1.    #1  
    Any ideas on when this will work with my Verizon Treo 700P?
    It is working great today on my Verizon Treo 700p.

You need email app with SSL encryption. I use Agendus Mail SSL version ($24.95) found here:

http://www.iambic.com/emailssl/palmos/

You can try before you buy! Here is some info to help you get set up:

First you must enable POP in Gmail's account settings. Then the client settings are shown below ...

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL: pop.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 995

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587

Account Name: your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com')
    Email Address: your full Gmail email address (username@gmail.com)
    Password: your Gmail password
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    It is working great today on my Verizon Treo 700p.

You need email app with SSL encryption. I use Agendus Mail SSL version ($24.95) found here:

http://www.iambic.com/emailssl/palmos/

You can try before you buy! Here is some info to help you get set up:

First you must enable POP in Gmail's account settings. Then the client settings are shown below ...

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL: pop.gmail.com
    Use SSL: Yes
    Port: 995

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
    Use Authentication: Yes
    Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
    Port: 465 or 587

Account Name: your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com')
    Email Address: your full Gmail email address (username@gmail.com)
    Password: your Gmail password
    I don't think you get the post, gmail has an app that you can dowload directly to your phone for email using the link provided above, the OP isn't looking for another email client.
    The gmail app works fine on my Verizon 700p.

Do you have Java installed?
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    works fine on my sprint 700p... but its ugly... scaling is off or osmething

looks better in blazer

m.gmail.com
    Mines work perfectly, I have a verizon 700p, twobrain is right it looks better on blazer
    I'm StayFly, its not just a name its a lifestyle, so get some style in your life
    Versamail is already setup to use Gmail. You just put in your Gmail address and the wizard does the rest!!
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    on a sprint 700p, you can only load it on to the SD card. What next? it doesn't appear on the applications home page and you can't launch it from the card using Zlauncher. What am I missing here???
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    On another thread MoseGiganticus said to try

delete java, re-install java, reboot palm, retry download.

That worked for me also, I had a very difficult time getting it to download earlier.
    Agendus SSL 5.23 handles GMail just fine too. I finally got the java version loaded up, but I'm not impressed, at least not to make me drop it from Agendus.

b.b.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I couldn't get the http://gmail.com/app to get me to the download page, so I finally found a direct link from Lifehacker. If you have Java installed already, then use this link directly from Blazer, pick "Save", choose "Device", then "Save and Run". It'll send you over to the IBM JVM app, which will complete the download and do an install. You can then launch it either from within the IBM JVM, or you can find the icon from the Launcher ... it'll be filed under "Unfiled".

Unfortunately, it's not recognized as Application by the Buttons Prefs (or McPhling or LudusP), so anytime I want to run it, I have to go to the launcher and then launch it from there. The link above is for the Generic Advanced MIDP2 JAD file, and I just found the Treo-specific version as well. It's here. There are definite differences ... smaller graphics and fonts in the Treo version (labeled for the 650), but I have to tap the screen to use the Menu. If I recall correctly, with the Advanced version I was able to use the Menu hardkey to activate the menu without touching the screen.

Since I'm now using the Treo version, here are some of the keystrokes: the Home button opens the highlighted message, the Calendar button pages up, the Mail button pages down, 0 takes you to the Inbox, 1 is Search Mail, 2 is Compose Mail, 3 is Mark as Unread, 7 is Delete, 8 is Report Spam, 9 is Archive, * is Add Star. I may have missed some things, and I'm not sure, but these are probably the same as the Generic version.
  12.    #12  
    I found this on the Google help page regarding the new "Gmail for mobile application":

"Note: The Gmail application doesn't currently work with T-Mobile USA or BREW-based carriers (e.g. Verizon, Alltel, U.S. Cellular)."

Any suggestions? I have a Treo 700p for Verizon.
    Last edited by marsle; 11/04/2006 at 06:46 AM.
    I installed this pretty easily. Just went to the url and everything was automatic. I did have have installed previously... All I really had to do was log in. In the end, its a decent app, and I think it's better than m.gmail.com.

Only complaint is that I don't see a way we can use the gmail chat feature. I think there has been a blueberry app that does this for quite some time now. bummer.
  14.    #14  
    When I try to download the app, it says: "Your device does not support this file type".
    Quote Originally Posted by marsle View Post
    I found this on the Google help page regarding the new "Gmail for mobile application":

"Note: The Gmail application doesn't currently work with T-Mobile USA or BREW-based carriers (e.g. Verizon, Alltel, U.S. Cellular)."

Any suggestions? I have a Treo 700p for Verizon.
    I have no idea why Google insists on posting that on their pages; it simply isn't true. If your phone supports Java, it doesn't matter what carrier you're running.... as long as you have the proper Internet capabilities, the app will work. Alltel, VZW, and USCC all have at least one Java capable phone.
    Yes, I got it working on Verizon Wireless with my 700p, but as others said, I'm not impressed. It's a memory and resource (CPU cycles) hog. I suspect the Java applet is running in the background all the time. I like my Gmail just fine on Agendus Mail SSL.
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    Yes, I got it working on Verizon Wireless with my 700p, but as others said, I'm not impressed. It's a memory and resource (CPU cycles) hog. I suspect the Java applet is running in the background all the time. I like my Gmail just fine on Agendus Mail SSL.
    Any slowdown you may be experiencing when not inside the GMail app has nothing to do with google or java. Java on the Palm OS has absolutely no background support.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    I have no idea why Google insists on posting that on their pages; it simply isn't true. If your phone supports Java, it doesn't matter what carrier you're running.... as long as you have the proper Internet capabilities, the app will work. Alltel, VZW, and USCC all have at least one Java capable phone.
    So how do I install it?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    I still cant find it
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    I'll stick with chatter, but I love the fact google is supporting us! Thanks Google!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler