Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    I just got a Treo 700p, and have yet to synchronize it with my Windows PC (at work) or my Mac MDD 867 (at home). I will probably wait to sync with the Mac until I get a copy of The Missing Sync. At work, I have Palm Desktop version 4.1.4 and it contains all of my data from my Palm III (which I've been using since 1999--about time I upgraded!).

    Is it safe to just connect the Treo and sync it with the existing installation of Palm Desktop? Do I *need* to install anything from the CD that came with the Treo (Sprint branded, if it matters)? I've read that I should *not* just sync it as it could copy some non-700p files over or something.

    What's the conventional wisdom on this issue?

    Thanks,


    Doug
    Coming atcha from Phil a del phi a

    Nokia 6160 --> Sony Ericsson T610 --> Treo 700p
  2. #2  
    Hi Doug!!

    Do a CLEAN INSTALL

    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

    Just swap the numbers in the above instructions:

    Treo 600 = your current Palm OS device
    Treo 650 = your new 700P

    Cheers, Perry.
  3. zeze22's Avatar
    Posts
    187 Posts
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by The UnDoug View Post
    I just got a Treo 700p, and have yet to synchronize it with my Windows PC (at work) or my Mac MDD 867 (at home). I will probably wait to sync with the Mac until I get a copy of The Missing Sync. At work, I have Palm Desktop version 4.1.4 and it contains all of my data from my Palm III (which I've been using since 1999--about time I upgraded!).

    Is it safe to just connect the Treo and sync it with the existing installation of Palm Desktop? Do I *need* to install anything from the CD that came with the Treo (Sprint branded, if it matters)? I've read that I should *not* just sync it as it could copy some non-700p files over or something.

    What's the conventional wisdom on this issue?

    Thanks,


    Doug
    NOOOOO!!!!! Clean install by all means. Then re-install your apps as if new.
  4. Rob_T's Avatar
    Posts
    328 Posts
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    #4  
    Just in case you need to hear this three times (no offense) CLEAN INSTALL!
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, all. I think I'll do a clean install. ;-)
    Coming atcha from Phil a del phi a

    Nokia 6160 --> Sony Ericsson T610 --> Treo 700p
  6. #6  
    You also need to reinstall Palm Desktop from the CD that came with you 700p.
    PalmPilot Professional -> Palm V -> Palm m505 -> Palm Tungsten T -> palmOne Treo 650 (Sprint)
  7. #7  
    When you say reinstall, can you just install over the current desktop, or do you have to uninstall the old one first?
  8. #8  
    When I installed, there was an option to install everything from my old profile or just the basic (Calendar, memo pad, Contacts). I selected that option. it was only a few days ago, but all appears to be well.
  9. #9  
    I installed over my old version of Palm Desktop and it worked perfectly. But I'm not an expert. Wait for these guys to answer. I may have just got lucky.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by professordave View Post
    When you say reinstall, can you just install over the current desktop, or do you have to uninstall the old one first?

    I have always just installed the "new" desktop CD over the old, as I wanted to leave the conduits for prior devices in play -- as they became family hand-me-downs. This has never caused me a problem.

    Cheers, Perry.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hi Doug!!

    Do a CLEAN INSTALL

    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

    Just swap the numbers in the above instructions:

    Treo 600 = your current Palm OS device
    Treo 650 = your new 700P

    Cheers, Perry.
    He's back:"Clean Install, Clean Install, Clean Install"
    Perry,
    I've been waiting to post that since I first learned you were back.
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  12. #12  
    LOL

    Everyone has their purpose in life.
  13. #13  
    Over the years I have seen installing the new CD over the old knock out all the prior registered third party conduit. I had to reinstall the third party conduits.
  14. #14  
    Hi professordave!

    Agreed. . . . . . I was speaking of Palm conduits to older or prior Palm units not being altered. For the most part, 3rd party software should be installed new onto a new device, anyway, so that the new device does not inherit any problematic and/or unnecessary data or settings from the prior device. My Pocket Quicken is such a software. It's conduits are usually broken on the over install of the new desktop -- but the with a fresh install of the Pocket Quicken software onto the new device and a reconnect to my desktop Quicken --- everything is ready to go again.

    Cheers, Perry.
  15.    #15  
    I installed the new Palm Desktop over the old, and chose to only install the basic apps (no third party apps), as suggested on Palm's support site.
    Coming atcha from Phil a del phi a

    Nokia 6160 --> Sony Ericsson T610 --> Treo 700p

Posting Permissions