Page 26 of 64 FirstFirst ... 16212223242526272829303136 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman View Post
    help... updated to 51 build this morning on my way to work. it seems to have slowed things down a lot. I have a treo 700p.

when I press the phone button now, I am switched immediately to Takephone but there is a 3-4 second delay while the contacts db is loaded. I see a blank contacts list window during this time.
    I have the same lag since updating to build 51 on my 700P
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    help... updated to 51 build this morning on my way to work. it seems to have slowed things down a lot. I have a treo 700p.

when I press the phone button now, I am switched immediately to Takephone but there is a 3-4 second delay while the contacts db is loaded. I see a blank contacts list window during this time.
    I see this too on my 700P with both 50 and 51.
  3.    #503  

This must be because of your default email app - checking it for unread mail.
    To make sure - here are two tests:

1. Launch the built-in PHONE application, and see if it has the same lag - from the time you launch it, till the time it shows the correct unread mail count. During that time - it will not respond to any key presses.

2. In TAKEphONE - check off the "Show mail" in "Display" prefs page - see
    if the lag disappears.

Let me know...
    Shimon Shnitzer
    Maker of TAKEphONE, 2day, 4cast, 2dial & CallCards -
    "Take telephony into your Palm"
    Web: http://www.shsh.com/products
    Blog: http://www.shsh.com/wordpress
    eMail: contact@shsh.com
  4.    #504  
    Quote Originally Posted by duke duke View Post
    I'm not going to be much help here, sorry. I do know I wasn't roaming nor did I did I have forwarding enabled. I'll keep a closer watch if it happens again.

duke
    Thanks.

Let me know...
    Shimon Shnitzer
  5.    #505  
    Quote Originally Posted by swieder View Post
    I am not a big fan of these visual changes
    Treo: Moved forwarding & speaker status icons to top line (always visible).

Treo: Moved missed calls & voicemail statis icons to top line
    (blinking alerts on title).

No need for me to always see the speaker status icon. I find the blinking icons over the title to be annoying and it looks lousy.

I know this is a "can't satisfy everyone" situation" for you. One way to satisfy everyone would be to make the icon bar configurable so that users can pick which icon they want and where it should go. Zlauncher does a nice job of this with their tool bars.
    Hi,

Which change offends you the most ?

- Speaker, roaming, forwarding: why would you mind those showing up - they do not take room of any other info ?

- I see your point about the "alert" ones.
    - Will try to make them prettier (any suggestions are welcome).
    - Might add the option to show/where later on - right now
    I want to stabilize a version so I can declare a release...

Thanks
    a version
    Shimon Shnitzer
    yeah... this is the issue. why isn't this a problem in 2day?
    is there anything I can tell my email provider to have this speed up?
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKEphONE View Post
    Hi,

- Speaker, roaming, forwarding: why would you mind those showing up - they do not take room of any other info ?

Thanks
    a version
    This wasn't addressed to me, but I just thought I'd quickly chime in here and give you some feedback. I like the blinking alerts (missed call/voicemail), I just wish that they were able to be cleared through the "attention manager." If that doesn't happen, then it would be nice to have an option to show/not show the alerts.

I rather quite like seeing the icon for Mute/vibrate status, that has been a welcome change and I find it useful. Of course, as has been mentioned, you can't please everyone so (time permitting) it might make sense to make these optional. Oh, and thanks for now showing "roaming" status!
    Hi,

Thanks
    a version
    I can wait. Stability 1st.

I use forwarding, but rarely. Would not miss that one at all.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  10.    #510  
    yeah... this is the issue. why isn't this a problem in 2day?
    Hi,

Depending on settings, 2day may not use the same interface to count emails.
    (it also does not show emails count in the main screen, so it does not need to count ALL unread emails - it stops at the first one it finds).

I might replace the "official Palm OS interface" I am using in TAKEphONE with the one I use in 2day later on (after I release the first 7.00 build).
    Shimon Shnitzer
  11.    #511  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail View Post
    This wasn't addressed to me, but I just thought I'd quickly chime in here and give you some feedback. I like the blinking alerts (missed call/voicemail), I just wish that they were able to be cleared through the "attention manager." If that doesn't happen, then it would be nice to have an option to show/not show the alerts.

I rather quite like seeing the icon for Mute/vibrate status, that has been a welcome change and I find it useful. Of course, as has been mentioned, you can't please everyone so (time permitting) it might make sense to make these optional. Oh, and thanks for now showing "roaming" status!
    You can clear them using:
    Missed calls - Menu+X
    Voicemail - Menu+V
    Forwarding - Menu+W

Dont want to set them as system alert (for access with the "attention manager"), cause it would add complexity to TAKEphONE code (handling it system wide) - I want to reduce complexity to stabilize.

I might an option later on to display them the same way as I display roaming & forwarding - smaller icons near the radio icon.
    Shimon Shnitzer
  12.    #512  
    I might an option later on to display them the same way as I display roaming & forwarding - smaller icons near the radio icon.
    How is this ? (image attached)

I think those Voicemail & Missed call icons dont stand out enough this way.

Maybe I can make them blink at that position ?
    Or over the forwarding & roaming icons (to save screen space) ?

I do NOT want to make this an option right now, so any vote counts:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Leave it as it is - a blinking alert icons over the title.

2. Show it as steady (not blinking) small icons ('V' & 'X') besides the 'roaming' & 'forwarding' icons (near the radio icon).

3. Show it as blinking small icons ('V' & 'X') besides the 'roaming' & 'forwarding' icons (near the radio icon).

4. Show it as blinking small icons ('V' & 'X') OVER (on top) the 'roaming' & 'forwarding' icons (near the radio icon).

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TAKEphONE; 03/28/2007 at 01:34 AM.
    Shimon Shnitzer
    You can clear them using:
    Missed calls - Menu+X
    Voicemail - Menu+V
    Forwarding - Menu+W

Dont want to set them as system alert (for access with the "attention manager"), cause it would add complexity to TAKEphONE code (handling it system wide) - I want to reduce complexity to stabilize.

I'm all for not adding unneeded complexity. On the other hand, as it stands right now, it appears that I have to clear both the system alerts (for missed calls and voicemail) and then additionally clear Takephone's alerts. This sort of doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I might be missing something important?

2. Show it as steady (not blinking) small icons ('V' & 'X') besides the 'roaming' & 'forwarding' icons (near the radio icon).

3. Show it as blinking small icons ('V' & 'X') besides the 'roaming' & 'forwarding' icons (near the radio icon).

4. Show it as blinking small icons ('V' & 'X') OVER (on top) the 'roaming' & 'forwarding' icons (near the radio icon).

Thanks!
    Well, out of those options, I would definitely be for "1. Leave it as it is - a blinking alert icons over the title." I really don't like the look of the 'V" & 'X' If this isn't going to be something that one can handle through the normal "attention manager" (and I understand why), then I would really like to see an option that would enable me to not have to clear the alerts in both Takephone and the attention manager. I totally appreciate the effort, but as it stands right now, this seems a bit redundant (sort of like this post).
    Hi,

(it also does not show emails count in the main screen, so it does not need to count ALL unread emails - it stops at the first one it finds).

I might replace the "official Palm OS interface" I am using in TAKEphONE with the one I use in 2day later on (after I release the first 7.00 build).
    I'm actually using Sprint Business Connection email. Hmm.. I never realized it was even slowing down the Palm OS interface. I tried some really old versions of Business Connection and they all slow down the phone application. Interesting...

I guess I'll have to turn off email monitoring in Takephone 7.0 (bummer). You might want to let people know about that with Sprint Business Connection in your docs somewhere. A lot of Sprint users use this email service and they might think your app is faulty.

It isn't so evident in the Regular Treo phone app because the app just starts slow..it doesn't have an empty box while its waiting for the email app to return stuff.

2Day interface would definitely be desirable.
  16.    #516  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail View Post
    I'm all for not adding unneeded complexity. On the other hand, as it stands right now, it appears that I have to clear both the system alerts (for missed calls and voicemail) and then additionally clear Takephone's alerts. This sort of doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I might be missing something important?
    Hi,

The missed call system alert should be automatically cleared when you clear the TAKEphONE alert for this (Menu+X).
    (cant do it the other way around - cant know when you cleared the system one).

The voicemail alert - did not know there was such an alert - I use a GSM device...
    I can clear that one, too, I believe. I need someone to test it for me, though.
    Shimon Shnitzer

Thanks!
    i vote for leave as is
    the new v and x icons i def do not like the look of , the most important thing about the phone is to make sure i know who called and any voicemails so i like all the attention that the flashing icons give and i do not find it to be a hassel to use short keys to disable once read
    Hi,

Shimon,

I still think this is a problem in build 50/51.
    I didn't notice it in build 42.

I don't have 42 anymore, but I reloaded build 22. It displays the emails with no lag in drawing the screen.

So what changed? Change it back?

Same here. Entering and exiting TakePhone with build 51 is much slower than before.
    This must be because of your default email app - checking it for unread mail.
    To make sure - here are two tests:
    Can't speak for the OP, but I have no unread mail on my Treo. I generally don't use it for email, on on the rare occasion when I do, it's manually checked, read, and deleted, not pushed to me.
    1. Launch the built-in PHONE application, and see if it has the same lag - from the time you launch it, till the time it shows the correct unread mail count. During that time - it will not respond to any key presses.
    The delay here is measured in microseconds.

2. In TAKEphONE - check off the "Show mail" in "Display" prefs page - see if the lag disappears.
    "Show mail" is not enabled here. Neither is the calendar. The only one of those buttons that was enabled is to show SMS, and unchecking that makes no discernible difference.