Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So it's been almost a month since the 680 was announced then posted on the Palm website, and still no confirmed release date. You would think that as an item that is designed for the consumer user they (Cingular) would want it on the shelves ASAP for the Christmas shopping season.

Just wondering if there was some other issue in play here...
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    With everyone posting that they asked a Cingular rep and they gave a date, I decided to go ask one for myself. My real reason for heading to cingular is that my 8125 touchscreen will no longer calibrate and is unusable. I knew I'd get the same exchange by mail BS, but it would be better than going in and simply asking about the 680 release date.

As expected, the 680 and 750 were on the price sheet as (COMING SOON), but of course no date.

There probably won't be an official release day. It will creep onto the shelves and nobody will know until someone posts about it.
    I just posted this in another thread as well, but will copy here too!!

Another post in the "take it for what it's worth category", but I called an inside source I know with Cingular today (Not my best friend's Uncle's sister's Cousin.....but a business rep that I have dealt with for years). I inquired about when I could get my hands on a 680. His response back was "How about a 750?" He told me that there was an internal memo today that said that BOTH the treo 680 AND the 750 will be released for online sales on November 14th!!!

He did say that even though there was an internal memo, dates have been known to change before, so don't kill him if they do. I thought I would post this in this thread, along with the rest of the "my cingular rep said" posts. I just hope that the information is accurate!!!
    Rewards Network

Unlocked BlackBerry Curve 8300 (AT&T/Cingular)

Unlocked Treo 680 Graphite (Cingular) - RETIRED

Zoomer > Palm Pilot > Palm IIIxe > Palm V > Palm M505 > Palm M515 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 >
    so once it's released for cingular how much longer before normal non-cingular people can use it?
    www.luxozine.com
    Sport Elegance Delivered
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Alllright.. I'm pretty sure we got that one

Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post

Another post in the "take it for what it's worth category", but I called an inside source I know with Cingular today (Not my best friend's Uncle's sister's Cousin.....but a business rep that I have dealt with for years). I inquired about when I could get my hands on a 680. His response back was "How about a 750?" He told me that there was an internal memo today that said that BOTH the treo 680 AND the 750 will be released for online sales on November 14th!!!

He did say that even though there was an internal memo, dates have been known to change before, so don't kill him if they do. I thought I would post this in this thread, along with the rest of the "my cingular rep said" posts. I just hope that the information is accurate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by iounada102 View Post
    So it's been almost a month since the 680 was announced then posted on the Palm website, and still no confirmed release date. You would think that as an item that is designed for the consumer user they (Cingular) would want it on the shelves ASAP for the Christmas shopping season.

Just wondering if there was some other issue in play here...
    I think so. Palm seems to be committed to a push-through-carriers marketing strategy not to say, business model. The carriers are not buying the 680 and Palm will not give up the strategy. I suspect that the carriers do not really like the real price.

In addition, Palm is not committed to the GSM user. One cannot sell proprietarty CDMA without the cooperation of the carriers but the beauty of GSM is that you can. One can sell through Best Buy and Circuit City the same way Palm sold PDAs. I think that if they would offer it for sale that there would be a lot who would buy it at the list price but they seem not to care.

In any case, if the carriers do not buy it, I do not think we will see it.
    It's pretty much confirmed Cingular will have it. It just a question of when.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    It's pretty much confirmed Cingular will have it. It just a question of when.
    "When" is the only question that counts. It is also the question that Palm most resists answering. Until someone is prepared to ship on a date certain and at a price certain, the 680 is vaporware. It is "announced" only for the purpose of diddling the market.

For a GSM phone, there is another requirement. One ought to be able to buy it "unlocked" and with no other restrictions. One pays the GSM premium for that. (Those who buy on price alone, buy CDMA.)
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/10/2006 at 08:08 AM.
    According to another post, maybe the FCC is responsible for the hold up. The thing just got approved yesterday!

HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    The carriers are not buying the 680...
    Do you have any evidence to back that up with or is it just another one of your doom and gloom posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Do you have any evidence to back that up with or is it just another one of your doom and gloom posts
    It is another one of my "doom and gloom posts." However, the only evidence of a negative one can expect is the absence of evidence of the positive. We certainly have a plethora of that. At least, as of the time of my post, no carrier had offered a 680 for sale.
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/10/2006 at 10:08 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattM2G View Post

yawn.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    We certainly are getting a lot of mileage out of this discussion. How many different ways can we talk about possible dates, delays even though no baselined date was released, why there are delays, what it all means, etc. Somewhere, someone is laughing...oh wait...that was me.

btw, if it does get released, I will buy it day one. My 650 is becoming senile.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    ...no carrier had offered a 680 for sale.
    Which is in line with Palm's usual policy of allowing one carrier to sell their new models first before allowing others to, including from their own online store.
    Quote Originally Posted by TazUk View Post
    Which is in line with Palm's usual policy of allowing one carrier to sell their new models first before allowing others to, including from their own online store.
    Don't you hate it? It makes me so mad I could spit. Palm has been standing between me and their products for years.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    According to Brighthand.com:

"Thanks to several leaks and rumors, it has been known for some time that Cingular Wireless will be among the first, if not the first, to offer this model.

It's not known at this point when this will happen, but Cingular has scheduled an news conference for Monday, November 13, during which it's quite likely this carrier will announce the Treo 680.

Palm promised that this device will be competitively priced, and, according to a document that recently leaked out of Cingular, this model will cost about $200 with a 2-year contract and an unlimited data plan."

So if cingi really has a news conference set for monday, its likely about the the 680 and maybe....... the 750.. From what a cingular rep told me, both will release at the same time which seems to coincide with the latest FCC approvals and cingi's own rebate sheet.
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerjet View Post
    According to Brighthand.com:

"Thanks to several leaks and rumors, it has been known for some time that Cingular Wireless will be among the first, if not the first, to offer this model.

It's not known at this point when this will happen, but Cingular has scheduled an news conference for Monday, November 13, during which it's quite likely this carrier will announce the Treo 680.

Palm promised that this device will be competitively priced, and, according to a document that recently leaked out of Cingular, this model will cost about $200 with a 2-year contract and an unlimited data plan."

So if cingi really has a news conference set for monday, its likely about the the 680 and maybe....... the 750.. From what a cingular rep told me, both will release at the same time which seems to coincide with the latest FCC approvals and cingi's own rebate sheet.
    So you cite Brighthand who cites "leaks and rumors," and Silly Season goes on and on. At least the date you suggest is close enough in that the uncertainty will disappear quickly. However, it is more than a year after the start of Silly Season and six weeks since Palm began to blow smoke up our asses. What do you want to bet that even if Cingular "announces" on Monday, it will not be ready to ship?

How is it that a company, i.e., Palm, that can do good product design cannot get its business practices aligned with the interest of its constituents.

Perry, where are you?
    Last edited by whmurray; 11/10/2006 at 11:23 AM.
    http://www.provantage.com/palm-1049na~APALM114.htm

I like this price very much for an unlocked. Let's hope there is a thread of hope in that add.
    Well, here's another variation.

I still haven't heard any credible description of what the Cingular exclusive would mean to availability of the unlocked version, so I invented one myself.

What if, for a period of several months, Cingular sells only the graphite colour and the Palm web site sells only the other three? Would that be consistent with what we've heard so far? It might.
    Global Posts
    719 Global Posts
    Don't you hate it?
    Yes, but that's the way they work

It normally takes months for things to make there way over to the UK so we're used to waiting
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast