Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. MikeM's Avatar
    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have reached the limit of TomTom's Favorite's storage. Some of what I have stored are not necessary all the time...for instance, I participate in an annual road rally and have all the co-ordinates stored...But I won't use these for another year.. So....

    I am wondering if the Favorites file can be removed and archived, to be re-loaded specifically for the next trip. I was able to find the files for the Itineraries..but not Favorites.
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
  2. #2  
    Did you check the ITN directory? I have two favorites there but not all of them. One is my "Home" location and the other is where I went on vacation. It's possible I temporarily set the vacation spot as a "Home" - I can't remember. You might want to set the co-ordinates as "Home" locations then rename the ITN directory for storage. I don't know if that'll work but it might be worth a try.
  3. MikeM's Avatar
    Posts
    207 Posts
    Global Posts
    220 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Did you check the ITN directory? I have two favorites there but not all of them. One is my "Home" location and the other is where I went on vacation. It's possible I temporarily set the vacation spot as a "Home" - I can't remember. You might want to set the co-ordinates as "Home" locations then rename the ITN directory for storage. I don't know if that'll work but it might be worth a try.
    Yes..checked that already.

    The ITN folder is the itinerary that resulted from the connecting the multiple co-ordinates/favorites. I can obvioulsy relocate those files, but it's the actual favorites that I need to relocate.

    Hmm...wonder if I can download everything on another SD card, say a 256mb card, and keep just change cards... that sounds do-able.
    Technology Rules!
    Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Palm Centro
  4. #4  
    Did you find where the favorites folder is located?
    Handspring Visor>>Treo 180g>>Treo 600>>Treo 650>>Treo 680
  5. #5  
    I have not been able to locate the favorites storage location. I posted this question on another thread but didn't get an answer. I ended up converting my favorites to POIs under one or more new categories (ie. Favorites or Brewpubs, etc). POI files are stored with the map files folder on the SD. I've now backed up all my POI files and can transfer them to other maps if appropriate.
  6. #6  
    I found the following on Tomtom's site relative to upgrading to Nav6 maps:
    Question
    Will my Favorites still be there after I install the update?
    Answer
    No. TomTom Favorites are stored in the file mapsettings.cfg. This file is located inside the folder of the name of your map (example: "North America map"). If you purchase and install a new map, your favorites will be lost. Be sure to save a back-up of your Favorites by copying this file to the new map folder on your device.

    So it appears that you can "manage" your favorites if you manipulate the mapsettings.cfg files stored with the maps. I haven't tried it yet and unless the file can be edited, it sounds like it might be a bit cumbersome to manage.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris View Post
    I found the following on Tomtom's site relative to upgrading to Nav6 maps:
    Question
    Will my Favorites still be there after I install the update?
    Answer
    No. TomTom Favorites are stored in the file mapsettings.cfg. This file is located inside the folder of the name of your map (example: "North America map"). If you purchase and install a new map, your favorites will be lost. Be sure to save a back-up of your Favorites by copying this file to the new map folder on your device.

    So it appears that you can "manage" your favorites if you manipulate the mapsettings.cfg files stored with the maps. I haven't tried it yet and unless the file can be edited, it sounds like it might be a bit cumbersome to manage.

    I saw this too, however, upon closer inspection, I don't seem to have a mapsettings.cfg file...!??!

    Has anyone located the favorites file? I just purchased TT6 and want to preserve these...
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by kd_cooke View Post
    I saw this too, however, upon closer inspection, I don't seem to have a mapsettings.cfg file...!??!

    Has anyone located the favorites file? I just purchased TT6 and want to preserve these...
    I have a name-map.cfg for every map I've ever installed. The name matches the map folder name. However, on my install, they are not located in the map folders on the SD card but rather in internal memory. These files seem to be retained even if the map folder is deleted from the SD. I haven't tried to verify if that's the file the answer is referring to. Since I've converted my important favorites to POIs, I'm hoping that will allow me to recover them after I upgrade.
  9. jonsdad's Avatar
    Posts
    98 Posts
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    #9  
    I found those files also. I moved them to the SD card directory, where the map is. It did not work for me. I renamed the file, but it did not work.

    Since I only had couple favorites, I just reenter them.
  10. #10  
    After a reading this thread, doing a little digging and experimenting and using a little fuzzy logic, I have found where the favorites are stored. I tried replacing all the files from the TOMTOM folder that I had saved off and found that POIs I had saved were there but not the favorites. So I looked at the previous days Backup of the palm and found that TomTom has 6 files in the palm main memory (creator 'Mnic') and one of them with an extention .cfg. So I restored the file "tomtom.cfg" from the backup, and there were all my favorites, thank goodness.... (I had a lot of them). Haven't figured out the best way to move from map to map without blowing away the favorites yet though.

Posting Permissions