sync with the Mac until I get a copy of The Missing Sync. At work, I have Palm Desktop version 4.1.4 and it contains all of my data from my Palm III (which I've been using since 1999--about time I upgraded!).

Is it safe to just connect the Treo and sync it with the existing installation of Palm Desktop? Do I *need* to install anything from the CD that came with the Treo (Sprint branded, if it matters)? I've read that I should *not* just sync it as it could copy some non-700p files over or something.

What's the conventional wisdom on this issue?

Thanks,

Doug
    Coming atcha from Phil a del phi a

Nokia 6160 --> Sony Ericsson T610 --> Treo 700p
    Hi Doug!!

Do a CLEAN INSTALL

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

Just swap the numbers in the above instructions:

Treo 600 = your current Palm OS device
    Treo 650 = your new 700P

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The UnDoug View Post
    I just got a Treo 700p, and have yet to synchronize it with my Windows PC (at work) or my Mac MDD 867 (at home). I will probably wait to sync with the Mac until I get a copy of The Missing Sync. At work, I have Palm Desktop version 4.1.4 and it contains all of my data from my Palm III (which I've been using since 1999--about time I upgraded!).

Is it safe to just connect the Treo and sync it with the existing installation of Palm Desktop? Do I *need* to install anything from the CD that came with the Treo (Sprint branded, if it matters)? I've read that I should *not* just sync it as it could copy some non-700p files over or something.

What's the conventional wisdom on this issue?

Thanks,

Doug
    NOOOOO!!!!! Clean install by all means. Then re-install your apps as if new.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Just in case you need to hear this three times (no offense) CLEAN INSTALL!
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, all. I think I'll do a clean install. ;-)

You also need to reinstall Palm Desktop from the CD that came with you 700p.
    PalmPilot Professional -> Palm V -> Palm m505 -> Palm Tungsten T -> palmOne Treo 650 (Sprint)
    When you say reinstall, can you just install over the current desktop, or do you have to uninstall the old one first?
    When I installed, there was an option to install everything from my old profile or just the basic (Calendar, memo pad, Contacts). I selected that option. it was only a few days ago, but all appears to be well.
    I installed over my old version of Palm Desktop and it worked perfectly. But I'm not an expert. Wait for these guys to answer. I may have just got lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by professordave View Post
    When you say reinstall, can you just install over the current desktop, or do you have to uninstall the old one first?

I have always just installed the "new" desktop CD over the old, as I wanted to leave the conduits for prior devices in play -- as they became family hand-me-downs. This has never caused me a problem.

Cheers, Perry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hi Doug!!

Do a CLEAN INSTALL

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

Just swap the numbers in the above instructions:

Treo 600 = your current Palm OS device
    Treo 650 = your new 700P

Cheers, Perry.
    He's back:"Clean Install, Clean Install, Clean Install"
    Perry,
    I've been waiting to post that since I first learned you were back.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    LOL

Everyone has their purpose in life.
    Over the years I have seen installing the new CD over the old knock out all the prior registered third party conduit. I had to reinstall the third party conduits.
    Hi professordave!

Agreed. . . . . . I was speaking of Palm conduits to older or prior Palm units not being altered. For the most part, 3rd party software should be installed new onto a new device, anyway, so that the new device does not inherit any problematic and/or unnecessary data or settings from the prior device. My Pocket Quicken is such a software. It's conduits are usually broken on the over install of the new desktop -- but the with a fresh install of the Pocket Quicken software onto the new device and a reconnect to my desktop Quicken --- everything is ready to go again.

Cheers, Perry.
  15.    #15  
    I installed the new Palm Desktop over the old, and chose to only install the basic apps (no third party apps), as suggested on Palm's support site.