1.    #1  
    I am seriously thinking about going completely to Missing Sync and getting rid of Palm Desktop on my Mac.

Only problem is the memo application. Can anyone recommend a third party memo app that works with the Mac?

Thanks
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    MissingSync comes with it's own memo application that syncs with your Treo's memo pad.
    I second the missingsync app. It works well with mac. I havent had to use palm desktop in ages....I use it with entourage and it does the job for me.

Good luck...
    You can continue to use Palm memo even if you switch to Missing Sync. The downside to Missing sync memopad is there's no export option.
    Let's pile on! I've also dumped Palm Desktop in favor of iCal, Address Book and Missing Sync's Memo Pad application.

In term of exporting memos, why not just highlight the memo text, copy, and paste the text into whatever other application you have? Or you have so many memos you want an automated process for exporting?
  6.    #6  
    I downloaded Missing Sync and like it so far. Is it safe to trash the palm desktop app? I suppose you have to leave the hotsync manager alone since Missing Sync uses that?

Also something else that is annoying me. Versamail keeps downloading messages I have deleted on the Treo. Why doesn't it remember what it downloads?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
    I downloaded Missing Sync and like it so far. Is it safe to trash the palm desktop app? I suppose you have to leave the hotsync manager alone since Missing Sync uses that?
    I get the impression that you don't need ANY Palm software on your Mac if you use Missing Sync. I don't think you need to use anything from HotSync Manager, in fact I don't think HotSync does anything since it's been over-ridden by MS. You use MS's own Desktop applicaiton for controlling conduit actions, installations, connection types, etc. I haven't been brave enough to do the experiment yet, however.

As far as I know Missing Sync is a stand-alone program, whereas iSync is different, iSync just a fancy Palm HotSync conduit for Address, Calendar and Tasks functions. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here.
    Last edited by bobodobo; 11/08/2006 at 01:29 AM. Reason: clarification
    While Missing Sync does indeed include a Memo app that syncs with your Treo memos, the app itself is terrible for one huge reason - as you type into memos, the app takes FOREVER to show your typing on screen. Basically, it is so slow as to be totally unusable. The frustrating thing is that users have been complaining about this to MarkSpace (publishers of Missing Sync) for many months, and they've done nothing to fix it!

Thus, while there is another Memo app for your Mac that would theoretically allow you to ditch Palm Desktop completely, it is so fundamentally flawed as to be unusable. My solution - use Palm Desktop ONLY for memos, and the Mac's own applications (plus Missing Sync) for everything else.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Stickybrain 3 or 4
    Sticky Brain 3 didn't support categories for memos as I recall.
    Sticky Brain has been dropped and replaced by another software package.
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarcus View Post
    While Missing Sync does indeed include a Memo app that syncs with your Treo memos, the app itself is terrible for one huge reason - as you type into memos, the app takes FOREVER to show your typing on screen. Basically, it is so slow as to be totally unusable.
    Hmmm... no problem for me. Characters show up in a memo as fast as I can tickle the keyboard. I'm on a G4 processor, not a newer Intel processor, if that matters.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scotttreo View Post
    Sticky Brain 3 didn't support categories for memos as I recall.
    Sticky Brain has been dropped and replaced by another software package.
    Stickybrain was replaced by SOHO notes, which is supposed to be full of bugs.

If you look hard enough, I'm sure that you an still find copies of Stickybrain around though.

Even Stickybrain 4 doesn't do categories properly - it keeps a separate set of categories for each device. It's difficult at first, but I find it more useful than traditional categories. It just takes some getting used to.