been told that the main problem at the moment was getting the liscences
    for the software on the phone but it was still expected to come out by
    the end of November. I don't know if its true, just telling you what Rogers
    tells me.

I work in the music industry so I normally work on Mac OS X and I know
    that Palm OS is quite compatible with Mac so when I first found out about
    the release I was estatic. There is a possibility that I may be required to
    go oversees early next year so thats why I would prefer to get on the
    GSM network as oppose to CDMA (700p); but now I am unsure what to do.
    As previously mentioned in a thread, Canada is always the last to get our
    products which is so fustrating .

I can't even wait for the 750 because it will be Windows based and would
    require me to dual-boot XP on my Macbok Pro. (extra $220 for an OS)
    My only hope is that a 750 may be released with the Palm OS.

I'm sorry to rant on, I just had to share my feelings with others who
    understand such a difficult time.

Let us all pray. There still may be hope! Ha ha ha....

Caal.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Damn that sucks... I'm waiting as well, although I'm pretty much resigned to buying through Palm direct probably. Would be nice to get some numbers for Rogers up here tho to compare.
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Reapman View Post
    Damn that sucks... I'm waiting as well, although I'm pretty much resigned to buying through Palm direct probably. Would be nice to get some numbers for Rogers up here tho to compare.
    I totally agree wit you Reapman.
    Rogers CSR's are so far behind in Canada
    that I have actually had an employee say "No way, a 680 for Palm is coming out"? OMG .
    I wonder if there will be certain parts of Canada that will see it first or if it will arise everywhere at the same time. At least Rogers will get the red
    one...that is if they put 2 and 2 together that it matches their company colours. hehe. Fingers crossed.

We must have hope. I think its crazy that this product may or may not be launched before Christmas. Thats alot of revenue could be lost. Most people don't have a dime to their name after Christmas until they get back on their feet (Feb.-Mar.). If that is Palm's plan...hmm...not sure how it will sit for existing customers as well as new customers. Remember,
    BB Indigo and Crimson are also scheduled to be released in 1st and 2nd quarter of 07. Come on Palm, why don't we pick up all the new consumers interested in the product so that when other competing come out the majority will be swooped by Palm. I know that most existing customers are loyal to Palm but are still quite upset about the release date (doesn't matter if you were or were not going to buy one) its a new Palm product so everyone is anxious to hear about it.

I think that after reading so many threads on so many sites that "Palmeritis" has rubbed off on me?
    This will be my first smartphone, so first impression is everything.

Caally.
    Think how big the market in Canada is. The answer is NOT big at all, compared to the US. It's only sound business practice to concentrate on the market that will get you the most dough first. The 680 might end up a big hit with Rogers if they play it right, but I really doubt we'll be getting the red one. We already have the 700wx on Telus and Bell though, so we skipped right over the 700w there.

Want a Treo? Always more fun (at least I think so) to go through eBay and get yourself an unlocked Treo. That's what I did with my 650(s).
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    Its the same here in Singapore and I've just lost my T650, caught in a situation not knowing whether to continue waiting for the T680 (if its gonna launch here) or just go get another T650.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Yeah we are a smaller market, much smaller, hence the lower priority. If the 700wx is any indication, then it might very well be after November we receive it. Still doesn't change the fact i wants the precious! :P

I also want an unlocked Treo (I'm actually on a grandfathered unlimited data package with Fido that I can't get anywhere else right now...)
    Treo 600 --> Dell Axim x51v --> Copper 680
    If you are using a mac, you can use missingsync for WM5...That is what I do on my Powerbook G4 and Macbook pro. No need to boot windows unless you just want to. MissingSync says it doesn't support the Treo 750v, but it does...

J
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
    Think how big the market in Canada is. The answer is NOT big at all, compared to the US. It's only sound business practice to concentrate on the market that will get you the most dough first. The 680 might end up a big hit with Rogers if they play it right, but I really doubt we'll be getting the red one. We already have the 700wx on Telus and Bell though, so we skipped right over the 700w there.

Want a Treo? Always more fun (at least I think so) to go through eBay and get yourself an unlocked Treo. That's what I did with my 650(s).
    Kardboard, I do agree with you in the fact that Canada is a smaller market than other territories but I still do believe that this phone will be offered in at least 2 different colours. I have no evidence of this other than a source I have asked through Rogers when I was planing to buy the T650. I also know that talk is cheep especialy when it come to releasing new products; nobody actually knows. Personally, I think there will be a selection of at least 2 colours but the quantities will be low until Palm sees return. Example: 17 graphite, 6 red, 3 white, 7 orange.

The target market Palm is trying to reach is a younger crowd so having one colour like graphite which is more suited for a businessman (not always)
    will not be appealing for the younger crowd. Just my opinion. I think they are just going to test with certain colours to see what sells and then take it from there. Therefore selection will be available if not at the time of the released or after the T680 has been out starts selling.

Caally
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonrhcastle View Post
    If you are using a mac, you can use missingsync for WM5...That is what I do on my Powerbook G4 and Macbook pro. No need to boot windows unless you just want to. MissingSync says it doesn't support the Treo 750v, but it does...

J
    Very interesting, thanks for the information. If the 680 doesn't release in Nov-early Dec. then I will consider going that route. I have heard so many great things about Palm OS and have not yet had the chance to try it. Come on 680!

I have had a chance to play around with the 700wx at Bell and thought it was quite smooth but it was only for a moment so I didn't get to test most of the features. It is a nice device I must say.

Thx for the info. Jason

Caally.
  10.    #10  
    Hey Peeps,

I am not sure if I just made the biggest mistake of my life. As I have previously mentioned about how anxious I have been buying my new T680 and I think it got the best of me today. I walked into Telus today and bought the Treo 700wx. I was really nervous when I bought it, I just had this gut feeling that I was settling because I don't know when the 680 will be released.
    I mentioned that I was on a Macbook Pro but I am aware of the "missingsynch" option which is why I bought it. Honestly I am not a big fan of Windows no offence to anyone, its just that when I switched to Mac I fell in love in OS X that I don't know if I can ever go back. Its a great platform!

Anyways, I am sitting right now with a Treo 700wx in my hand wondering if I should return it tomorrow. I am someone who really can't be bothered with problems or issues and it sounds like many people are going through this with the Treo 700wx as oppose to the 700p which is not yet available here in Canada.

Can anyone please gives me some feedback of whether I made a bad decision or not. My mind is saying "new treo" and my heart is saying "treo 680"; I'm just a really impatient person.

Another reason which I was aware of when I bought the phone was that I will be going to Sweden for business next year and CDMA cannot support it. I'm telling you people, my curiousity got the best of me. I have 14 days to void my contract (3yrs.) with Telus but I would like to handle this asap.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thx

Caally.
    After carefully considering all that you've said I can safely tell you ... you're nuts.

No, seriously, what the heck are you doing? I, too, am an impatient person, and often early adopter, but I do believe you've let your impatience massively colour your judgement. If you want a WM device, you really ought to get a Treo 750 once it comes out from Rogers then get it unlocked (about US $35) when and if you move to Sweeden.

If you really must have something immediately (and I really believe we will see the 680 at least and quite possibly the 750 as well on Rogers before Christmas), then buy yourself a used GSM 650 on eBay. All in all a much cheaper solution than having a 3 year commitment to Telus when you're a year away from moving out of country.

I think the user experience with a 680 / 750 will be one which brings a smile to your face day-after-day for a year or two. That's something worth waiting for, don't you think?

Sorry if my reply was blunt, but you did ask.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    After carefully considering all that you've said I can safely tell you ... you're nuts.

No, seriously, what the heck are you doing? I, too, am an impatient person, and often early adopter, but I do believe you've let your impatience massively colour your judgement. If you want a WM device, you really ought to get a Treo 750 once it comes out from Rogers then get it unlocked (about US $35) when and if you move to Sweeden.

If you really must have something immediately (and I really believe we will see the 680 at least and quite possibly the 750 as well on Rogers before Christmas), then buy yourself a used GSM 650 on eBay. All in all a much cheaper solution than having a 3 year commitment to Telus when you're a year away from moving out of country.

I think the user experience with a 680 / 750 will be one which brings a smile to your face day-after-day for a year or two. That's something worth waiting for, don't you think?

Sorry if my reply was blunt, but you did ask.
    Your right Patrick. I am on my way to return the phone right now. I have 14 days to void my contract no questions asked. I will wait it out. When I got the phone it was completely dead and because of the way I was feeling when I bought it I never even took the charger out of the wrapper in case I wanted to return it (just so they can't say that they can't return it because I opened it-seen it happen before).

Patrick, this is my first smartphone so basically I have to go with what what people who I asume know more about these devices tell me; thats not a fault but rather a lack of knowledge. People who are reps at these companies tell you whatever you want to hear to get the commission off the phone and really have no concrete knowledge of meeting the customers needs (its the people from forums like these who work for the company that give good advice). I do appreciate your feedback because as many reviews I have read I find that in the end its a final judgement call; a call that was wrong. but I learned from the experience and thats what these forums are for which I am very thankful for.

Who knows, maybe by the time I get back the 680 will be out

Thx again

Caally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caally View Post
    Who knows, maybe by the time I get back the 680 will be out
    That's what I'm waiting for. And to whet your appetite here is yet another rumour to keep you going, showing the Treo 680 out on Rogers on November 30th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caally View Post
    Hey everyone,

I am a newbie on this site, but I do share the same passion as many of
    you here on this forum. I'm currently waiting for the T680 to come out for
    Rogers and I was informed today that us Canadians could be waiting till
    January........
    It is not discrimination against Canada but discrimination against GSM. At this point, no one has a delivery date at all, much less earlier than January. Silly Season has been going on for more than a year. It has been six weeks since Palm "announced" the 680 and no one is even taking orders yet. If one wants to do business with Palm, one needs to get used to being diddled and dangled. Palm's attitude is that if one does not like it, one can find another vendor.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    That's what I'm waiting for. And to whet your appetite here is yet another rumour to keep you going, showing the Treo 680 out on Rogers on November 30th.
    Just got back home from returning the 700wx from Telus. Got my money back in my pocket! November 30th can't wait and counting the days. I have a feeling this phone is worth waiting for; thx for the update Patrick.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    It is not discrimination against Canada but discrimination against GSM. At this point, no one has a delivery date at all, much less earlier than January. Silly Season has been going on for more than a year. It has been six weeks since Palm "announced" the 680 and no one is even taking orders yet. If one wants to do business with Palm, one needs to get used to being diddled and dangled. Palm's attitude is that if one does not like it, one can find another vendor.
    Whmurray, you make a very valid point.
    So, I don't know what this means, but if you look at the FCC approval labels for the 680 and 750 what you notice is that the 750 includes a seal indicating CSA approval while the 680 does not.

Can you sell an electronic device in Canada with CSA ratification?