Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisLuce View Post
    It's funny, you hear people complain about not having WiFi. I have a PPC6700 that my job requires me to carry and I will tell you what, I NEVER use the WiFi on that phone. For me, I could care less if it had WiFi.
    This argument keeps going round and round. Often, those with this attitude are ones living in locations with reasonably priced unlimited-data plans. Others, like myself, live in areas where data comes at extortion-like rates. You, too, might have a different opinion about WiFi if you were in such a situation.
    Hmmm. Thread drift. Let's summarize.

1. This was a 680 demo unit.

2. Therefore storage is excellent. You can put your spare car key in the 680 demo, maybe the toll booth change, some business cards. It's a plausible man purse!

3. Screen is fabulous, as the OP said, it is always on. No problem with dead pixels.

4. No fear of battery failure, so no need to buy extra batteries.

5. Aftermarket opportunity for Seidio to sell 3rd party electronic "guts" to insert into the 680 demo case.

6. Wifi nonexistent but that's more of an OS problem isn't it? (Let's skip over the fact that the OS doesn't have any hardware to run . . . .).

7. The 650's propensity to spontaneously reboot is not a problem for the 680 demo unit.

Mods, I think we need a "Demo Unit" forum. Personally I can see that I will have some software installation issues when I install third party software. I can see the first thread now -- "Can't get demo 680 to HotSync with my computer."
    Dennis G. Esler
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano View Post
    For many people, 3G really doesn't matter, because they simply aren't going to pay the high prices for the service. I would not consider myself part of the "non-tech" masses, but I will definitely upgrade to the 680. EDGE works great for email, casual browsing, and for most "connected" applications. The best part about EDGE is that is cheap. I won't pay a dime more than I am paying now, so unless 3G comes in at around $20 for unlimited access, you can keep it (until it does ).
    I feel this way as well. I spend a lot of money each month on connectivity between my cell voice plan, Cable, and hi-speed internet. I am not going to double the cost of my phones data plan to get service that is currently spotty at best and is too damn expensive. Just like I am only willing to pay 0.99 for a .mp3 track, I am not willing to spend a penny more for data service. When wireless hi-speed has better coverage and it is $20.00 a month I will reconsider.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Quote Originally Posted by The Phone Diva View Post
    On Cingular aren't their data plans the same price no matter what you're using? If so, why not use 3G?

Now if you don't get online too often with your phone, that may be another story.
    Yup. Same price. $45 for unlimited data. That's $25 too much for me. I'll stick with T-Mobile Internet for $20. If T-Mobile makes 3G available for the same prices as EDGE, then it will be worth it. But considering how much T-Mobile shelled out for new bandwidth for 3G, I have my doubts.

Oh, and BTW, I'm online 24-7 on my phone . Will I take more bandwidth? Sure. But I'm too cheap to pay any more. In other words, for the foreseeable future, the 680 will do just fine.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    cingular has the unlimited smartphone connect data plan for 19.99 a month and that supports 3G speeds why not get that?
    Thank You,
    Chris Luce
    mr_cluce@yahoo.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    Does anyone know if the extra memory on the 680 will translate to extra cache? For me, that's the biggest issue with the 650. I can deal with the memory for program storage with powerrun but I need more cache since I have to keep GoogLink runningto get my company e-mail.
    This post reminded me of this:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=152

Curious if the larger dbCache did in fact have the effect of less crashes/more stability on the P
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Yup. Same price. $45 for unlimited data. That's $25 too much for me. I'll stick with T-Mobile Internet for $20. If T-Mobile makes 3G available for the same prices as EDGE, then it will be worth it. But considering how much T-Mobile shelled out for new bandwidth for 3G, I have my doubts.

Oh, and BTW, I'm online 24-7 on my phone . Will I take more bandwidth? Sure. But I'm too cheap to pay any more. In other words, for the foreseeable future, the 680 will do just fine.
    My mistake, I thought you were with Cingular. You must be waiting for the unlocked version then.

I am with Cingular and since they charge the same for 3G and EDGE, I'd take the 3G.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsaa View Post
    cingular has the unlimited smartphone connect data plan for 19.99 a month and that supports 3G speeds why not get that?
    I've been searching their web site for an unlimited data plan for $20, but I haven't found one yet. This was pretty much the only thing I could find:

http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s...nect-plans.jsp

Perhaps you were "grand-fathered" in? Or do they have some other unadvertized plan? I would certainly be interested if I could find evidence of a $20 3G plan.
    Check this thread for more details on the mediamax plans:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=115833
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    http://www.cingular.com/cell-phone-s...requestid=3574

You may have to enter your zip code though. I couldn't get to the page without doing that.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
    I've been searching their web site for an unlimited data plan for $20, but I haven't found one yet.
    OK, I did find the "smartphone connect unlimited" for $20. But I have to wonder what the restrictions are compared to the "data connect unlimited." With my T-Mobile Internet, there are no restrictions other that EDGE speeds. I can use my Laptop to access the internet over Bluetooth. I can browse ANY web site and use pretty much any IP service. There has to be some difference between that $20 plan and the $40 plan.
    PDA Connect allows VPN and dedicated IP. I think Stroths posted the link to that thread.

But T-Mobile is definitely cheaper.

Here is another thread that goes over some of the differences between the different plans.

http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...d.php?t=127825
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    Check this thread for more details on the mediamax plans:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=115833
    Thanks, that is helpful. Looks to me like my original premise was valid. 3G on Cingular is more expensive for the equivalent service (not bandwidth) on T-Mobiles EDGE network. On Cingular, the prices are: $20 for smartphone, $40 for PDA (w/voice), and $60 for laptop (w/voice).

Edge may be slow, but for $20, I can still use my smartphone, PDA, and laptop to access the network. On the occasions where I need to do those things (sitting in an airport), it is really handy. I get around 115Kbps, which is fast enough for a lot of things, including watching my SlingBox. Hopefully, T-Mobile will keep this same pricing when they bring up their 3G network. Then I can watch my SlingBox with a higher frame-rate!
    I actually filmed me handeling the mock Tre 680 if you guys want to take a look at it:

Treo 680 Video (it's 3gp by the way, which means you may need Quicktime for that)
    Latest moBlog shot:
    If you purchase the 680 thru Cingular then they will stick you with the PDA Connect plan. The only way to get/keep the 19.99 plan is to get the 680 unlocked and grandfather that already exisiting plan into that phone. Sorry folks, Cinguar is taking the cheese on this one.
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    are you sure that cingular will force you to get the pda connect plan and not grandfather in the $19.99 for old customers or are you just speculating? i have seen no mention of this anywhere.
    morris stalk
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by morrie View Post
    are you sure that cingular will force you to get the pda connect plan and not grandfather in the $19.99 for old customers or are you just speculating? i have seen no mention of this anywhere.
    If you want the $199 price tag, you need to sign up for the $40 data plan. That was part of the PPT presentation that was floating around a couple of weeks ago.

If you want to buy the phone with no new commitment, you can keep your old data plan, but you have to pay $429 for that. Cheaper in the long run, actually, but more money up front.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast