Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I have a Verizon 700P. It seems that EVDO on my Treo700W was faster than now on my Treo700P. Am i just imagining that? I get terrible data speeds on dslreport but that could be due to Blazer.
    Its not not that the evdo is faster on the W its just that blazer sucks on the P it has limitations that do not allow it to take full advantage of the EVDO, if you try using the thedered mode on your laptop or something you will see the edvo is just as fast.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    It is not that EVDO is slower on the 700p than the 700w per se, but as rick2203 pointed out, is the software that makes it appear slower. Blazer renders text on websites faster than IE, but IE shows the entire page (with images) faster than Blazer.

If you test the phone as a modem only (connected to your PC/laptop) you may get a true sense of EVDO speeds between the two models.
    Before I got my treo700p I went to the sprint store thinking I was going to get the windows since it would be faster.. They had none on display but luckily they had them in the back so I was able to hold both of them side by side. As for speed it seemed to be a draw sometimes the palm would open a site faster and each one would seem to get "stuck" loading a pice of data every once in a while, I really could not find a clear winner in terms of speed, but the guy at the store told me that the windows one was having a lot of phone problems and he had personally just traded in his 700wx for a 700p. I really hope that a 3rd party makes a good browser for palm I know the phones evdo is very fast you can tell that from downloading files on the phone or streaming video and audio.
    I disagree with Andrew above, I don't think he actually himself compared real world side by side -- we have both WX and P and the WX is considerably and consistently faster rendering web pages.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Would Opera Mini be faster than blazer?
    My wx gets faster speed results on dslreports and appears to render pages faster than blazer did on my 700p.

Opera Mini is going to be more subjective because it goes through a proxy and thus dslreports gives really high speed number because its the proxy its measuring rather than the 700p data connection.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    I disagree with Andrew above, I don't think he actually himself compared real world side by side -- we have both WX and P and the WX is considerably and consistently faster rendering web pages.
    Yea I just made it up since I am a die hard palm user.. Wow you are tard. I did compare them side by side and I found for the most part it was a draw on which one won. But again the guy at the sprint store had a 700P and told me he just changed from the wx, after talking with him he seemed to know a lot of about treos and I ended up with the 700p.

I really dont think you have compared both of them side by side, you have to have them right next to each other and you will realize its a draw most of the time, neither browser is any good.
    Quote Originally Posted by stroths View Post
    My wx gets faster speed results on dslreports and appears to render pages faster than blazer did on my 700p.

Opera Mini is going to be more subjective because it goes through a proxy and thus dslreports gives really high speed number because its the proxy its measuring rather than the 700p data connection.
    DSL reports is seriously crap for speed test, I get a wide range of speeds from them I find 2wire to be more consistent and it also shows higher speed results which make sense since the speed tests from DSL reports would basically make it impossible to steam XM radio which I do everyday for hours on end without a glitch.

I dont even use DSL reports for testing my cable connection anymore, my cable is way to fast from them to get an accurate reading if I test with them I will get fluctuations of 5mb/second, I only use speakeasy which gives consistence tests.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewAz View Post
    DSL reports is seriously crap for speed test, I get a wide range of speeds from them I find 2wire to be more consistent and it also shows higher speed results which make sense since the speed tests from DSL reports would basically make it impossible to steam XM radio which I do everyday for hours on end without a glitch.

I dont even use DSL reports for testing my cable connection anymore, my cable is way to fast from them to get an accurate reading if I test with them I will get fluctuations of 5mb/second, I only use speakeasy which gives consistence tests.
    Although I agree DSLReports to be bad (I like Verizon's), 2wire is off the charts insanity...

On my 6700 I was getting 2.1mbps. that's mbps. that is also impossible. I think 2wire is measuring "burst" speed not sustained, which is very misleading for a "speed report", imo. If you are seeing EvDO speeds of 800kbps+, it's probably bogus.

Also to speed up PIE, it is very benefiical and easy to change the DNS servers to something else (e.g. opendns.com). This makes a HUGE difference in "finding" websites as it speeds up the process significantly (this does not, of course, increase bandwidth). (You can also do this to your home router for PC browsing).

Although similiar, the Palm's have that whole HA address thing. Not sure how similar they are in improving thigs, but the DNS for Windows is huge. Mostly b/c Sprint's DNS servers are awful.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr View Post
    Would Opera Mini be faster than blazer?
    I think opera mini is a decent browser and good to have for pages that don't display correctly in Blazer. But overall, I continue to use Blazer... The interface is more friendly and I think it's faster and better overall than opera mini.