Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I know email is the obvious answer, but what else? I have a palm phone (i500) and discontinued the data plan long ago for $$$ and usage reasons. I'm considering a Treo 650, but am not sure the web speed is fast enough to make it practical. So help me out

Besides email, what do you use your web access for?
    speed I would compare to DSL I had years ago. I use mine for everything I do on my home desktop.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    As I type this, I'm sitting in a hotel room in Florida listening to the National Public Radio station back home in Boston using my Treo 650 and pTunes.

I use the Treo to access the web to get real-time wind direction and speed from a remote weather station when I'm sailing my boat. I can also check wave conditions from a number of remote recording buoys.

I can check on my boat at its mooring when I'm out of town using a remote webcam.

I can check the status of airline flights as I drive to the airport.

Internet access makes it easy for me to purchase and download software upgrades directly to the phone.

I use the Treo and access to the internet to check this website and others when I'm not near my laptop.
    Cingular GSM
    Software Treo 650 1.17-CNG
    Firmware 1.51
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    Jazz Treo - I would love to see exactly how you have your setup for your boat and treo. I live on a Cal 31. I also use a webcam, but the site is javascript base, so I haven't been able to see an image on my treo. I would also like to see what web pages you use to check buoys and weather.

Thanks for the help.
    Besides e-mail on 4 accounts
    News
    Weather
    Sports
    Maps
    Movies
    Stocks
    Dictionary
    Connection to TreoCentral
    Connection to Work Mainframe

Cheers, Perry.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    For local wind conditions and forecasts I subscribe to www.sailflow.com. Their site renders perfectly on the Treo 650.

For recording buoys I go to www.gomoos.org. It's specific to the Gulf of Maine. If you live elsewhere, check www.noaa.gov. Unlike gomoos which offers both government and private buoys, the NOAA site will only offer government buoys but there is likely to be one close to your local waters. Google for private buoys in your area.

If you need Java script to run your webcam try going here http://pluggedin.palm.com/regac/pluggedin/Java.jsp. It's worked great for me.

Finally, if you want tide tables for your area check out www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidetool. I can't live without it.
    Cingular GSM
    Software Treo 650 1.17-CNG
    Firmware 1.51
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz Treo View Post
    For local wind conditions and forecasts I subscribe to www.sailflow.com. Their site renders perfectly on the Treo 650.

For recording buoys I go to www.gomoos.org. It's specific to the Gulf of Maine. If you live elsewhere, check www.noaa.gov. Unlike gomoos which offers both government and private buoys, the NOAA site will only offer government buoys but there is likely to be one close to your local waters. Google for private buoys in your area.

If you need Java script to run your webcam try going here http://pluggedin.palm.com/regac/pluggedin/Java.jsp. It's worked great for me.

Finally, if you want tide tables for your area check out www.toolworks.com/bilofsky/tidetool. I can't live without it.

Great information.... Especially the Java script.
    treocentral...gmail...google maps (ALOT)...verichat (aim, yahoo, msn)...craigs list (recently apt searching)...and probably more that I can't think of right now.
    Mostly the above but ill share mine;

Web
    IM
    Email
    Checking the latest Football scores / news
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Web Browsing including:
    movie times
    time and expense entry on my company's system
    checking email (Yahoo)
    IMDB
    white and yellow pages lookups
    maps and directions
    random site lookups.
    ESPN sports scores and if I can't watch a game, near real-time play-by-play
    weather

Versamail:
    checking email for my corporate and BellSouth accounts

Verichat:
    real-time IM client for all 3 of my chat accounts on Yahoo, AOL, and MSN

Misc:
    FlightStatus - check flight status and view real-time map of flight's position
    GoogleMaps - maps of current location or retrieving driving directions

All of these apps use the data connection and make it worth the $19.99/month unlimited data fee.