Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    As of November 2006, which smartphone would you recommend for Mac users? Are Windows Media 5 based smartphones just too much trouble for the Macs? Should I just get the Palm 700p? Are there compatibility issues with the 700p and Mac (even using Missing Sync and such)? I want a capable/versatile device, but as little trouble/ headaches as possible...
    Any suggestions or comments?

I recently purchased a new iMac and a new Macbook Pro. My Treo 650 has started to do random resets throughout the day and after extensive ineffective troubleshooting with Sprint, I am ready for a new phone.

I am thinking about dumping the outdated Palm OS. The Treo 700wx seems very appealing and I have thought about waiting for the PPC-6800 to come out.

However, I am concerned about the compatibility of the Windows Mobile 5 and the Mac OS/ Tiger. I know that Missing Sync and other 3rd party vendors may help. Yet, I really want the least amount of headaches as possible.

I want an all-in-one device (phones/PDA/camera) need either Palm or WM5 for use with medical reference programs that I use daily. The other fun stuff (streaming/ web/ messaging / gps) is secondary, but always a plus. I am relatively capable in technical stuff, but I really want a device that is reliable and doesn't require a lot of troubleshooting all the time; this is critical.

Any comments/suggestions/recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help.
    I switched from the 600/650/700p to the 700wx and I don't regret it a bit. The wx has been absolutely fabulous. If you have a macbook pro, you can always install windows xp via bootcamp and sync there. That way, you won't have to buy Missing Sync. I haven't tried Missing Sync for WM5, but their palm version works very well. The only problem you "might" have is the ability to extract "exe" files. Most software websites have a cab file download option anyway.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks mommy. Sounds like you really like the 700 wx and WM5.

A couple of issues.. I really like Parallels. Do you think that it will work with parallels just as well? Also, the thing about using Bootcamp/Windows XP for syncing with your phone is that your calender/address book/email must be on the PC side of your computer. I assume that by doing this, you can't sync with your Mac Address book/ calender/ documents. Is this correct?
    I don't see why it wouldn't work with Parallels. I switched my calendar/addressbook/email to an exchange account (4smartphone), so I can use outlook on the PC side or entourage on the mac side.

With that said, you should really give Missing Sync a try first. It'll make things easier if you have no need for XP other than to sync with your wx.
  5.    #5  
    Good point. Thanks Mommy8. I think that I will start to use Entourage as you are using and sync through Parallels.

I use Missing Sync for my Treo 650 and it works well. However, I hear that it is very buggy with WM5.

Given your recommendations, I will probably spring for the Treo 700wx in a couple of days, unless persuaded otherwise by other members of this forum.

Thanks again for the reply.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    I don't know, but for me syncing a handheld via Parallels (if possible) or bootcamp would really defeat the seamless experience that you can get on a Mac.

I guess it all depends what you expect out of your handheld.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks Fly.

Good point. This is an annoying decision for me. The more I think about it, seemless/easy/convenient is what I want. I am willing to sacrifice some extraneous capabilities. That may make Treo 700p the more attractive alternative than the Treo 700w/ PPC-6700/ WM5 devices as a companion to the Mac / Apple.

I wonder what others' experiences have been using Missing Sync with WM5. From what I gather from other threads on the web and this forum is that it doesn't work too well. It's just that I see Palm as a dying OS with less capabilities than WM5. Yet, I suppose it suffices for my mostly professional use of the Smartphone and essential other things.

Thanks for your help. I really should just make a decision and go with it, but it's just a relatively significant investment of time/ money.
    Treo 650 + Mac + iCal + Address Book + MissingSync = for me.
    HotSync (for Windows) on Parallels works too, but I prefer to keep everything on the Mac side.
    Treo 700p + MacBook Pro + Missing Sync + iCal + Address Book= for me too. Add my new Plantronics 645 BT headset and I'm .

I have also synced with Palm Desktop in Parallels using WinXP Pro, but don't recommend it as it is less convenient. You have to work it so Parallels gets control of the palm rather than the Mac. Besides with the Mac you can choose between Palm Desktop or the Apple applications.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Treo 650 + Mac + iCal + Address Book + MissingSync = for me.
    Same.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I've also bee very happy with my 700p and MissingSync experience.

I too thought long and hard about getting a WM5 treo and in the end I determined the setup would be WAY to complicated for my needs. I'm a BIG fan of seemless integration and MS acccomplishes that for me.

If you go the WM5 route please be sure to report your experience back here as I'd be interested to read your findings
    I've been using Missing Sync for Windows Mobile with a 750v and it works OK.

Positives:
    1.) You can mount the device and browse through most of the internal structure and the storage card easily. Works well but seems some areas it doesn't work in like \Windows

Negatives/Neutrals:
    1.) Contacts / Calendar / Tasks only! No notes.
    2.) Big negative (for me), doesn't transfer pictures from AddressBook into WM5 contacts. No idea why they don't do this but it's stupid and not mentioned in the documentation.
    3.) Setup can be a little tricky. Bluetooth synching wasn't working unless the Mac was connected to a network (airport or ethernet). Turns out they need port 990 open. If your firewall is on (you have yours on, right?) and there is a network connection they open this port as needed. But if there is no network connection, they don't try to open the port so the sync stalls. Manually opening the port in the advanced firewall section fixes this.

I use Missing Sync for Palm with a 700p also. The Palm version is a much better value but not bug free either. I've been having lots of issues with the latest version wiping out the ringtones I've set in contacts.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    If I were to go the WM5 route I would use Entourage and a hosted Exchange server. I'm not exactly a huge Microsoft fan but the Exchange sync works quite well. This means you can stay in OSX for all your data and would only need to use XP, via Parallels or Bootcamp, when you need to install an application or backup.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis View Post
    I've been using Missing Sync for Windows Mobile with a 750v and it works OK.

Positives:
    1.) You can mount the device and browse through most of the internal structure and the storage card easily. Works well but seems some areas it doesn't work in like \Windows
    How are you doing this? There is no way to mount the storage card through missing sync, It has something to do with the way WM5 is designed. Synctunes doesn't even see the card.

Missing sync wm5 does not work like the missing sync for POS. There is no way of seeing your external card on iTunes or iPhoto. The app is very buggy.
    Negatives/Neutrals: 1.) Contacts / Calendar / Tasks only! No notes.
    Really? Missing Sync for Palm OS includes a stand-alone memos application that syncs with memos on the Treo. Not the Window Mobile version?
    Also the picture ID sync works in the Palm version (as it should.)

By the way, I'm having some trouble with Missing Sync now. Sometimes it refuses to sync iCal (other conduits work fine), takes forever, Activity Monitor shows that it's consuming all of the Mac's RAM and processor cycles, Mac gets very hot, goes nowhere, have to "Force Quit" Missing Sync, and pull out the stylus to soft reset the Treo. Even then I still have to go into Activity Monitor to force quit Conduit Manager. The only solution I've found is just to keep trying, resetting sync history, set iCal to over-write Treo, eventually it clears up. SUGGESTION: once you get Missing Sync working properly, DON'T CHANGE A THING! My problems start whenever I try to change even the simplest configurations (e.g. conduit settings.)
    Missing Sync for WM mounts fine. Click the mount icon at the top of the Missing Sync window. Then you have access to the device. Open the folder "Storage Card". That's the storage card. Very simple. If you're not seeing that, you are doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    How are you doing this? There is no way to mount the storage card through missing sync, It has something to do with the way WM5 is designed. Synctunes doesn't even see the card.

Missing sync wm5 does not work like the missing sync for POS. There is no way of seeing your external card on iTunes or iPhoto. The app is very buggy.
    Figures! They just released version 3.0 today. It supposedly adds Note synching and photo contact synching!

Quote Originally Posted by bobodobo View Post
    Really? Missing Sync for Palm OS includes a stand-alone memos application that syncs with memos on the Treo. Not the Window Mobile version?
    Also the picture ID sync works in the Palm version (as it should.)

By the way, I'm having some trouble with Missing Sync now. Sometimes it refuses to sync iCal (other conduits work fine), takes forever, Activity Monitor shows that it's consuming all of the Mac's RAM and processor cycles, Mac gets very hot, goes nowhere, have to "Force Quit" Missing Sync, and pull out the stylus to soft reset the Treo. Even then I still have to go into Activity Monitor to force quit Conduit Manager. The only solution I've found is just to keep trying, resetting sync history, set iCal to over-write Treo, eventually it clears up. SUGGESTION: once you get Missing Sync working properly, DON'T CHANGE A THING! My problems start whenever I try to change even the simplest configurations (e.g. conduit settings.)
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Figures! They just released version 3.0 today. It supposedly adds Note synching and photo contact synching!
    ..which were my two biggest gripes with MS for WM5...

I've read a TON of 700wx/700p comparisons, and I think PalmOS is still the best choice for me. I've used WM devices in the past, and I've never been able to get used to the UI; I've found it generally too complicated and lacking in shortcuts.
    yes the storage card feature is there. But, it didnt sync with Itunes or iPhoto, that is until the current update.
    happy bithday.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast