1.    #1  
    This is probably a dopey question - is it possible to send emails on a Treo without subscribing to the providers' "data" plans? Are there regular phones that send email, using SMS or MMS??

Thanks for any input.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Visor_1 View Post
    This is probably a dopey question -
    Yup.
  3.    #3  
    OK, so indulge me - how do you do it?
  4.    #4  
    OK, so indulge me - how do you do it?
    sorry - I realise that I made the question extra dopey. What I meant was - is it possible to access your email without subscribing to the data service? I have a POP account and I'm wondering if I can access that without having to pay $30 or $40 a month.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    What I meant was - is it possible to access your email without subscribing to the data service?
    No.
    You can get a minimal data plan or a per/kb dataplan, depending on your service provider.
    I haven't tried it lately but when I got me first Treos 180, 300 I set up a dial-up type connection.

Of course this would be at pretty slow speeds (14.4 or 19.2 maybe). It can be done though. You basically end up treating the phone like an old dial-up modem.

I used to connect to RoadRunner via their modem bank to get my RR mail that way.

Once work started paying for my data I moved up to Vision and haven't looked back.
    It's 9.6k, actually--slow, but adequate for text e-mail.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek