Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Has anyone experienced a problem with using Butler on their 700p where Butler will cause a reset and when the phone reboots, all your preferences are gone? This has happened to me about 10 times and its driving me crazy. I have since disabled Butler and it hasn't happened again, but I would like to utilize the benefits that Butler has. Thanks.
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I have butler installed on my 700P (vzw), and I haven't had any resets at all. Seems pretty solid to me.
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Never had that problem on my Sprint 700p either.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Try Pref Doctor. I had one event recently where my prefs got trashed and have had no issues since.

SMEGGIE
    Never had/heard of Butler causing this.. Why do you say it is Butler?
    Pref Doctor will help solve that problem. I too will ask how you know Butler is causing the issue and what version of Butler are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Never had/heard of Butler causing this.. Why do you say it is Butler?
    Bulter has been destroying preferences for years. I'm not kidding.

Once I uninstalled it from my 650 I stopped losing my preferences. It was night & day, the problem just *stopped*. I never reinstalled it again. However, I've seen Treos with Butler on them that survive their lifetimes without ever wiping preferences. So, meh. But it is a known-about issue.

Reference: Mytreo.net reviews of Butler. At least three people comment about the problem.
    Last edited by g-funkster; 11/07/2006 at 06:11 PM.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Global Posts
    907 Global Posts
    Butler wipes out it's own prefs when upgrading(very annoying) but has never messed with my other apps AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    I've heard other people blame Butler for this, but I've been running it since my (Handspring) treo 600 days, on my 600, 650 and 700P and never had a problem. Did you enable the option in Butler that's designed to help prevent loss of preferences? (Although I've never had any problems even on older versions that didn't have that option.)
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by dwman View Post
    Butler wipes out it's own prefs when upgrading(very annoying) but has never messed with my other apps AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    No it doesn't. Welcome to 2006.
    My experience has been the same as meyerweb. I've had numerous lost prefs resets starting with my 650 but the root cause has never been Butler - always something else. Granted, I don't use all the functions, so perhaps that explains the varying experiences. I've gotten very, very used to having the ones I do use to the point where Butler is pretty indespensible for me anyway.

Even on my 700P, I infrequently get lost prefs resets (mainly coming out of Blazer) but PrefDoctor always rescues the prefs. I haven't had to do a app-by-app rebuild since installing the first beta.

Like everyone else asking - what version did you have problems with? The simplest thing may be you are using an older version that isn't 700p compatible.

I don't like the latent bugs/limitations in PalmOS that cause the lost prefs resets, but PrefDoctor was easily the best money I've spent on 3rd party apps in a long time.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Never had this problem with Butler, but I have lost prefs before, never attributing it to Butler...

I would suggest renaming the Saved_Preferences file in your treo using FileZ, soft-resetting the device, and then enter all your registration info. That solved my problems once and for all on my 650, but I haven't had cause to do this yet on my 700p.

You might also post on Rob's (the author's) forums on mytreo.net. He and the Butler users are very helpful and attentive to issues. Perhaps they have some ideas or might know about your specific problem.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I am using Butler version 3.93. As soon as I disabled Butler I no longer have the problem of random resets and then a loss of all preferences. What function within Butler helps save all the prefs? I love the features of Butler, but I just can't afford to have these random resets and then lose all my preferences. So I guess I am stuck without until a fix comes about.

I am running the following programs, all updated to the latest releases as of today.

Chattermail
    Verichat (with 700p hack)
    Profiles 1.02t
    zlauncher
    Get preference doctor, made by the same person as Butler. It saves your preferences in the vent of a crash. The newest version also clears your db cache automatically to prevent crashing.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thanks. I just downloaded it and will see if that fixes the problem.
    With Preference Doctor, I have all three options enabled. On the 650 I am still experimenting with the cache control and have gotten good results in the 3mb area, am now trying the 2mb. Ben
    I also had it set to clear cache when quitting application and went 3-4 days without crashing. (I've since moved onto the 700wx, but that's another story.)
    Quote Originally Posted by UFGATOR View Post
    Chattermail
    Verichat (with 700p hack)
    Profiles 1.02t
    zlauncher
    I've read about a few problems with ZLauncher and Profiles on the 700p....
    Can't remember where, probably because I don't use either.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommy8 View Post
    I also had it set to clear cache when quitting application and went 3-4 days without crashing. (I've since moved onto the 700wx, but that's another story.)
    I go a week or more on my 650 since installing the 1.20fw..

Seems the only crashes I have anymore is one in GeoNiche dealing with exiting a waypoint detail or note screen. I went 15 days without a crash or reset, then went geocaching and crashed three times in an hour.