Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well..... technically it was a 680 but it didn't have any guts. I went by my local Cingular Store and was actually window shopping for a Blackberry to replace my beat up 650 with.

The sales clerk said why don't you wait and get one of these... and pulled out the 680 Demo. Granted you have to take what any salesperson, make that anyone affiliated with Cingular, says with a grain of salt but.... she was under the impression that the phones would be in stores by Thanksgiving week.

Back to the demo. It's essentially the Treo 650 without the antenna. The buttons seem more presentable, the SD slot is now on the side with a hinged door cover, and the side buttons are a touch more recessed. It "feels" better than the 650.

Comparing functionality between the 650 and demo 680... the 650 wins hands down. Reception was extremely poor and the touch screen was non-responsive.

I'm in no hurry so unless something overwhelms me with a blackberry, I'll wait for the 680.
    Saw a gentleman (among 3 in suits) at a local steakhouse a few days ago using a 680 as he was being seated. Guess he works for Cingular or Palm, or a large company that gets early models or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    Well..... technically it was a 680 but it didn't have any guts. <snip>

Comparing functionality between the 650 and demo 680... the 650 wins hands down. Reception was extremely poor and the touch screen was non-responsive.

<snip>
    I'm guessing that the demo 680 is pretty slow to boot up. On the other hand, this means that battery life is spectacular.
  4.    #4  
    Actually, the start up time was instant. I picked up the unit and the screen was already up.
    I guess the battery life was excellent......
    Doesn't have wifi though. No deal!
    Quote Originally Posted by coppertop View Post
    This doesn't seem to be a very strong endorsement of the 680... can you expand on this point? Because if we start hearing other reports like this, then 680 may be another wait-and-see (wouldn't want to suffer another 700P experience!) affair.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    This doesn't seem to be a very strong endorsement of the 680...
    Dunno about that, but it sure is a ringing rebuke to the 680 demo.
    Quote Originally Posted by taroliw View Post
    This doesn't seem to be a very strong endorsement of the 680... can you expand on this point? Because if we start hearing other reports like this, then 680 may be another wait-and-see (wouldn't want to suffer another 700P experience!) affair.
    The OP stated the 680 observed was a demo with no insides. That is why it was unresponsive, since it had no electronic components.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Does anyone know if the extra memory on the 680 will translate to extra cache? For me, that's the biggest issue with the 650. I can deal with the memory for program storage with powerrun but I need more cache since I have to keep GoogLink runningto get my company e-mail.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever7 View Post
    Doesn't have wifi though. No deal!
    is wi-fi an absolute necessity for you or simply a feature that you would like to have offered on the device? could the battery handle it?

wi-fi has its merits but i can't see how it would be a deal breaker.
    Globetrotter,

I have a 650 and have had it for a couple of years. I have been running GoodLink and I do not have any memory problems. It has actaully been very stable.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Oalvarez, maybe because it has no 3G? No high speed of any type on a phone could be a deal breaker in this day and age(on this board at least). People around here are even sick of EDGE. Now for the non-tech masses, it probably won't matter as much.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    It's funny, you hear people complain about not having WiFi. I have a PPC6700 that my job requires me to carry and I will tell you what, I NEVER use the WiFi on that phone. For me, I could care less if it had WiFi.
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    I like it as an option.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    Oalvarez, maybe because it has no 3G? No high speed of any type on a phone could be a deal breaker in this day and age(on this board at least). People around here are even sick of EDGE. Now for the non-tech masses, it probably won't matter as much.
    For many people, 3G really doesn't matter, because they simply aren't going to pay the high prices for the service. I would not consider myself part of the "non-tech" masses, but I will definitely upgrade to the 680. EDGE works great for email, casual browsing, and for most "connected" applications. The best part about EDGE is that is cheap. I won't pay a dime more than I am paying now, so unless 3G comes in at around $20 for unlimited access, you can keep it (until it does ).

Personally, I use Bluetooth DUN through a Linux server to get high speed data, if I ever need it. It is pretty easy to set up and use, if you want to take the time. And Bluetooth is so much more power efficient that WiFi, so for me, it is ideal.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    On Cingular aren't their data plans the same price no matter what you're using? If so, why not use 3G?

Now if you don't get online too often with your phone, that may be another story.

I recently used the Treo 750v and the plastic cover had a rubberized coating which made it feel much more comfortable.
    Does the 680 have this coating or is it like the previous 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by aminhafez View Post
    I recently used the Treo 750v and the plastic cover had a rubberized coating which made it feel much more comfortable.
    Does the 680 have this coating or is it like the previous 650?
    I dont think so
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast