1.    #1  
    Anybody running Windows on there Mac ? How does it come in handy? Thanks !
    Running WinXP Pro in Parallels. It's convenient because I don't need to reboot to use the applications I have for my business that are Windows only.
    how is the speed?
    Running on Bootcamp. Comes in handy for utilities and special apps that need to sync content with a Treo 750v! Faster than any wintel notebook where I work (MacBook Pro 2.16GHz).
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    I've a Mac user and I try to avoid using Windows whenever possible. But sometimes I have a Windows-only application that needs to transfer Palm applications and/or data to the Treo. My main application that fit this criterion are the Garmin GPS programs and map data sets, but the procedure below should work with other programs too. Here's what I do.

1. Install Palm Desktop for Windows on your Windows virtual machine. This virtual Windows machine would be created using Parallels (if you're on an Intel Mac) or Virtual PC (if you have a Power PC Mac).

2. Install your Windows application (for example, Garmin MapSource and City Navigator map data bases) on your virtual Windows machine.

3. Run your Windows application and generate the file(s) that need to be HotSynced to the Treo. DO NOT HotSync when the Windows application tells you to do so. Instead, quit the program. (I recommend NOT HotSyncing on the Virtual PC to upload programs and data to the Treo, because HotSyncing to both Windows and Mac computers causes problems for me, even when I've disabled all conduits other than Install.)

4. Find the file(s) to be HotSynced that you just created. On my Virtual PC running Windows 2000, files to be HotSynced to RAM are at C:\Program Files\Palm\DP\Install\ and files to be HotSynced to the expansion card are at C:\Program Files\Palm\DP\CardInst\Slot-SD\.

5. Copy these files over to the Mac Desktop, then double click on them to open HotSync Manager or Missing Sync (whichever you're using). Make sure you tell HSM or MS to install the files to RAM or the expansion card as appropriate.

6. HotSync on your Mac as usual.
  6.    #6  
    Wow! Thats sounding better. Like a Windows to Mac un-stuffit box !
    Quote Originally Posted by vman51 View Post
    how is the speed?
    Good, as long you don't need 3D graphics (not supported in Parallels) and USB2.0 (also not supported yet). I have Parallels running on a 2,12GHz MacBook Pro with 2GB RAM and it works very well. You won't feel any difference when using "normal" apps like MS Office etc. I sync my Palm through Parallels with MS Outlook and KeySuite (still the best combination available) and even have no problems with large AutoCAD drawings (as long as it remains 2D).

So go give it a try. You will be surprised how little you will use Windows suddenly ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by vman51 View Post
    how is the speed?
    For me the speed is ok. I have PC specific software I have to be able to run and each application runs fine under Parallels. One even has a USB dongle that has to be plugged in and it works well too.

What you are trading is speed for convenience. Parallels still has some limitations, but it doesn't require a reboot to run. As a longtime Mac user it fills my computer use style better. I usually want to use the PC app for the minimum amount of time possible. My needs match well with what Parallels offers.
    The reason I would recommend Bootcamp is that the only real reason I run Windows is an app that needs to talk to a device (like say a Treo 750v) that only runs under Windows. Every emulation/virtual machine setup as a risk of some compatibility issue usually with software drivers/networking. Bootcamp works just like the real hardware, you are really running Windows natively. Since most Mac users want to run Windows as little as possible, having to reboot to get the compatibility is reasonable to me.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    @bobodobo
    I was at the Paris Mac Expo in September and there was a company there that had OSX GPS software and maps that are compatible with most Garmin devices. The name escapes me at the moment but I did get a trial CD which I should be able to dig out if you or anyone else would be interested.
    Thanks heterodoxos. Perhaps you were talking about RouteBuddy? Yes it does work but (apparently, their website isn't very forthcoming) right now it only tells you your position, possibly with a map overlay, but does not appear to do routing. Also, it won't upload maps to a stand-alone GPS. Not fatal flaws in a new program of course, but the limitations are severe enough to make me live with the problems of Virtual PC or Parallels rather than buying a program like RouteBuddy.
    I was using Bootcamp for a few months and switched to parallels. Going from native to virtual magnifies the speed difference, but the convenience is worth it.

One of the benefits to parallels is the ability to swap out different versions of Windows (VERY convenient if you're a developer, and need to do different projects). I've been using Visual Studio .net and a bunch of other resource intensive apps without a problem.

Also, in case you're curious about what works so far:
    For syncing:
    1. Missing Sync on Mac - I have this set up for bluetooth and not USB.
    2. HotSync on Windows - set this up for USB.
    I do this so I don't have to "toggle" any settings manually to sync one or the other. If there's a better solution, let me know.

For Cal/Contacts/Tasks/Memos:
    Outlook XP on Windows / iCal and Address Book on Mac. This seems to be working OK as long as I do NOT add a contact via Mac Address book... When I do, the syncing gets out of whack. Is anyone else syncing Mac and Windows (and has any ideas on this)?