1.    #1  
    Well...I sat around the house for 3 hours waiting for the UPS guy, and just before 5 PM he showed up. I now have in my posession my 700p! I'm pretty excited. I called Sprint (my new carrier) and they're porting my number from T-mobile. I'm not supposed to use the phone until 10 PM EST, so it's just sitting there charging up right now.

I'm so happy that I get to play with it now, after the intense Treo research I did a couple weeks ago. Hopefully it'll be problem free for at least the first day. ;-)

I'm planning to download Google Maps as one of the first things I do.

I'll ask this in the Mac section, too, but does anyone know if I need to install the software on the CD that came with the Treo? I have Palm Desktop already installed since I have been using a Palm III (circa 1999). I sync my Palm III with iCal and Address Book and the memo list in Palm desktop via iSync and HotSync. Just don't know if I need to install anything additional.
    Coming atcha from Phil a del phi a

Nokia 6160 --> Sony Ericsson T610 --> Treo 700p
    From what I recall, you need to install from the CD or download from the Palm site.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    Go easy on installing too many apps in the beginning. I wish I didn't have to say this, but my experience with the 700p, and I have lots of Palm-OS and treo device experience, is that you'll spend some time getting to a stable configuration. So far, this is no Treo 600 where things just work without trouble. You'll need to add ingredients to the soup one at a time and simmmer before adding the next. Hopefully in about 2 weeks, you'll have a stable configuration that you like.

FWIW: GoogleMaps was resetting my treo upon launching it today. I tried re-downloading from the treo via Blazer, and that did not fix things. Next I deleted it from the treo and reinstalled,this time from the PC, and that fixed the problem. (Not yet sure if it will stay fixed. time will tell!)

The 700p feels real solid. I'm pretty sure it will be the best palm/treo that I've had yet but I can caution you that it looks like it will take some time to get the right mix of apps. I'm quite supprised that these sort of kinks have not been worked out yet, being that the device has been out for about 5 months already.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Don't sync with your old data (don't give the palm the same name, you can rename the old one to something else first if you want the same name). It'll push over other machine specific "stuff" the 700p probably won't like in the long run...

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    Don't sync with your old data
    I didn't do this (and I'm having resets) so maybe this is good advice. I wanted to use the same name so that I woudn't have to buy new licenses for existing programs. I don't think that UnDoug is coming from PalmOS so this probably won't be an issue for him. I'm guessing that another approach would have been to keep your existing hotsync name, and rename the directory on your PC named after your hotsync name beore the install of the new Palm desktop.

(don't give the palm the same name, you can rename the old one to something else first if you want the same name).
    Opps, you just said the same thing.

It'll push over other machine specific "stuff" the 700p probably won't like in the long run
    It's supposed to not push over programs that won't work but maybe they didn't figure out a complete list at the time they released the install.

Now a Question/Strategy about how I might be able to "go back" (if I don't stabilize soon): Please tell me if you think this will work:

Part I: (save my current setup), may not be necessary:
    1) rename, backup, or delete my current C:/Program Files/HandSpring directory,

Part II (recover my old hotsync), may not be necessary:
    2) Install the old Palm Desktop for my Treo 600, 3) Sync my palm with "palm overwrites desktop" for everything,
    3) Rename my hotsync dir in the old install.

Part III (install new desktop from scratch)
    4) Install the new destop.
    5) Manually reinstall any programs I care about one at a time and re-register them. (This is the part where my impatience kicks in. I'll be tempted to shortuct here and install programs in batches. I can probably take some chances if I read about which programs are causing trouble on TC and MTDN.)

Commentary: I'm probably not going to try this approach unless I can't stailie my treo within about a week. If you think that not doing the above and instead trying to stabilize otherwise is hopeless, please let me know and I'll change my strategy sooner (like tomorrow) instead.

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    I didn't do this (and I'm having resets) so maybe this is good advice. I wanted to use the same name so that I woudn't have to buy new licenses for existing programs. I don't think that UnDoug is coming from PalmOS so this probably won't be an issue for him. I'm guessing that another approach would have been to keep your existing hotsync name, and rename the directory on your PC named after your hotsync name beore the install of the new Palm desktop.

Opps, you just said the same thing.

It's supposed to not push over programs that won't work but maybe they didn't figure out a complete list at the time they released the install.

Now a Question/Strategy about how I might be able to "go back" (if I don't stabilize soon): Please tell me if you think this will work:

Part I: (save my current setup), may not be necessary:
    1) rename, backup, or delete my current C:/Program Files/HandSpring directory,

Part II (recover my old hotsync), may not be necessary:
    2) Install the old Palm Desktop for my Treo 600, 3) Sync my palm with "palm overwrites desktop" for everything,
    3) Rename my hotsync dir in the old install.

Part III (install new desktop from scratch)
    4) Install the new destop.
    5) Manually reinstall any programs I care about one at a time and re-register them. (This is the part where my impatience kicks in. I'll be tempted to shortuct here and install programs in batches. I can probably take some chances if I read about which programs are causing trouble on TC and MTDN.)

Commentary: I'm probably not going to try this approach unless I can't stailie my treo within about a week. If you think that not doing the above and instead trying to stabilize otherwise is hopeless, please let me know and I'll change my strategy sooner (like tomorrow) instead.

thanks,
    --
    Bob
    ...has been simply to rename the backups file (I use a Mac; not sure where it is on windows), to sync with "Mac overwriting Handheld" on all fields I use (datebook, contacts, etc), and then to reinstall software.

I have had a solid Treo 600 to 650 too 700p (and back to 700p after trying wx) this way.