1.    #1  
    I rcvd an sms from a friend and everytime i try to open his sms it resets the phone - i have tried a soft & hard reset as well as trying to delete and purge his messages (delete & purge = lock up the phone) PLEASE HELP!!!
    currently the only sms left on the phone is his because it is possessed!
    Someone else will no doubt have the correct answer and will be able to point you there directly. . . . .

However, it sounds like the SMS is corrupted and we need to delete the SMS data base on the Treo 650.

Do you have fileZ from www.nosleep.net ??

It is a freeware file manager for the Palm OS. With it, you can manage individual files on the Treo -- as in delete. Be careful -- only delete what you are sure about.

I do not know the name of the SMS database on the Treo.

Good luck. If all fails -- you will need to do a "clean install", but others should be able to rescue you before that is necessary.

Cheers, Perry.
  3.    #4  
    it also reset a few times when i tried to look at my card ... i have dataviz - thats in with third party software - i have babied this phone - it has barely seen sunlight let alone been anything else ... aren't firmwares bad?
    the problem is your friend- ditch him; he's a loser!

laughs.

no, the problem is a in the dbase due to a problem with a previous SMS. the correct answer is as above; delete the file SMS messages. then soft reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by bifferbean View Post
    it also reset a few times when i tried to look at my card ... i have dataviz - thats in with third party software - i have babied this phone - it has barely seen sunlight let alone been anything else ... aren't firmwares bad?

If deleting the SMS Messages file from the Treo does not cure the problem -- you may have another software conflict.

Did you own a Palm OS device prior to the 650? Did you convert to the 650 by just Hot Syncing to your old device's userid? If so -- you have software conflicts that need to be eliminated. (The 650 chokes on prior device settings brought forward in this manner.)

Even if this is not the case -- software conflicts can arise and need to be dealt with via a CLEAN INSTALL. This means doing a hot sync as a final back up, renaming your backup folder so only your PIM data is restored, then installing all 3rd party fresh (not from a backup) so no corrupted settings are just brought back to the device from the backup: (ignore the last hot sync of the 600 step, do a last hot sync of the 650 instead and you do not need to reinstall the 650 CD)

CLEAN INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    http://treo.discuss.treocentral.com/...ad.php?t=99450

Cheers, Perry
    Last edited by gtwo; 11/07/2006 at 03:27 PM.
    With a file manager (like FileZ or FileProg), find and delete the file "Messages Database". This will delete all your SMS. Soft reset if you want after. This should resolve your issue.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    I rcvd an sms from a friend and everytime i try to open his sms it resets the phone - i have tried a soft & hard reset as well as trying to delete and purge his messages (delete & purge = lock up the phone) PLEASE HELP!!!
    currently the only sms left on the phone is his because it is possessed!
    I once experienced that when certain people sent me messages it would reset. I could not read the message when it got back up. It did not help to purge the chat with that person, and neither all messages.

I did however get it to work by deleting that contact and adding it again.
  8.    #9  
    i downloaded filez - deleting message database worked --- so far --- THANKS --- what is causing this issue though?
    i downloaded filez - deleting message database worked --- so far --- THANKS --- what is causing this issue though?
    What's funny is, no one seems to know the answer to that question. Must be a problem with the core messaging application. I hope PALM would release a firmware upgrade that would fix this issue. For now though, I suggest you get MsgBackup so you can backup your messages in case you need to delete the Messages Database again in the future.
    I just keep my messages cleared out. If there is something in particular I need to save I copy it and put it into a memo. Not possible for everyone, but I don't use my text messaging all that much. I use Verichat and Versamail much, much more.